Chinese Businessman Trolls NY Homeless, Invites 200 to swanky Lunch, Sings 'We are the World', No $

Options
Darth Sidious
Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
Chinese tycoon's free lunch for homeless New Yorkers backfires

Controversial businessman Chen Guangbiao angered homeless people in New York after promising them $300 each and failing to deliver

The latest stunt by flamboyant Chinese businessman Chen Guangbiao backfired on Wednesday after he promised 200 homeless people $300 each – but then failed to pay up.

Chen had attracted attention by promising to donate the money over a free lunch at the Loeb Boathouse in New York's Central Park.

The 45-year-old – who has previously courted the media by selling canned fresh air in China and building a wall out of cash – bought all 200 attendees their lunch, but the money failed to materialise, leaving the homeless diners angry and confused by Chen's stunt.

"I could pay some bills, I could get some better clothes, I could get another place to stay tonight," said Clarence Taylor.

New York City Rescue Mission, which brought the homeless people to the event, said Chen had agreed to donate $90,000 to the organisation, not to individual diners.

"Mr Chen seems to like to make people happy so then he promised them cash in hand at the New York City Rescue Mission, which is not our contract that we have signed with Mr Chen," said Michelle Tolson, director of public relations.

In a press release the mission said that "had Mr Chen insisted on giving $300 cash to the guests at the Boathouse Luncheon" it would not have participated in the event.

Chen is known for high-profile acts of charity. He has previously given away envelopes of money to people in Taiwan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ_W3cHlRZ0

chenguangbiao_600x450_e0cddcffb0.jpg

Part-WAS-Was8764619-1-1-0.jpg

Comments