Night shift struggle: how do you...

Options
THOT PILGRIM
THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
Overcome that 1 bout of tiredness that hits you right before you get off?

I work 7p to 7a and it doesn't matter how much rest I get, my eyelids get heavy af right at 430am. It takes me a good 20 mins to shake it off & then I'm ok until I clock out at 730ish.

I tried a 5 hour energy shot & I was wired until noon, lol. I try to run errands for my coworkers to wake myself up but it doesn't work. Lately I've resorted to napping for 10 min in my car but I look tired af when I finally come back to the floor.

Comments

• King Ghidorah
    King Ghidorah Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work from 9 - 7, and I just hulk through, I don't sleep before going to work, it just makes me tired all night, ? those energy drinks you gonna fry your brain. How old are you? This sound like some old ? ?
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn...you got them dope dealer hours

but to be real there's not much that can help that...it takes a long time for the body to adjust

instead of energy drinks you should try some snacks w/ natural energy (carbs) like fruit and/or nuts
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing but fruits and veggies.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Five hour energy or planters energy can of mixed nuts
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work a regular office gig 8:30 to 5:00 Monday through Friday. But Friday at Midnight and Saturday I work Midnight to 7 am at a 24hr gym. ? I just got off too. But since I'm the only employee there sometimes I say ? it and nap for an hour. It seems to always happen around 3. I used to slam 2, 3 monsters to get through now I'm like ? it.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I use to work graveyard. 10pm - 7am. You gotta adjust your biological clock. Dont ? with those energy drinks because of the crash. Get your body use to your hours and its all good from there.

When I got home, I'd be tired but I'd still be awake. I wouldnt go straight to sleep after that. I'd eat, watch ESPN in the morning and crash around 10am. Wake up like at 6-7pm, eat, chill then go to work. I know its hard but when your day off comes and you get invited to hit the club, you be the only person askin whats crackin after that. 5am after Dennys and ? .
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im working the 1130-730 now.. i dont have a problem at all of staying awake during my shift... i have the hardest time sleeping through the day... ? is terrible
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hide in the stairwells. And, if it won't be missed, pull a gurney or wheelchair underneath the cubby space under the steps and rest. Not that I've ever done such a thing...despicable.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to work the night shift from 6pm - 6am a few years ago and while the night shift workers in this thread can empathize, I dont think they may understand that 12 hour shifts is a whole nother animal.
    Dont do the 5 hour energies. That's just not good to do regularly. The night shift wasnt too bad on me because I dont have children, but you do. So, you may just have to accept that you're gonna be sleepy for the remainder of your time on that shift.

For me, I had a regimen. Wake up in the AM, maybe at 8:00 and do what I needed to do as far as clean my house and preparing my dinner for later. A crock ? helps. By 2:00 pm, i was in bed napping for 3 hours until 5:00 (I live relatively close to my job).

I dont know if u can do it, but a 3 hr nap before your shift begins can do wonders. Or otherwise, you may have to use your lunch break to nap in the car.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    5 hour energy dont actually have much caffeine in them at all and are practically useless

Don't be fooled
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't do anything. You will always hit the wall around 4am. I've been working 11pm-7am for close to a year and always get tired around then

As soon as 7 hits tho. I'm wired. I feel luke I could run a marathon.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't never go to sleep when you first get off in the morning, got to bed around the late afternoon time. I used to work 11-7am and that worked for me
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have a mission...something to do to keep the adreline up or ignite it.

thief 101 post

add oil ?
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly AS A ? Who Works 19 Hours A Day, Your Body Adjusts To It After So long. Ween yourself off sugars and 5hour energies and let you body take over.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *nightowl fo' life post*
  • YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wtf y'all doing working graveyard shift and odd hrs. Get a normal job with normal hr, how long u gon pull that off
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YC11 wrote: »
    wtf y'all doing working graveyard shift and odd hrs. Get a normal job with normal hr, how long u gon pull that off

Not trying to live a normal life when I'm 35. I'm trying to be set, and jet set.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I do not have any relevant experience to further along this thread.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to work 5pm-5am... Once I was used to the hours, I never got tired at work. It took about a month.
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • THOT PILGRIM
    THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm a nurse duck ass ?

12 hr nights is normal
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm a nurse duck ass ?

m83uGTwAWdZ4m_2AUTw2RUg.jpg
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nurse Duck would be a much better sn than Thot Pilgrim btw
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All I work is night shifts for the most part. It's just best to let your body adjust naturally. Also Not going to bed after work and staying up doing ? like it's a day time schedule helps. But not everybody's lifestyle can handle that. Another thing that can ? you up is boredom on the job.

Keep active, keep moving. Doing push ups or holding your breathe for as long as you can will boost your heart rate and fights the sleep off at the moment. Making conversation with co-workers, if you can stand them, helps as well. Try to avoid sitting down for long periods and keep your area cold if possible. Way easier to dose off in warm, hot enviroments.

And Mountain Dew. I don't know what the ? is in that ? , but it fights off the sleep. My gamer buddies put me on that years ago.