NBA or NFL... Which league do you prefer?

Options

Comments

• bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    Yes 4 games were blowouts games 1,6 and 7 went down to the wire.Games 6 and 7 determined the championship so the blowouts were irrelevant at that point and those 2 games were better than the super bowl and everything else in the playoffs.

Wrong. And most NBA playoff series are boring and not competitive (meaning not at least 6 games).

The super bowl was 29-8 at halftime games 6 and 7 came down to the wire.If you prefer the nfl thats cool I'm not trying to convince you

I agree with you the super bowl was terrible. I just don't think playing games until something entertaining happens is the best formula. 4 straight boring uncompetitive games before games 6 (great game) and 7. And this super bowl was the only one that wasn't really close in a good few years. 3 of the last 7 finals were a sweep, or 4-1.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NBA
    I Like football a lot but I truly love basketball overall.

Basketball is just easier to explain to people and more entertaining to follow. I understand why most like the NFL though and it is because it's less games in the season which put more emphasis on each game.

I think it's funny that people try to say it's more parity in the NFL as opposed to the NBA because in both sports you always get the same teams that are competitive. What saves the NFL from having the same champions every year is injuries and 1 and done playoffs, which is why my favorite sporting spectacle is the NCAA basketball tournament. It's perfect because it's 1 and done and basketball is the only team sport where 1 player can drastically effect the outcome of a game.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NBA
    NHL is better than the NBA ......i just started watching hockey yesterday.....and im lovin it....Im just not interested in the NBA anymore

S7zoZ.gif

That crakkka ?

• txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When the nfl draft gets higher ratings then NBA playoff games, that's how u know one league is not even in the see league as the other.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NFL
    I love the NBA but I don't even pay attention to regular season anymore. Too long.

It's like trying to listen to a hamlet monologue or someshit.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    NFL

Basketball is just easier to explain to people and more entertaining to follow. I understand why most like the NFL though and it is because it's less games in the season which put more emphasis on each game.

I think it's funny that people try to say it's more parity in the NFL as opposed to the NBA because in both sports you always get the same teams that are competitive. What saves the NFL from having the same champions every year is injuries and 1 and done playoffs, which is why my favorite sporting spectacle is the NCAA basketball tournament. It's perfect because it's 1 and done and basketball is the only team sport where 1 player can drastically effect the outcome of a game.

I forget how long the streak was, but 5 of the 12 playoff teams weren't in the playoffs the previous year in the NFL for a lot of years. Look back a few years and people weren't checking for the Broncos, 9ers, Seahawks, Bengals, Panthers, Chiefs. The Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Texans, and Falcons have all fallen off recently. The NFC West went from a laughing stock to the Deepest division in the league. So I would say the NFL changes more than you give it credit for.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    NFL without question to me. I like the NBA too but I haven't been as invested in the game as a whole (outside of my home squad) since the 90s. But like someone said earlier it might be a regional thing. I'm from Louisiana so we're kinda predisposed to loving football. My homeboy from school is from Chicago and he lives and breaths Basketball.

I honestly think NBA would benefit from shortening the regular season tho. To me when they had that 60 game season after the lockout it just felt like the games meant more and was more exciting.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    NFL rivalries >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA rivalries
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From Texas so you already know.......I could watch football all day.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL without question to me. I like the NBA too but I haven't been as invested in the game as a whole (outside of my home squad) since the 90s. But like someone said earlier it might be a regional thing. I'm from Louisiana so we're kinda predisposed to loving football. My homeboy from school is from Chicago and he lives and breaths Basketball.

I honestly think NBA would benefit from shortening the regular season tho. To me when they had that 60 game season after the lockout it just felt like the games meant more and was more exciting.

I agree with shortening the season, but ain't no way the owners would give up 15 games worth of ticket sales and TV revenue.

• RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm an active football fan but only a casual nba fan,
    Sport aside, I think the nba is a better league because the week to actually care about the fans and the fun of the game while the nfl jus seems to care about their profit
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NBA

I forget how long the streak was, but 5 of the 12 playoff teams weren't in the playoffs the previous year in the NFL for a lot of years. Look back a few years and people weren't checking for the Broncos, 9ers, Seahawks, Bengals, Panthers, Chiefs. The Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Texans, and Falcons have all fallen off recently. The NFC West went from a laughing stock to the Deepest division in the league. So I would say the NFL changes more than you give it credit for.

