Why Y'all Don't Like Hockey? (Do You Think It's Too Bland?)

Options
GorillaWitAttitude
GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
I know some of you don't like hockey. Why is that? To be honest, I see hockey as an action packed sport. It entertains me more than football. Basically it's the only team sport I like besides Basketball. If you do or don't like Hockey discuss why.

OHL-Hockey-Plymouth-Whalers-vs-Saginaw-Spirit.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-YPqPfbZNQ1LhdMctz4xAOiLNTBzVEPryS71bjIHn4mbeqVgcz50-1ZyE

kings061314_672a.jpg

Comments

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You gotta go to a live game before you can appreciate it. Many ? don't have a competitive team in they city or just haven't been to a game. I wanted to be a baller till age 5 when we moved out the hood to the burbs and white boys were playing hockey. Went to a game live in hartford and was hooked. Started in 97 at age 7 after my parents saved up a few years and was on the top ranked team in the state for a month my senior year.

But you gotta get to a live game. Even with HD i watch hockey but not much outside my squad. Its a live game thats why the NHL has better in crowd attendance than the nba based on 2014 stats. But hey nfl and nba are better on tv. And this is coming from a ? who tries to get other brothas into the sport.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually like hockey a lot and the NHL arguably has the best playoffs but I'm so into basketball I don't have time for it. I definitely prefer hockey over baseball
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    also one thing i learned living in connecticut is allot of white people don't even ? with hockey as you think. Yes the sport is mostly white but its mostly canadian. Even in a state line mine that has produced superstars like LA Kings goalie Jon Quick and bryan leech and a few olympians there are large pockets of the state that done ? with hockey. And were not even talking about the midwest and south and west coast.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    also one thing i learned living in connecticut is allot of white people don't even ? with hockey as you think. Yes the sport is mostly white but its mostly canadian. Even in a state line mine that has produced superstars like LA Kings goalie Jon Quick and bryan leech and a few olympians there are large pockets of the state that done ? with hockey. And were not even talking about the midwest and south and west coast.

Damn I never knew that.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Damn I never knew that.

even the boston racist tweet bruins had hella fans who showed up after their cup run. and thats a city that has some of the deepest american hockey roots. until 2010 their fanbase was smaller despite the team still being a mostly playoff team from the early 2000's on. Its very niche which is why espn pretty much says ? hockey till the playoffs. If white people really loved hockey that ? would be on espn and have as much coverage as baseball. And many hockey die hards get pised but i don't knock their hustle. ? in this day in age if you really want to talk hockey they got the nhl network/blogs/youtube/podcasts etc. etc.

• zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just never grew up on hockey....wasn't xposed to it so that's why I don't like it.....I do not know any of the players xcrpt overchikin of capitals......

Hockey and nascar .....can't ? with white sports .......
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    Just never grew up on hockey....wasn't xposed to it so that's why I don't like it.....I do not know any of the players xcrpt overchikin of capitals......

Hockey and nascar .....can't ? with white sports .......

hockey isnt a white sport its a canadian sport the slap shot was actually created by black hockey players in canada. nearly every team now has a black player on the nhl roster or in the minor leagues now too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2QZm8llvig
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hockey for them crackas...real ? aint skatin around.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can go all day why I don't like certain sports, but what people also gotta realize is that upbringing has a lot to do with it.

Every team sport that I like today as a grown man (Football, Basketball, baseball) I was exposed to and played as a kid. I've played on organized teams for all three of those sports - how many black kids played organized hockey?

Not saying you can't learn to like a sport later in life, but it's almost like how it's easier to learn a second language as a child than it is as an adult. You're already set in your ways.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

but real ? like you watch scripted wwe past the age of 20 c'mon son if this ain't a real ? i dunno who is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-pPmr7YLqQ
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I can go all day why I don't like certain sports, but what people also gotta realize is that upbringing has a lot to do with it.

Every team sport that I like today as a grown man (Football, Basketball, baseball) I was exposed to and played as a kid. I've played on organized teams for all three of those sports - how many black kids played organized hockey?

Not saying you can't learn to like a sport later in life, but it's almost like how it's easier to learn a second language as a child than it is as an adult. You're already set in your ways.

i discount how you were raised a little and give more credit to you surroundings. People that move to a city that has hockey or the team is hot are getting into the sport where markets that don't or have a bad team have less fans/interest.

I know people who moved to boston for college and never went to my games in high school but not love it cause the city had a title winning team that drew them in. I know people who moved to LA and because of the ducks and kings became hockey fans and again never liked it in high school. I also know people who went to SEC schools and unlike here in the northeast became obsessed with college football when in high school it was all nfl. Its not about how you grew up but where you settle to live. Its also about how good your team is. Greenwood you should already know being an OKC fan how a hot team changed the viewership there. White folks ain't know the nba past the malice in the malice i bet in okc pre thunder.

I work in the ticketing industry and was talking to some white dude buying tickets from minnesota for a playoff game. I thought he was a huge fan. However despite living in a top 2 hockey state he was only going to surprise his girl whose family loved it but he never went to a game. So here I am black man is helping this white dude from one of the whitest states figure out whats the best view at a hockey game.

