Fox's GOTHAM

Options
TRILLip Brooks
TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Lights, Camera, Action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

Big Batman fan, so I'll check it out

Comments

• r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sure, most of the attention has been on Ben Affleck being cast as Batman in Zack Snyder's sequel to Man of Steel, but what about the rest of the Batman universe? Deadline reports that Fox has closed a deal for a television series centered around none other than the Dark Knight's ally Commissioner Gordon. Called Gotham, the show focuses on Gordon's early years as a detective on the Gotham City police force, and while it will include some of Gotham's most famous villains it will reportedly not feature Batman himself.

Bruno Heller, the creator of The Mentalist, will be producing the show in conjunction with Warner Bros. Television, and Fox's deal includes a series commitment — signaling just how bullish the network is on the project. The Gotham announcement comes on the same night that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. makes its debut on ABC, and with a Flash show also in the works at the CW, one thing's for sure: Warner Bros. and DC aren't ceding television to Marvel without a fight.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/24/4768170/commissioner-gordon-is-getting-his-own-television-series-with-gotham
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    jack-nicholson.gif
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    it has potential to be good. but Fox is gonna make it boring
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fox? One season, 12 episodes.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too bad its on fox.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fans been asking for a Gotham Central TV series for years now and they proceed with this ? instead? I won't be watching off principle.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? really upset about this? What's the problem exactly? Sounds dope to me.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Only issue I have is that it's on Fox. On any other network (FX especially) it would be dope.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its going to be on network television so they will be limited on what they could do. I wish it was on FX, HBO or another cable channel. Plus take into consideration (with shows covering a current character in his earlier years), you know that the character isn't going to get murked. So all of the scenes with the scary music to go along with somebody trying to ? him, then cutting to a commercial could possibly make the show anti-climatic.....atleast to me
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Only issue I have is that it's on Fox. On any other network (FX especially) it would be dope.
    313 wayz wrote: »
    Its going to be on network television so they will be limited on what they could do. I wish it was on FX, HBO or another cable channel. Plus take into consideration (with shows covering a current character in his earlier years), you know that the character isn't going to get murked. So all of the scenes with the scary music to go along with somebody trying to ? him, then cutting to a commercial could possibly make the show anti-climatic.....atleast to me

I mean, that's not really FOX's fault. The show is produced by Warner Bros, and...its Batman. They decide the content. The Nolan movies themselves were all PG-13, so i'm not sure why anyone would expect an HBO-like, "mature" rated Batman TV series? Its not like they adapting the Saw movies and putting them on network TV or something?

And is it really that surprising that any lead character in any television show is not at any real risk of dying every week?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    313 wayz wrote: »

I mean, that's not really FOX's fault. The show is produced by Warner Bros, and...its Batman. They decide the content. The Nolan movies themselves were all PG-13, so i'm not sure why anyone would expect an HBO-like, "mature" rated Batman TV series? Its not like they adapting the Saw movies and putting them on network TV or something?

And is it really that surprising that any lead character in any television show is not at any real risk of dying every week?
    Cosign.

That's like watching Batman Begins and not being interested because you know Batman isn't going to die.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Gotham Central would be a much more interesting premise is why I'm not interested but I know 99% of you guys don't read comic books so it's like I'm speaking Japanese here. A series with a Detective Gordon doesn't appeal to me at all unless they set it during his Chicago pre-Y1 days & tell some of those stories which they won't since even the comics don't acknowledge that anymore and have him as someone from Gotham his whole life.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    They should do a Nightwing show instead. He is underused by DC IMO.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DC stays playin catchup to Marvel
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DC>>> Marvel.

Gordon>>>>Agents of Shield
  • Broddie
    Options
    DC stays playin catchup to Marvel

It's the other way around. DC been doing ongoing live action TV shows on modern TV for over a decade now and still going strong. Marvel just started getting into that field.

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DC has held down the TV shows and animated movies (The Flashpoint Paradox was GOAT btw) whereas Marvel has done their shared universe justice. Its only so many Batman and Superman you can do without introducing other characters.
    As far as the show, I'm gonna check for it. I'm sure they'll have that mob element mixed in with the crazy criminals. I expect some environment like and hopefully the asylum, prison and the dock area.
    I assume you'll see more corrupt cops than good ones. I wonder if the Wayne businesses will show up.
    It has the potential but Fox always ? ? up.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A younger Gordon potentially means the appearence of Bruce Wayne's parents, which could be interesting if they're giving compelling personalities.

What's glaring is that they say the series is going to showcase "the villians that made Gotham famous". Those villians include Penguin, Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow, etc. There's a multitude of DC universes so it's possible to tell a story where Bruce never becomes Batman (they didn't say Bruce wouldn't be there), but it's interesting considering most stories suggest that the villians only become more dangerous when the heros becomes more capable.

I expect alot of realism and grit akin to the Dark Knight Trilogy. It's the only way Gordon would be able to stand against the best villians.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Will be cool if they do it up until Bruce's parents are killed and Gordon puts the jacket around him.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Or something like that.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is dc always second on ? ... Marvel did the shield spin off