Forget the seven-year itch - infidelity starts three to five years into a marriage

Options
Darth Sidious
Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
Three to five years into a marriage is the most common time for the man or woman to have an affair, a new survey has claimed. According to research by AshleyMadison.com, the most commonly-used extra-marital dating website in the world, the ‘seven-year itch’ is a thing of the past. Not only does infidelity start much sooner than this, the site also concluded that a couple’s first pregnancy is likely to prompt an affair.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2591690/Forget-seven-year-itch-infidelity-starts-three-five-years-marriage-says-new-research-extra-marital-dating-website.html#ixzz2xJbdq8DY

Interestingly, the research showed that it is equally both men and women who are likely to cheat at this time.
AshleyMadison has 25 million members in 35 countries around the world.‘Sexual desires and attractiveness may decrease during and after the birth of a first child and trigger affairs,’ he says.

Often women no longer feel attractive, or are physically impaired by their pregnancy, whilst men can find sex in close proximity to their child problematic. ‘Therefore people find themselves searching for someone outside the marriage to help them meet needs that aren’t being met at home.'The average age of AshleyMadison members is 30-40, with an equal amount of men and women seeking affairs.AshleyMadison also recently surveyed 74, 6000 of its members from 26 countries - 33,500 from the U.S. - asking about how often they have sex with their spouses. U.S. women topped the list when it came to sexless marriages, with 22 per cent of American women questioned, admitting to having no sex with their husbands at all.

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yet another reason to abstain from marriage
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Worked out fine here, I do recall things be 'tense' around that time for me and the wife after the 1st was born so this makes a lot of sense. You also have the whole settling in thing to do.

All that is in the past, just know the first 5 could be rough but if you make it past that, calmer water is ahead.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems that Western society as a whole is getting bad at delaying gratification.
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I get older I start to question this marriage thing more...
  • Copper
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    It seems that Western society as a whole is getting bad at delaying gratification.

Gratification = procreation
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know a couple that practiced infidelity a couple months into the marriage. Was probably going on the entire time of the relationship but thats when everyone found out.
  • LUClEN
    Options

In this case I agree 1 hunnid. Married folks want that cheap easy thrill so they go and ? other people outside the marriage.

But look at the teen pregnancy rates, the increased drug use among teens and preteens, the growing obesity problem. People are just giving in to hedonism for short term gain at the expense of their long term success.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Because people don't cheat w/o being married
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm not surprised. People wait longer before getting married now so you get tired of your partner sooner into the marriage.
  • Copper
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Because people don't cheat w/o being married

They do w/o huge legal ramifications

And why marry a cheater
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not surprised. People wait longer before getting married now so you get tired of your partner sooner into the marriage.

But young people get the most divorces...

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems like that's when the wives stop putting out
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In this case I agree 1 hunnid. Married folks want that cheap easy thrill so they go and ? other people outside the marriage.

But look at the teen pregnancy rates, the increased drug use among teens and preteens, the growing obesity problem. People are just giving in to hedonism for short term gain at the expense of their long term success.

Teen pregnancy is down though.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea that third year was a ? mess for me and mine. We did end up separating.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

But young people get the most divorces...

I meant people shack up and/or stay bf/gf longer
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We've been good for 13 years.
  • Darth Sidious
    Options
    @SixSickSins‌ stays flagging my posts like with wounded bird she is.. I love the feelings Six!

tumblr_lnzb9eXMZl1qaarijo1_500.gif&size=400x1000

Follow Me on Twitter!
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The rest of your post is bunk but the bolded is truth. Not just hedonism though but an overarching sense of selfishness as well.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Most people have secrets.......and don't really want to know the truth about other people secrets.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Teen pregnancy is down though.

And teen abortion is way up. What a coincidence.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    jono wrote: »

The rest of your post is bunk but the bolded is truth. Not just hedonism though but an overarching sense of selfishness as well.

How is the rest weak when rested on that general premise? It's the very nature of the consumer society.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

How is the rest weak when rested on that general premise? It's the very nature of the consumer society.

Obesity can be caused by other factors not taken into account, same can be said for teen pregnancy and drug/alcohol usage.