The teams with well run front offices in any sport always remain in the hunt year in and year out. The Pats, Steelers, Giants, Ravens have dipped a little bit but it isn't all that serious because it will not be for long. LOL. They have continuity at the ownership,front office and coaching staff which is why they might go through a dry spell but they will bounce back quick.

To hammer home my point, since 2002 (when the division were split into 4 for each conference) Green Bay has won the NFC North 7 times, Philly has won the NFC East 6 times, Seattle has won the NFC West 6 times, Pittsburg has won the AFC North 6 times, Indy has won the AFC South 8 times and New England has dominated the AFC East 10 times out of 12 seasons. The NFC South and AFC West have been the most competitive divisions out of these last 12 seasons.

I'm not going to count playoff appearances which would prove even more that the same teams win in the NFL just like any other sport because a lot of the teams who dominated their divisions during this 12 year stretch still made the playoffs as wildcards win they didn't win the division.
  • bow to royalty
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NFL

The teams with well run front offices in any sport always remain in the hunt year in and year out. The Pats, Steelers, Giants, Ravens have dipped a little bit but it isn't all that serious because it will not be for long. LOL. They have continuity at the ownership,front office and coaching staff which is why they might go through a dry spell but they will bounce back quick.

To hammer home my point, since 2002 (when the division were split into 4 for each conference) Green Bay has won the NFC North 7 times, Philly has won the NFC East 6 times, Seattle has won the NFC West 6 times, Pittsburg has won the AFC North 6 times, Indy has won the AFC South 8 times and New England has dominated the AFC East 10 times out of 12 seasons. The NFC South and AFC West have been the most competitive divisions out of these last 12 seasons.

I'm not going to count playoff appearances which would prove even more that the same teams win in the NFL just like any other sport because a lot of the teams who dominated their divisions during this 12 year stretch still made the playoffs as wildcards win they didn't win the division.

In that time Green Bay has 1 ring, Philly has 0, Seattle has 1, Pittsburgh has 2, Indy has 1, and NE has 2. In that same time in the NBA Spurs have 3, Lakers have 2, Heat have 3. The 3 teams I named have 2 more rings than the 6 you named.

To hammer home my point the NBA has had 8 teams win the championship the past 30 years. The NFL has had 8 teams win in the past 10 years.
    But you're up here talking about division champs...
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    Bruh you do realize that until the Thunder went in 2012 the only teams from the Western Conference to go to the finals SINCE THE 90s were the Lakers, Spurs, and Mavericks. From 1999-2011 three teams won 10 championships in a 12 year span, but the NBA has more parity?
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    NFL
    To add to that ^^ 7 NBA teams have never even been to the finals (23% of the league) compared to the NFL's 4 (12.5%). How do you figure the NFL and NBA are on the same level as far as a few top teams dominating?
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NBA

In that time Green Bay has 1 ring, Philly has 0, Seattle has 1, Pittsburgh has 2, Indy has 1, and NE has 2. In that same time in the NBA Spurs have 3, Lakers have 2, Heat have 3. The 3 teams I named have 2 more rings than the 6 you named.

To hammer home my point the NBA has had 8 teams win the championship the past 30 years. The NFL has had 8 teams win in the past 10 years.

thats bc nfl has the one and done playoffs. so the best team doesnt always advance. More often than not the 2 best teams are in the nba finals. Thats the biggest flaw in the nfl sure every year its different teams but its not always the best teams. Im a giants fan but the 2 times the giants won the last few years the giants werent the best team just the hottest team
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    NFL
    eyes low wrote: »

thats bc nfl has the one and done playoffs. so the best team doesnt always advance. More often than not the 2 best teams are in the nba finals. The the biggest flaw in the nfl sure every year its different teams but its not always the best teams. Im a giants fan but the 2 times the giants won the last few years the giants werent the best team just the hottest team

So why have a playoff? If you think it's a flaw when a team you don't think is the best wins the championship, then there should be no playoff (so no risk of a "mistake" happening). You should just crown the team with the best regular season record the champs, like in soccer. In your view every round of the playoffs is just a chance to ? things up.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NBA

You missed my point completely. SMH.

I'm pointing out that parity isn't as huge as NFL fans make it out to be. The NBA has the same teams winning championships because there are series involved which means usually the better teams will win. Not to mention half the league goes to the playoffs in the NBA as the NFL doesn't have as many teams in their playoff.

The point of my argument is aside from the flukey nature of who wins the championship in the NFL, the same teams win each season about the same as they do in any other sport. New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburg and Indy for the last 12 years have damn near always been in the playoffs and hunt for the championship just like the Spurs, Lakers and Heat in the NBA or the Red Wings, Kings, Bruins in NHL or the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants in the MLB.

