Will Dancing Ever Be Considered "Cool" In Hip Hop?

Options
RXMasked
RXMasked Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭

Its funny cause dance is part of the culture. However, if you're not a female popping your meat-? then you gotta do this new age dance where you bouncing your shoulders and hands like a 3 year old. Also don't get me started on dance crazes, it on some quasi acceptance bs. Is MC Hammer and Souljah Boy to blame? Beat battles? Skinny Jean wearing ? ? The South?

Your thoughts?

justin-bieber-lolly-dance-gifs-jstindrw.gif

Comments

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

its always been "cool".

it just aint for everybody.
    Precisely. And the actual mechanics of the dance..mannerisms, etc., is usually the important part. Some stuff is cool and some stuff is funny style, just based on personal views/perceptions.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Y'all know what he meant though.

Dancing is one of the tenets of the culture and hardly any modern day rappers take it seriously. At most you might see Snoop or somebody c-walking.

At some point there was a paradigm shift where full out dancing started being considered lame.

I hate to do it but I blame Hammer for that and the advent of Gangster rap in the 90's.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dudes were dancing in the 80's and 90's then gangsta rap came out and had ? chillin against the was while a chick grind on them
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Daddy Kane and Heavy D
    danced in their videos and at their shows,
    they even had back up dancers..

And Kane is considered one of the GOATS..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    RXMasked wrote: »

Its funny cause dance is part of the culture. However, if you're not a female popping your meat-? then you gotta do this new age dance where you bouncing your shoulders and hands like a 3 year old. Also don't get me started on dance crazes, it on some quasi acceptance bs. Is MC Hammer and Souljah Boy to blame? Beat battles? Skinny Jean wearing ? ? The South?

Your thoughts?

What you mean "will it"? It used to be damn near a requirement til it became "corny" in the eyes of some. I made a thread about it a while back about if rappers today came out with full dance routines like Kane or doing the songs and routines someone like Heavy D used to they'd be clowned and called all types of ? , soft, with 14 Lord Jamar interviews done by now
  • Da Homey Six Deuce
    Da Homey Six Deuce Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dancing died when gangsta rap came into play.

Kool Moe Dee danced, so did BDK, Heav, KidnPlay, Black Sheep, Young Mc, Father Mc, Biz, LL, Mc Lyte.Not. to mention breakdance era , people like hammer, Fresh Prince etc. So dancing has always been cool.

Now people are so hooked on the street ? , they think dancing Will hurt their street cred
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? came and went twice. Hold old are you t/s?
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Your thoughts?

What you mean "will it"? It used to be damn near a requirement til it became "corny" in the eyes of some. I made a thread about it a while back about if rappers today came out with full dance routines like Kane or doing the songs and routines someone like Heavy D used to they'd be clowned and called all types of ? , soft, with 14 Lord Jamar interviews done by now

As long as the musical content ain't on no gimmicky ? ,
    I believe ? wouldn't mind the dancing ? ..

Heavy D and Kane had male and female fans..
    ? even Kid-N-Play had a nice lil run..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »

Your thoughts?

As long as the musical content ain't on no gimmicky ? ,
    I believe ? wouldn't mind the dancing ? ..

Heavy D and Kane had male and female fans..
    ? even Kid-N-Play had a nice lil run..

They did then and I still turn up my ? when I hear an old Heavy D song on Backspin on Sirius. Seeing some comments made about certain things today though I know some ? would be looking at Heavy D crazy for the beats and some of the lyrics in his singles lol
  • JaDaDon
    JaDaDon Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ringtones and white America what ? it up
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think dancing for the sake of it being the "in" thing to do is looked down upon

like the Nana and the other bs they got out here that's not my lane and i'm a young guy

but if the music is good no matter how thug you claim to be you gon dance
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JaDaDon wrote: »
    Ringtones and white America what ? it up

Kys

And threadstarter what are you 12
    tumblr_mh1q62DtFb1r85jaho1_400.gif

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People don't dance no mo, all they do is this
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breakdancing, ? .

It needs to make a comeback.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's always cool to ppl who dance

Gangster rap made it not cool in hip hop

I got no issue w/ dudes dancing as long as it's not fruity

I used to break dance.If I'm in the club I might feel the vibe...don't tell nobody though
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dancin maybe part of the culture but men who dance look ridiculous like why would a man ever be impressed by another dude dancin?
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you feel the music, u should atleast nod your head, a slight form of dancing
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whenever I'm in the midst of a DJ set by a reputable known producer/DJ whether in the company of a chick or solo, the vibe, energy and music make me dance with no ? given

Plus I be high most of the times weeded up ..

I made this thread sometime last year and a couple of mostly 90's babies thought it was "? "

LOL
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Van Damme was a ? clown
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the gif in the OP is ? awful...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.