15 year old fatally stabs teacher in class of 30 pupils (UK)

Options
DNB1
DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
Police are continuing to question a 15-year-old boy after a popular teacher was stabbed to death during a lesson at a school in Leeds.

Pupils and staff have been paying tribute to Spanish teacher Anne Maguire, 61, who was fatally injured at Corpus Christi Catholic College.

Hundreds crammed into the pews of the Corpus Christi Church next to the school to remember Mrs Maguire, who had taught there for more than 40 years

Teenagers hugged each other and some lit candles as they wiped away tears.

Outside, scores more gathered around hundreds of floral tributes placed at the school gates.

Photographs, teddies and other items of memorabilia have been pinned to the railings.

The school will open today to allow staff and students to come together and support each other.

Monsignor John Wilson of Leeds Diocese told Sky News: "I know that there are plans during the day today in school for staff to get together and also for pupils to get together for acts of remembrance, and for them to get together and just support each other at this terrible time."

Officers were called to the school just before noon on Monday after a report a member of staff had been stabbed. A knife was recovered from the scene.

Around 30 pupils witnessed Mrs Maguire, who is believed have two grown-up daughters, being stabbed repeatedly in class.

Some reported hearing screams as other members of staff rushed to her classroom and restrained her attacker.

Her death is the first time a teacher has been stabbed to death in a British classroom.

Head teacher Philip Lawrence was murdered outside a school in Maida Vale, London, in 1995 when he went to help a pupil who was being attacked.

A recent Sky News investigation revealed almost 1,000 pupils were caught with weapons including guns, axes and a meat cleaver in schools in the last three years.

One of the notes left with the flowers at the school in Leeds said: "You inspired countless generations.

"You taught four generations of our family and you were simply a totally fantastic teacher, always caring and always there to make us smile (even if you were speaking Spanish)."

Former pupil Kerrianne Ayward, 17, said: "She was just lovely. She was helpful and caring and you could have a laugh with her.

"She was always there for you, even if she didn't know you very well. No one had a bad word for her - I mean no one."

Pupil Georgina Kilroy, 16, said: "I don't know anyone who didn't like her. She was spot on. You couldn't ask for a better teacher."

As she was laying flowers, former pupil Aine Arnold said: "It's more like losing a family member than losing a teacher.

"She was just lovely. She was wonderful. I am devastated."

9863423-1-1-522x293.jpg

http://news.sky.com/story/1251256/teacher-stabbing-pupil-remains-in-custody

Comments