What are some of the worst tv & movie cliche's?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was trying to watch Kick Ass for the first time On HBO and turned it right off during a ridiculous scene where a little white girl kicks a room full of Black men's ? and kills at least one of them. It got me thinking about some of the most overused and terrible cliche's movies use over and over

- The Black person dies first (most horror movies)
- The Black person is perceived as dangerous, untrustworthy, ghetto, or "cool" just by virtue of them being Black (damn near any movie)
- The white person, against all odds, becomes a leader or saviour of a foreign community (see Avatar, Pocahontas)
- the son inherits the sins of his father or must avenge his father's death
- the girlfriend catches her boyfriend in a compromising position and without waiting for an explanation, assumes he's cheating or worse (Hitch, Daddy's Little Girls, most Tyler Perry and romantic movies)

Those are some of the worst off the top of my head.

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the corny guy and cute chick cant stand each other, end up being put in a position where they have to be around each other, fall in love and happily ever after yadda yadda

oh and somewhere in the middle of that ? they bump heads when they try to kiss.....or fall on the floor.....and just ? stay there smh
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    -Overuse of jump scares in horror movies ? me off
    -Villains giving a ton exposition when they could have easily killed the hero 3 times. The only instance I can recall where this made sense was when Zola did it in Cap 2
    -Calmly walking away from an explosion. Doing so in slow motion makes it even worse
    -The Stormtrooper effect. You have trained soldiers, assassins or whatever that can't hit the broadside of a barn at close range. ? makes no sense.
    -The "cute kid". Specific examples to me were the Tom Cruise World of the Worlds and Superman Returns. Those movies was garbage anyway, but Dakota Fanning and Clark's bastard son made then utterly unwatchable for me
  • soul rattler
    Options
    The "amnesia" plot where the main character forgets who they are, but through multiple clues or some convenient plot device, they are able to remember at the last second before someone close to them is lost forever.

I remember Family Guy did an episode like this and even then at the beginning, one of the characters was like "Really? We're doing this?"
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magical Blacks/? /Kids.

The computer guy/gamer being in a complete loser.

The girl who looks how she looks but can't find a date. i.e. Sandra Bullock in The Net. Kelly Rowland in..some movie with DeRay. Any girl whose 'ugliness' is defined by glasses and a hair bun.

Bad lying. Sweating, jitters, looking all over the place, that kind of stuff.

Invincible dogs.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was trying to watch Kick Ass for the first time On HBO and turned it right off during a ridiculous scene where a little white girl kicks a room full of Black men's ? and kills at least one of them. It got me thinking about some of the most overused and terrible cliche's movies use over and over

- The Black person is perceived as dangerous, untrustworthy, ghetto, or "cool" just by virtue of them being Black (damn near any movie)
    - The white person, against all odds, becomes a leader or saviour of a foreign community (see Avatar, Pocahontas)
    - the girlfriend catches her boyfriend in a compromising position and without waiting for an explanation, assumes he's cheating or worse (Hitch, Daddy's Little Girls, most Tyler Perry and romantic movies)

Kick Ass is a great movie though
  • soul rattler
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

So I'd heard. But that scene was oozing with racism.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

So I'd heard. But that scene was oozing with racism.

The graphic novel is even worse..

• MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the"simple misunderstanding" episodes
  • soul rattler
    Options

Hold up. Seinfeld pure genius.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hold up. Seinfeld pure genius.

Yea that's basically curb your enthusiasm
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody get's murked in Kick Ass though. Bad example.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Everybody get's murked in Kick Ass though. Bad example.

Who got murked first?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Fight scenes with 1 person against 20 and the 20 attacks one at a time smh

Boxing scenes when the main character gets his ass whooped the whole fight except "the dramatic" last round.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »

Boxing scenes when the main character gets his ass whooped the whole fight except "the dramatic" last round.
    Or the team sports where the protagonist's team is getting blown out the entire game until that emotional last quarter or ending.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The worst one I hate is when there's a big misunderstanding or somebody catches the end of a convo then a bunch of BS happens all because of a slight mis communication

can be seen in every show ever
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Any authority figure (police, mayor, president) not believing the main character's warning or excuse of a circumstance.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    One that comes to mind, randomly, was Ghostbusters 2, when they all were committed by the slimy mayor's aide after not being believed by the mayor himself. The city was attacked by a gigantic marshmallow man, and these guys stopped it, yet now, they are wrong.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The naive or clumsy person avoiding harm over and over. Let them get hurt every now and then.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The #1 thing I hate in all comedy' is when everything is going good and some stupid ? happens and they're mad at each other they play some dumb emotional music. have some kind of montage of the happy times. Why cant there be a funny movie where they dont get mad at each other. its a waste of 10 min
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1000 ? shooting at one ? and for some reason not one of them bullets hit him but he has excellent shooting.

White folk always checking out the "what was that noise over there?" In the bushes somewhere or something or having to go back to save they girl or some silly ass ? .

? always falling/dropping they keys when running away from a threat.

The Black, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern etc person always play an exaggerated stereotype and the White person is the normal/heroic one.

Tyler Perry
  • soul rattler
    Options
    This one's been killing me since I was a kid...

Let's say you're standing in front of a big ass tree and the tree is about to fall on you. Do you run in a straight line hoping to outrun the tree or do you sidestep the tree completely?
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This one's been killing me since I was a kid...

Let's say you're standing in front of a big ass tree and the tree is about to fall on you. Do you run in a straight line hoping to outrun the tree or do you sidestep the tree completely?

Prometheus? lol