I intentionally named the NHL & MLB along with the NBA because they all have series in the playoffs and that is why the same teams win championships in those sports. If the NFL had series it would be the exact same way because the same teams always make the playoffs in every sport.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NBA
    eyes low wrote: »

thats bc nfl has the one and done playoffs. so the best team doesnt always advance. More often than not the 2 best teams are in the nba finals. The the biggest flaw in the nfl sure every year its different teams but its not always the best teams. Im a giants fan but the 2 times the giants won the last few years the giants werent the best team just the hottest team

So why have a playoff? If you think it's a flaw when a team you don't think is the best wins the championship, then there should be no playoff (so no risk of a "mistake" happening). You should just crown the team with the best regular season record the champs, like in soccer. In your view every round of the playoffs is just a chance to ? things up.

Makes more sense than what the nfl does now i have no problem with the way soccer does things. I'm just not a fan of one and done.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    NHL is better than the NBA ......i just started watching hockey yesterday.....and im lovin it....Im just not interested in the NBA anymore

S7zoZ.gif

That crakkka ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqYk32yCe0

Not to mention my flyers got a goal from a black player simmonds and a clutch game from a black goalie emery yetserday. Of the few ? that play hockey many of them are making it to the league. Hockey is a real ? sport that if ? actually start playing more/funding came they would dominate.

The NBA playoffs consists off less contact than they used to have and these soft ? play one or 2 games a week. Series be goin on for a month and ? . The nhl playoffs is about speed hard hits and fights and sudden death ot games nearly every other day.

The NBA playoffs is played like the lifestyle of a rich orange county family. The NHL playoffs is played rough and tough like any inner city black hood in the country.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    RawAce wrote: »
    I'm an active football fan but only a casual nba fan,
    Sport aside, I think the nba is a better league because the week to actually care about the fans and the fun of the game while the nfl jus seems to care about their profit

this is a lie if they cared about the league they wouldn't have 82 games per season. The nba wold be goat if the season was 60 games. If they cared about the true fans it wouldn't be a mostly rich white fanbase that can afford to go to these games and intimidate the NBA to change the "dress code" to please white fans. If you take the face value of an NFL ticket for one of 8 home games and compare it to the face value of an NBA ticket for one of 41 home games the NFL ticket is more reasonably price for how much less product they have. All sports care about the profit the NBA ain't no saint.

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

S7zoZ.gif

That crakkka ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqYk32yCe0

Not to mention my flyers got a goal from a black player simmonds and a clutch game from a black goalie emery yetserday. Of the few ? that play hockey many of them are making it to the league. Hockey is a real ? sport that if ? actually start playing more/funding came they would dominate.

GO FLYERS !!!!
  • bow to royalty
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NFL

You missed my point completely. SMH.

I'm pointing out that parity isn't as huge as NFL fans make it out to be. The NBA has the same teams winning championships because there are series involved which means usually the better teams will win. Not to mention half the league goes to the playoffs in the NBA as the NFL doesn't have as many teams in their playoff.

The point of my argument is aside from the flukey nature of who wins the championship in the NFL, the same teams win each season about the same as they do in any other sport. New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburg and Indy for the last 12 years have damn near always been in the playoffs and hunt for the championship just like the Spurs, Lakers and Heat in the NBA or the Red Wings, Kings, Bruins in NHL or the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants in the MLB.

I intentionally named the NHL & MLB along with the NBA because they all have series in the playoffs and that is why the same teams win championships in those sports. If the NFL had series it would be the exact same way because the same teams always make the playoffs in every sport.

It is as big as people say it is. New England, Seattle (they fell off for a minute, but these last 2 seasons made people forget), Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Indy like you said. But what about Denver? Baltimore? New Orleans? Chicago? Atlanta? Giants? San Fran? Texans? Jets? All teams that looked like they had a LEGIT chance at being a SB contender within the past few seasons. That's 14 teams! Name me the 14 NBA teams that fall in the same category? Even if an NFL team only gets hot for a couple years (Like the Jets, and Texans), it's still numerous teams that are SB contenders. The NBA doesn't have teams stepping it up like that to be contenders, even if it's for a brief time.

I'm not saying the NFL is full of decade long power houses. I'm saying it has a decent number of teams each year that are SB contenders. And those contenders are more than just the year-after-year power houses.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL
    Love both. NFL slightly more though.