Darnell Dockett Causes Stir On Twitter For His O.J. Simpson Comments

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
857825041.jpg?1403450236

In most cases, Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett is colorful and entertaining and ultimately harmless on Twitter. On Saturday night, he shared an observation that even he soon realized should be deleted.

“When you get married and sh*t don’t work out,” Dockett said. “She want 1/2 ‘HALF’ and see that’s where I have a issue.. I don’t blame OJ nevermind.”

After many reacted negatively to Dockett’s endorsement of O.J. Simpson’s alleged murder of his wife from 20 years ago, Dockett said, “I deleted my last tweet because y’all would take what I said wrong and I don’t feel like explaining where I’m coming from.”

And while he didn’t explain where he was coming from, Dockett finished with a flourish.

“And FYI I was not talking about murder,” Dockett said, again without explaining what he was talking about. “But if this was the case let’s not forget Oj was innocent and he proved it in court!”

Of course, O.J. wasn’t innocent. He was found not guilty because a jury disregarded overwhelming DNA evidence and other proof, locking instead on Simpson deftly spreading his fingers just enough to keep his ? gloves from fitting his hands. A civil jury later found Simpson responsible for killing his ex-wife and her friend, imposing a verdict on him of $33.5 million.

Dockett will likely face no scrutiny from the NFL or the Cardinals for his comments, and many would say he shouldn’t. Dockett is on his own time, away from work. If he wants to say something stupid, insensitive, or inflammatory, that’s his right. (And it’s everyone else’s right to point out that he’s being stupid, insensitive, and/or inflammatory.)

Making the situation a bit more delicate for the NFL and the team is the fact that, if Dockett had made a comment reflecting reluctance to tolerate or accept Rams defensive end Michael Sam or any other ? player, actions possibly would have been taken. It’s a balance the NFL and its teams will have a hard time striking, if teams like the Dolphins will continue to discipline players like defensive back Don Jones for things said on Twitter about Sam.

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O he wasnt talkn bout the murder
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Twitter: Exposing ? heads since 2006
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont see the big deal....
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    r ppl mad because OJ was acquitted, so he is slandering an innocent man?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Loose lips sink ships.

? who talk to much in real life get on social media and do the same.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the ~3rd time:

OJ didn't do it

As far as that other sitchy-a-shun...

Free The Juice
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    People still care about the OJ case?

? ...that's the trial of the century

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what i've seen he is the perfect case of nggas who are too real for twitter. He's like the ngga around the way that will have you weak on some real, non-PC ?

And i dont expect people to 'get' that he's recititing Chris Rock's joke...
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    People still care about the OJ case?

? ...that's the trial of the century

You know this is the internet....its popular to not give ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem I have with this is that comedians have been essentially making the "Wow, these wives want a lot of money after a divorce, I can see why <insert person> here did what they did." jokes for years. No one has ever had a fit or called those comedians dumb and insensitive. So why do people take these Twitter comments, which really shouldn't ever be given any more credence than a comedians act, so seriously?
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The problem I have with this is that comedians have been essentially making the "Wow, these wives want a lot of money after a divorce, I can see why <insert person> here did what they did." jokes for years. No one has ever had a fit or called those comedians dumb and insensitive.

really? i disagree. comedians get a lot of ? for the things they say, and not just "misogynistic" jokes. word to gilbert gottfried aka the aflac duck. and tracey morgan?
    So why do people take these Twitter comments, which really shouldn't ever be given any more credence than a comedians act, so seriously?

we all know why. plus we can't ignore the context: nfl players aren't professional comedians. apparently, nfl players are held to higher standards.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What I get confused about is the tweeter's reaction to their audience's reaction.

People send tweets to get attention, when the attention or reception is bad, then the tweeter thinks people are too sensitive and the like. But when you post your opinions or what not, which is your right to, expect people to do the same, which is their right to. They can ignore you as easily as you can block them. It goes both ways.

Also, the backtracking. You were talking about the murder regarding OJ, not the road rage, not the armed robbery, not the Naked Gun movies, but the murder. Own up to it, don't try to hide and say it wasn't about the murder.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Daily reminder that Oj didn't do anything wonder.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a comedian and being a football player on twitter are 2 wayyy different things.

As a comedian you rep ya self, as a football player you represent an organization and a league.

Comedians wouldn't make those jokes if they were getting paid 10 mil lol they on stage for a few hundred bucks. They have no need to give any ?
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh! Y'all don't follow Darnell. That ? don't give a ? .
  • purpngold
    purpngold Members Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bgoat wrote: »
    Oh! Y'all don't follow Darnell. That ? don't give a ? .
    Because everyone gets fake outraged about every damn thing now that they feel like they have a true platform in Twitter. It's such ? . Just like the Redskins name ? .
    quoted for the truth
  • bgoat
    Options
    Yeah, he don't give a ? about how people feel about his thoughts.

A lil background on Dockett
    http://youtu.be/YKrFPHNehFk

• purpngold
    Options

i saw a video of him playing against my high school back in the 90's that ? was and still is a damn savage i felt bad for the kids
  • bgoat
    Options
    purpngold wrote: »

i saw a video of him playing against my high school back in the 90's that ? was and still is a damn savage i felt bad for the kids

Was it this video??

http://youtu.be/kxAzRi_iO4Y
  • purpngold
    Options
    purpngold wrote: »

Was it this video??

http://youtu.be/kxAzRi_iO4Y

yeah
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Although it wasn't initially posted on twitter, where was the "outrage" when Hulk Hogan said he totally understands OJ now when his wife divorced him for some 20 year old dude back in 09?
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »
    Although it wasn't initially posted on twitter, where was the "outrage" when Hulk Hogan said he totally understands OJ now when his wife divorced him for some 20 year old dude back in 09?

Lol