HOH: LEVEL 1,000,000

Options
BIGG WILL
BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
At least 129 women in El Salvador have been incarcerated between 2000 and 2011 after having miscarriages.

Criminalized by a justice system that does not allow any type of abortion, these women who have been unable to carry their pregnancies to term end up leaving their hospital beds and heading straight to jail — accused of aggravated homicide.

Salvadorian legislators have been unrelenting in their cases against each of these women, who are homemakers, maids, high school and college students, laborers, peasants, waitresses — and the list goes on.

Since the 1998 Penal Code reform in El Salvador, all forms of abortion have been punishable by two to eight years in prison.

The DA changed the type of crime [from a misdemeanor to a felony] and ended up prosecuting them for aggravated homicide against their own child, which raises the penalty up to 30, 40, or even 50 years behind bars,” Herrera added.

El Salvador is one of five Latin American countries, along with Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Republic, and Chile, that does not allow any form of abortion, in any circumstance — and scores of women have been imprisoned for suffering miscarriages.

Earlier this month, feminist and pro-choice groups launched a campaign to officially pardon 17 women who have been convicted of aggravated homicide after being admitted to public hospitals with failed pregnancies.

On April 1, the campaigners protested in the streets of San Salvador and organized a procession starting at Ilapongo’s Rehabilitation Center For Women, where the accused women are being held.

Comments

• Kyle_Lurker
    Kyle_Lurker Members Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not really hoh but crazy nonetheless
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow, this is something id expect in the middle east, this rationale is beyond ? .
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ blaming women for miscarriages and sending em' to jail...

IMO that is HOH to the fullest...
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aquafetal should serve life.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hoodrats should be jailed for having over 2 kids with no job
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »
    Wow, this is something id expect in the middle east, this rationale is beyond ? .

@Meroe explain whats in your sig, it looks interesting.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Folks talk down on the United States but I guarantee if they expressed some of the opinions they do here other governments would have them damn near lynched.

Folks take little ? like randomly being able to express an opinion lightly here.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Folks talk down on the United States but I guarantee if they expressed some of the opinions they do here other governments would have them damn near lynched.

Folks take little ? like randomly being able to express an opinion lightly here.

Nobody takes it lightly, B. Everyone knows other countries don't have that right. But I'm not gonna treat something that should be a simple right as the greatest of gifts just because others don't have it.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

Nobody takes it lightly, B. Everyone knows other countries don't have that right. But I'm not gonna treat something that should be a simple right as the greatest of gifts just because others don't have it.

Many things should be simple rights, so that argument is a little subjective.

For example, why is it illegal here for a woman to sell something that she can legally give away for free.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

Many things should be simple rights, so that argument is a little subjective.

For example, why is it illegal here for a woman to sell something that she can legally give away for free.

Your comment doesn't really relate to my point at all.

But I agree with you, selling it should be free. *shrugs*
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well . . . . . . Damn .
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That is beyond ? up wow the lack of logic in some of these countries is ridiculous man.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »

@Meroe explain whats in your sig, it looks interesting.

Not the place to do it. if you'd like, youre more than welcome to pm me, ill put you on. @private_lamont
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Meroe I just hit your inbox now yo.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    peep this though scientific studies show that 100% of miscarriages happen inside of women....

so how is it not thier fault?