NY WOMAN CLAIMS SHE WAS FIRED FOR REFUSING TO 'TAME" HER FRO..RIGHT OR WRONG?

Options
MARIO_DRO
MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
2hi5lck.jpg

Former AEG employee Tiffany Bryan recently filed a $900,000 lawsuit in a Brooklyn federal court after claiming the company fired her for refusing to “tame” her large afro.

Bryan, a 27-year-old bone-marrow cancer survivor, decided to go natural in 2008 when her hair began growing back following chemotherapy treatments and refused to change her signature style, even when her job was on the line.

The Queens native worked as a security guard at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center arena and claimed she was harassed about her hair until managers finally decided to let her go.

“It was ridiculous,” Bryan told the New York Post. “I couldn’t understand what they had a problem with. I would get compliments all the time from people at events at Barclays.”

The NY Post gives more details about Bryan’s story:

Bryan said she was first hired by AEG Worldwide in September 2013 and didn’t receive any hair-related reprimands until security supervisor Denise Brown told her last March that she “looked like she stuck her finger in a socket and was electrocuted.”

“At the time, I just took it as a joke,” Bryan recalled. “It was rude, but I just laughed it off. But it didn’t stop there.”

A few days later, security manager LaNiece Tyree told Bryan that she “needed to do something with her hair” and that she needed to “tame it,” according to the suit.

Bryan said that Tyree told her to wear a headband, but she explained it’d have to be worn uncomfortably tight for it to have any effect.

She finally agreed to the measure but said her bosses crossed the line when they demanded that she somehow fashion her hair into a ponytail.

“I told them my hair won’t do that,” Bryan said. “It’s sad that it even had to come to that. I didn’t feel like it was appropriate.”

Bryan’s discrimination lawsuit is working its way through the legal system. She now works as a mail carrier.

NY WOMAN CLAIMS SHE WAS FIRED FOR REFUSING TO 'TAME" HER FRO..RIGHT OR WRONG? 70 votes

It's her hair, she should be able to rock it just like this. I see no problems
54%
Dupacdwade206Recaptimus_Prime360playmaker88miamivice305  Colin$mackabi$h$ineedmoney$rip.dillaJusDre313obnoxiouslyfreshPurrdamobb2deepThe ProdigalsonVIBEiron man1gdatruth2.0Bussy_Getta NothingButTheTruthLike WaterShizlansky 38 votes
Shawty is in a professional environment, your hair being natural doesnt mean it should look unkept
32%
Cincovitoriadamnkpzombiebigduece69vagrant-718R.D.MECCA1000LPastCainAjackson17WhoisDonG???Jabu_RuleValentinez A. KaiserRasta.MrSoutCityLord_Hades_08THIRDSUPREMEBrideofKillaMoneyPowerRespect 23 votes
They fired her cause she looks like Aqua
12%
Mister B.VulcanRaven7figzBilly_PonchoOlorun22Aristo_V300ericb4prezMARIO_DROBamBamMr7Gram 9 votes

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrong.

Ok I'll read though
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pics of the fro
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options
    DAM MY BAD
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as her hair was well groomed and not looking unkempt I see no issue with her having a fro.

If a fro is unprofessional then so are White girls putting those streaks of dye in their head.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if she worked in food, she would have to rock a hairnet.... but as a security guard?.....foh
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She should have realized that corporations live desperately off of image though.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    she bout to be paid.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    she's a security guard

if she wants to rock the questlove so be it

the only place i see that not working out is in the food industry..... i was at smashburger the other day and was kinda ? when i saw one of the cooks come out of the kitchen with a bin laden beard....he probably didnt even make my ? but it still bothered me
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope she gets every penny. Like 3 years ago, my friend who was doing diabetes research at Mount Sinai came home with no dreads. I asked why he cut his hair and was told that a medical director advised him that he would be unable to continue in their program unless he shaved them off because "locks are unclean." I nearly LOST it. Absolutely floored, not only because an seemingly educated person overseeing a medical facility would say something so stupid, but that this ? went home and actually cut his hair off.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shawty is in a professional environment, your hair being natural doesnt mean it should look unkept
    I would hire her as a mail carrier, but not as a security guard. Image is everything, and if I own a business like that, i'm contracted. If the people I send to a site don't look respectable, or project authority, that reflects on me and the contracts I get, not saying its right, but right, and real are often two different things. No matter how much we clown top flight security, flash light cops and the like, it's a good business, and people feed they families off it. So if I have people who pay me complaining about you because as a security guard, you don't project an image of authority, then I have to do something to preserve my image for future business. Babygirl did nothing wrong whatsoever, and to keep it a buck, they saw her hair in the hiring process and should have considered it prior to hiring her. I understand it from both sides. As a mail carrier, as long as the mail gets delivered on time you good, the most you have to deal with people is getting signature confirmation so your image doesnt weigh as heavily. She was just in the wrong field, but at the end of the day, she gettin a check because she can't hire herself, and they had to see her hair before her first day, and you can't fire anybody for that reason, it's textbook discrimination. They'll settle because they don't want to go through the process so she'll see some change after lawyers, and all that. She not gettin close to that $900,000 though, she can dead that ? .
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options
    I hope she gets every penny. Like 3 years ago, my friend who was doing diabetes research at Mount Sinai came home with no dreads. I asked why he cut his hair and was told that a medical director advised him that he would be unable to continue in their program unless he shaved them off because "locks are unclean." I nearly LOST it. Absolutely floored, not only because an seemingly educated person overseeing a medical facility would say something so stupid, but that this ? went home and actually cut his hair off.

...SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO IN THIS WORLD
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm inclined to believe that, unless they had stipulations on appearance, they're foul.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hair has nothing to do with performance they are full of ? for firing her.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    foul..
    that ? is out of control tho..
    :ye shrug
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If she showed up every day looking like that, she wrong.

I think it said she started rocking a head band, so they wrong

Either way, a Sky part down the middle would have saved her a headache
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why not just go for a mill?
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see a settlement happening before this goes to court.
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dro i didn't know you grew ya hair out

Rockin the Frederick Douglas
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    keeping your hair natural is no excuse for making look like ? , ? looks like she just got out of bed i would have fired her ass too and i love natural hair. on a side note this ? is rocking the ? look real ? hard
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PEOPLE like her make it harder for people with natural hair to get a job you can't come to work looking like ? everyday
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    her hair looks aight, but I'm black. black ppls hair doesn't make me uncomfortable.
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tame that
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    conform ? !
    meanwhile white ppl can just b.
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was expecting some out of control ? but this don't even look that bad.