Roberto Orci Officially Leaves ‘Amazing Spider-Man 3’; Series Could Be In Limbo

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F7e%2F5a%2Fc98edbb64904bf672262fbea91ff%2Famazing-spider-man-2.png

“Where there’s smoke there’s fire.” I kinda hate that phrase because it always lends credence to every damn rumor out there (the recent Gus Van Sant/”death Note” rumor of late is false and premature, for example). But maybe it applies here. A few weeks ago it was reported that “The Amazing Spider-Man 3” was going to lose its 2016 date and it may be delayed.

Well, it turns out this rumor is entirely possible. The ever-candid Roberto Orci, screenwriter behind the new “Star Trek” franchise, some of the earlier “Transformers” films and of course the rebooted “Amazing Spider-Man” series has revealed in an interview that he has officially left the Sony-produced super hero franchise. “I’m not officially involved in it," Orci told IGN of the upcoming “Spider-Man 3” film.

"I don't know what their plans are for that franchise,” he continued. “I don't ever want to say never, but we have to figure out what their scheduling is in terms of when they want each movie. I've read probably as much as anyone else. There's a love for ‘The Sinister Six,’ the idea of ‘Venom’ -- there's an idea of Spider-Man's going to be one of these characters that's part of our business. He's such a popular character. Spider-Man's not going to go away any time soon. When it all happens and how and all that has yet to be determined. I don't want to say anything about what they should do. I don't want them to think I'm spilling the beans about something."

That certainly sounds tenuous and doesn’t sound like the plan of the studio that was once certain they were releasing their ‘Spider-Man 3’ film in 2016 with the “Sinister Six” and “Venom” films to follow. Then again, if Orci’s not officially involved anymore, perhaps he’s out of the loop. But it does ring true with the original delay rumor that suggested Sony didn’t know what to do with the series – “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” was the lowest grossing film in the series abroad and at home including every film that Sam Raimi directed (minus inflation and 3D surcharges of course) – and maybe had to rethink the entire direction (since it doesn’t seem to be working in the $1 billion dollar gross range they were hoping for).

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If only Roberto Orci could leave Hollywood. I'm not surprised that the series is in limbo though. Everyone who saw the last one pretty much hated it. Funny thing is the complaints lobbied at it could be used against anything Orci has written with his partner in crime Kurtzman including the original The Amazing Spider-Man. Overscripting is just his forte; that's how hacks roll and it's good that he's creatively burning hollywood with his ? because they kept enabling it. Maybe this could be a good omen for Spider-Man movies in the future actually.