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I grew up liking Hockey during the Gretski era, lost touch for well over a decade but since the Bruins been competing and tgat NBA lockout year when I had knee surgery and needed something to watch I've gotten back into it
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options

Do your research on Hockey bro. I'm not the smartest on its history, but i'm still learning.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options

i discount how you were raised a little and give more credit to you surroundings. People that move to a city that has hockey or the team is hot are getting into the sport where markets that don't or have a bad team have less fans/interest.

I know people who moved to boston for college and never went to my games in high school but not love it cause the city had a title winning team that drew them in. I know people who moved to LA and because of the ducks and kings became hockey fans and again never liked it in high school. I also know people who went to SEC schools and unlike here in the northeast became obsessed with college football when in high school it was all nfl. Its not about how you grew up but where you settle to live. Its also about how good your team is. Greenwood you should already know being an OKC fan how a hot team changed the viewership there. White folks ain't know the nba past the malice in the malice i bet in okc pre thunder.

I work in the ticketing industry and was talking to some white dude buying tickets from minnesota for a playoff game. I thought he was a huge fan. However despite living in a top 2 hockey state he was only going to surprise his girl whose family loved it but he never went to a game. So here I am black man is helping this white dude from one of the whitest states figure out whats the best view at a hockey game.

Wrong and wrong.

1. The Kings have won 2 championships since I been living in L.A. and I probably give less of a ? about hockey than I did growing up in Oklahoma or living in Atlanta. I could at least name a few hockey players back when I was a kid - but now if you put a gun to my head and ask me to name 1 player on each NHL squad -- I'm dead.

2. Oklahoma has die hard sports fans. They've always been fans of the NBA, NFL, and baseball and OKC even has a semi-pro Hockey and Soccer team that sells out on the regular. You really need to stop watching hockey for a second and learn a few things about American sports fans if you think a city or a state "disregards" a sport unless they have a winning pro team locally.

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I respect hockey cause it's a rough and tumble sport but even I'm the State of Hockey I can't get into it.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the positions look the same to me like Soccer.Except the goalie.Where are the skill positions?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    alot of ? on this board want to pretend like they only ? with the sports you stereotypically see negroes in. I ? with hockey even tho I dont ? with some racist ass fans eho hide behind twitter accounts here in Boston.

Got fam from Montreal, they won't ever let me down about PK Subbans greatness
    subban_pk1.jpg
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    alot of ? on this board want to pretend like they only ? with the sports you stereotypically see negroes in. I ? with hockey even tho I dont ? with some racist ass fans eho hide behind twitter accounts here in Boston.

Got fam from Montreal, they won't ever let me down about PK Subbans greatness
    subban_pk1.jpg

those racist tweets is a boston issue. 100% of the time a black player has beat the bruins in overtime of a playoff game boston fans have tweeted racist ? and threw a bottle at him. i live up here in ct and have family in boston. White racism is everwhere boston ben a down low racist city for decades just like the atl been a down low brotha city. Its very subtle and side jabs or cheap shots.
  • proud_babydaddy
    proud_babydaddy Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Look how quick fox stopped showing hockey. Then look how quick the thrashers here in Georgia left. Just not a sport I watched. Scoring to little, rules are crazy (what's a cross check or icing).

And I rock with nascar. I like big v8 motors. The sound of them is like a lullaby.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Look how quick fox stopped showing hockey. Then look how quick the thrashers here in Georgia left. Just not a sport I watched. Scoring to little, rules are crazy (what's a cross check or icing).

And I rock with nascar. I like big v8 motors. The sound of them is like a lullaby.

Yeah, but now Hockey is on NBC. Also, fun fact I used to watch Nascar when I was a kid. I was a Jeff Gordon guy. I get what you are saying with the scoring part. However, when the score it feels like a good moment. Plus the fights in Hockey are cool and the season rivalries.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint nothing wrong with wrestling bruh, ? need to get that str8 for one thing.

and when it comes to hockey. ehh, i just couldnt get into it. i gave it a good try when i was younger tho. used to be heavy on the super nintendo game, but actually watching it just wasnt as exciting for me lol
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    aint nothing wrong with wrestling bruh, ? need to get that str8 for one thing.

and when it comes to hockey. ehh, i just couldnt get into it. i gave it a good try when i was younger tho. used to be heavy on the super nintendo game, but actually watching it just wasnt as exciting for me lol
    Pro Wrestling is cool as long as it isn't WWE. Don't get me wrong I respect all wrestlers for taking those bumps and etc. Also, I guess Hockey ain't for everybody.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can hardly see the puck

The fights are ridiculous

Players aren't really recognizable

Ice skating is just wack

Hard to differentiate the skillsets of the athletes and be impressed by different things.

Etc.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    You can hardly see the puck

The fights are ridiculous

Players aren't really recognizable

Ice skating is just wack

Hard to differentiate the skillsets of the athletes and be impressed by different things.

Etc.

Oh not the helmet thing again. In football the players wear helmets. Also, how is ice skating/hockey wack?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    maybe if the ice was blacc