Pharrell GQ Interview Responds To GIRL Album Cover Critics

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
First, he reminded GQ’s Zach Baron that there was indeed a Black woman on the album. She simply had light skin. Later in the interview, however, he explained that being Black is about so much more than a skin color.
“This is the new Black,” he said after questioning why so many Black people are interested in tearing each other down. “Oprah Winfrey: That’s the new Black. She’s a Black billionaire. President Obama: He is a Black American president…That’s the new Black. LeBron James: the first Black man ever shot on a Vogue cover, a Black man. Me: a guy that’s written a song at 40! Nominated for an Oscar, four Grammy awards – at 40! That’s the new Black!”
He then added, “Black is a spirit, and it is ubiquitous.”
The award-winning producer also believes that insecurity caused some Black women to be upset with his album cover.

“There were a lot of Black women that were really angry at some of those girls, but some of those girls are the ones that instantly get mad when they don’t see somebody that’s dark,” he said. “And it’s like: ‘Yo, you don’t need nobody to represent you. You represent you. You represent the best version of who you could be. You go out there and change the world.’ Because I’m Black, and I wouldn’t trade my skin color for nothing. But I don’t need to keep wearing a badge that tells you that I’m Black every time I do something!”
Pharrell on Album Cover Controversy After pointing out that his mother is Black and she runs his company and that his wife is Black, Pharrell dove deeper into the real issue surrounding the album cover controversy – people who are assigning levels to “Blackness.”

The Black woman on the cover didn’t receive recognition as being Black simply because she was of a lighter complexion.

“So why are we still having this conversation?” he asked. “Because look:” Lenny Kravitz is biracial, but to me and everybody else I know, he’s known as one of the biggest Black rock stars of all time. Our president: He’s biracial! Mom was white, daddy was Black, and he is Black. So what do you want me to do, go picket in front of the White House that he’s not Black enough?”
According to Pharrell, instead of trying to “point around and ask for that kind of sympathy,” Black people should “get together ourselves and support ourselves.

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    I would have preferred pharrell just say those complaining ass ? can kiss his ass. Folks act like the black color range is only dark ass pigmentation. Stupid ? ...let that man cook.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pharell my dude..but that ? is non sensual and exactly what we fear
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that is the move to show you have really made it in the music industry and ascended beyond. Put the token BW in and you have your cover and cover story against the backlash.

kanye-west-yeezus-album-download.png?w=500&h=500
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see why there was even a controversy.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should've have responded to that ? with more than two sentences

These the same hoes that have no words for link Wayne and his anti dark skin women comments
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This sounds evasive to me. Skin color is essential to blackness, and what does all of that stuff about Obama and Oprah have to do with the charges of his critics?
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pharrell's been saying what I've been saying all along.

But the truth is (and I'm sure I'll be banned or flagged down for this even tho it's The real).

People who prefer darkskinned females are in the minority of the world. Its nothing racist or self hating or slanderous or brainwashed, its just what the majority prefers.

And u shouldn't have to wear some Badge Of Blackness (that's more than likely a front) as he says for conversation purposes. Especially around other Black People - other Groups is another story.

Like cmon people, Lupita is not tha baddest darkskinned woman in the world, she's a 2 with the body of a 10 year old boy but yet we're championing that like she's a dime becuz some ? have Insecurity Issues. And I definitely understand it but it looks silly - and in her case it is silly.

Props to Pharrell for speaking the real. Becuz not only are most Black People Brown anyway but the notion that we have to cosign every darkskinned woman who's in shape/thick that gets on JUST BECUZ she's darkskinned isnt really keepin it real.

I could end up wifing a darkskinned woman and end up with a darkskinned daughter but my own choice still doesn't change the fact. U have to be mature to really understand that.

So in Pharrell's case darkskinned women aren't doing anything but projecting their own negative stereotypes. Which is a cancer that they have to heal. Can't nobody do it except for them. We already got unconditional love for em but they don't have it for themselves for one reason or another
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually @MoneyLuver dropping some truth for real...
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    @Dr.Chemix I'm only keepin it 100. ? wanna diss you soooo bad if you ain't say them or theirs ain't the greatest, whether it's true or not.

Its just like I said becuz it's just what it is, Most black People are some shade of brown.

Honestly doe, when I speak on something (anything), I try to stray away from using my own personal opinion as much as possible. I never want to be one of those "know it all" type people

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just have more than just light skinned on there simple solution...
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really care, but I will say THIS:

Those folks saying that it aint no big deal would probably flip if Mary J. Blige released the "BOY" album..

And on the cover she's surrounded by White (or White-looking) men.

And don't lie and say it wouldn't bother you, because most of y'all would have something slick to say about that.

But, like I said, I don't really care about this dude's album cover...

..But, he knew what he was doing when he chose those broads to be on his album cover.

He probably wanted it to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

Oh-well.

• Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I.C. Male: "Why Mary aint got no Brothers on her album cover. Ol' sellout ? !"
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Low self esteem black ? always looking for acceptance and confirmation in other places OTHER THAN THEMSELVES. lol

Pharrell don't owe them ? ? , tell them ? to work on their self esteem.

It's like fat ? protesting Beyoncé to put fat male leads in her videos. lol People have preferences, not everyone has to like your type.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    @Dr.Chemix I'm only keepin it 100. ? wanna diss you soooo bad if you ain't say them or theirs ain't the greatest, whether it's true or not.

Its just like I said becuz it's just what it is, Most black People are some shade of brown.

Honestly doe, when I speak on something (anything), I try to stray away from using my own personal opinion as much as possible. I never want to be one of those "know it all" type people

You don't put your personal opinion but yet lupita is a 2 gtfoh
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly don't know @MoneyLuver beef with Lupita ..

? made a whole thread dedicated to her
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that is the move to show you have really made it in the music industry and ascended beyond. Put the token BW in and you have your cover and cover story against the backlash.

IS THIS COVER REAL?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that horse ? . race is a social construct based on skin color.
    and if the color of a ? skin is unattractive to u, you're a homosexual... which is cool...
  • MoneyLuver
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I just use her as The example. And since this is about Pharrell's album cover and the big "controversy" is skin tone it just goes hand in hand.

I promise to stop beating a dead horse tho. I italicked that part just attempting to let y'all know that.

En-Fuego22 wrote: »

Nyongo = 2 - Fact / a 3 tops. Nothing higher than that

Unsweetened Iced Tea = Greatest drink created - Opinion

I do believe in the phrase "what you eat don't make me ? " but ugly is ugly. There is no "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" clause in her case. ? looks like a diseased fruit bat
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IS THIS COVER REAL?

fan made
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just use her as The example. And since this is about Pharrell's album cover and the big "controversy" is skin tone it just goes hand in hand.

I promise to stop beating a dead horse tho. I italicked that part just attempting to let y'all know that.

En-Fuego22 wrote: »

Nyongo = 2 - Fact / a 3 tops. Nothing higher than that

Unsweetened Iced Tea = Greatest drink created - Opinion

I do believe in the phrase "what you eat don't make me ? " but ugly is ugly. There is no "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" clause in her case. ? looks like a diseased fruit bat

You can not log on again good day
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ saying color or complexion doesn't matter.

Rule #1 for American marketing... Avoid race. Place white or undescribable race in ad.