Woman who killed teen on bike sues teen’s family for $1.3 million for ‘emotional distress’

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
majewski_facebook.jpg
A Canadian woman who struck three teens with her SUV, killing one and injuring the others while they were riding bikes on a dark road, has filed a $1.3 million suit against the deceased teen, his family, and the two other boys claiming ‘emotional distress’ according to Toronto CVT News.

Brandon Majewski died after being struck from behind by an SUV driven by Sharlene Simon while cycling with two friends at 1:30AM on Oct. 28, 2012. He was 17 at the time.

Simon, a mother of three, has filed suit against the dead teen and his family, and the two other boys, Richard McLean and Jake Roberts, both 16, asking for $1.3 million for ‘emotional distress,’ citing psychological suffering, depression, anxiety, irritability and post-traumatic stress.

In her suit Simon blames the boys for the accident claiming, “They did not apply their brakes properly… They were incompetent bicyclists.”

The lawyer for Majewski’s family expressed shock at the lawsuit.

“In all of my years as a lawyer, I have never seen anyone ever sue a child that they killed,” said Brian Cameron. “It’s beyond the pale. I just couldn’t bring myself to tell them on the phone.”

Cameron met with Majewski’s parents and step-parents in his office to inform them of the suit.

“I’m devastated, I’m in shock,” said Brandon’s mother, Venetta Mlynczyk. “She killed my child and now she wants to profit from it? She says she’s in pain? Tell her to look inside my head and she will see pain, she will see panic, she will see nightmares.”

Simon’s lawyer, Michael Ellis, asserts that she is traumatized and has been unable to return to work since the accident.

“She relives the terror of this incident every day. Ms. Simon has been unable to return to work since the collision. She has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. She is also a victim,” Ellis said in a statement.

Simon is also suing the County of Simcoe, where the incident occurred, for failing to maintain the road where Majewski was struck.

According to police, Simon was driving down the darkened country road at 90km in a 80km zone when the accident occurred.

Simon’s husband, a York Regional police officer, was following her in another car. No breathalyzer test was given at the scene of the accident and her husband was allowed to drive her home.

The family of Majewski has asserted that Simon may have been drinking and that she was on her cellphone at the time of the accident.

The Majewski family has already filed suit against Simon seeking $900,000 in damages for the “emotional trauma and shock” of their son’s death.

In that suit, Simon, Simon’s husband Jules — who is the owner of the car– and the County of Simcoe are named as defendants.

Comments

• tearjerker
    tearjerker Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Options
    GTFOH.....I can't believe I read it all
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White ppl......
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that ? got some nerve
  • ElQueefo
    ElQueefo Members Posts: 71
    Options
    ? should have been given the breathalyzer
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “She relives the terror of this incident every day. Ms. Simon has been unable to return to work since the collision. She has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. She is also a victim,” Ellis said in a statement.

Simon’s husband, a York Regional police officer, was following her in another car. No breathalyzer test was given at the scene of the accident and her husband was allowed to drive her home.

Anything goes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Chitlin_Carajo
    Chitlin_Carajo Members Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She blames the cyclist, his friends, the city. Everyone but her own ignorant ass.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why she not in jail?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [paul mooney voice]White folk got more nerve than a tooth ache [/paul mooney voice]
  • ConflictSucks
    ConflictSucks Members Posts: 43
    Options
    No way in hell a judge gives her the W
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing to see here...just white people being themselves.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White ppl are sick.
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    She's going to have her own VIP section in hell
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She makes a strong argument.

“She relives the terror of this incident every day. Ms. Simon has been unable to return to work since the collision"

I hit a raccoon last year and that ? still gives me the ? . #Boom! #Crunch!

The ? thing ran right in front of my car like it had a death wish, it was as big as a dog.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She won't need a jacket for wear she's going when she dies, its pretty warm there.
  • Will Munny
    Options

“She relives the terror of this incident every day. Ms. Simon has been unable to return to work since the collision"

The ? thing ran right in front of my car like it had a death wish, it was as big as a dog.

Don't be a ? . When I shot a pregnant raccoon (didn't know it at the time) in a trap once. I couldn't figure out why the stomach was moving. Then I realized they were the unborn raccoons moving around trying to get out, probably less than a day from birth. Worst part was, before I shot this raccoon it wasn't mean or nasty in the trap or snarling at me, it just kinda looked at me like "please don't ? me, I have a reason to live." but I put the barrel my .22 up to its dome piece and pulled the trigger all the same.

? changed my life.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

Don't be a ? . When I shot a pregnant raccoon (didn't know it at the time) in a trap once. I couldn't figure out why the stomach was moving. Then I realized they were the unborn raccoons moving around trying to get out, probably less than a day from birth. Worst part was, before I shot this raccoon it wasn't mean or nasty in the trap or snarling at me, it just kinda looked at me like "please don't ? me, I have a reason to live." but I put the barrel my .22 up to its dome piece and pulled the trigger all the same.

? changed my life.

Smh yea u definitey white
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? has a lot of nerve.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? changed my life.

Whatd ya do with the babies?
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL..
    She know they bout to sue her,
    so she tried to sue them 1st..

h52DD1E61
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

? changed my life.

Whatd ya do with the babies?

What you mean? I threw the pregnant body of the ? in a nearby swamp.