TedTalk: GZA speaks on Science, Music, and Science Genius (his program combining rap and science)

Options
sully
sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETcDafA7WY

Don't remember seeing this posted anywhere, so i thought i'd post it.

Sidenote: Dude looked mad nervous, but he did a good job.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He did an interview with Neil DrGrasse Tyson on Star Talk too. Gza is a very intelligent dude.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rapper invited speaks at an internationally recognized meeting of some of the most creative thinkers and world innovators from all fields of expertise....

No one cares.

? you ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KRS used to call himself the teacher

But what is he teaching?

When I was in high school, KRS was talking about how the school systems don't teach African history or anything that's relevant.

Now its 20 years later and I'm just realizing that KRS is a high school drop-out that didn't go to college. When I was 15 I was riding with KRS but now that I'm grown I'm like turn that ? off, get good grades and go to college!!!

Every once in a while a rapper says something that's pseudo-intellectual but you'll learn more going to college than listening to a rapper. You'd be surprised how many people disagree with me. There's cats out there that listen to Jay Z for educational purposes. They think that since he made it, he must be dropping jewels.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

But what is he teaching?

When I was in high school, KRS was talking about how the school systems don't teach African history or anything that's relevant.

Now its 20 years later and I'm just realizing that KRS is a high school drop-out that didn't go to college. When I was 15 I was riding with KRS but now that I'm grown I'm like turn that ? off, get good grades and go to college!!!

Every once in a while a rapper says something that's pseudo-intellectual but you'll learn more going to college than listening to a rapper. You'd be surprised how many people disagree with me. There's cats out there that listen to Jay Z for educational purposes. They think that since he made it, he must be dropping jewels.

So KRS One inspiring youth (like me at the time) to learn about their own history is a bad thing because he didn't graduate high school even though it's obvious that he never stopped studying? KRS never told anyone to drop out of high school or college as far as I can remember. Maybe part of the reason you respect education is because "when you were 15 you were riding with KRS".

Also your "get good grades and go to college" sentiment just doesn't apply to some people - KRS grew up poor in the Bronx in the 70's.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

But what is he teaching?

So KRS One inspiring youth (like me at the time) to learn about their own history is a bad thing because he didn't graduate high school even though it's obvious that he never stopped studying? KRS never told anyone to drop out of high school or college as far as I can remember. Maybe part of the reason you respect education is because "when you were 15 you were riding with KRS".

Also your "get good grades and go to college" sentiment just doesn't apply to some people - KRS grew up poor in the Bronx in the 70's.

I agree that KRS inspired youth to learn about history, but the best place to learn about history is in school. I feel like KRS didn't encourage people to go to college. I didn't go to college directly from High School and part of the reason was because my mind was twisted from listening to X Clan, BDP, Public Enemy and whoever else was 'kicking knowledge'. Maybe other people didn't get discouraged from going to college but I did.
  • SneakDZA
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I agree that the best place to learn about European history is in school. When BDP, X-Clan and PE were on top what school had a comprehensive AA studies program? Maybe the fact that we even have them now is a testament to their message.

Also what about any of those groups would make someone choose not to go to college when they otherwise would?
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The
    Rapper invited speaks at an internationally recognized meeting of some of the most creative thinkers and world innovators from all fields of expertise....

No one cares.

? you ?

The wack & nosign i got says the point of my post was missed. What i was getting at is that this should be big news and SHOULD be getting more press than it is. Rappers wanna smack each other with bottles of dulce, thatll be all over the blogosphere for weeks. Gza speaking at a conference for intellectuals, no one bats an eye.

The games all ? up
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    I agree that the best place to learn about European history is in school. When BDP, X-Clan and PE were on top what school had a comprehensive AA studies program? Maybe the fact that we even have them now is a testament to their message.

Also what about any of those groups would make someone choose not to go to college when they otherwise would?

Watch the "You Must Learn" video by BDP. I got the feeling that what they were teaching in school was nonsense, so I didn't go to class. I think I was in 11th grade when that came out.
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    hey no offense but if you drop out of high school because of a video... it probably wasn't meant to be.