Cheap Seats Top 10 Players of All Time (The NBA Edition)

Options
af.r.i.c.a.
af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
Here's how it works. In this thread we will vote and debate who the top 10 NBA players of all time are and eventually conclude with a consensus top 10 by simply voting players in these positions from 1 down to 10. We'll start today with number 1 and work our way down the list. When a player is added to the list I will replace him with another worthy of that slot. You can choose to nominate a player to be added to the mix in your comment.

Cheap Seats Top 10 Players of All Time (The NBA Edition) 26 votes

Larry Bird
0%
Hakeem Olajuwon
3%
PanchoYoSancho 1 vote
Kobe Bryant
3%
ericb4prez 1 vote
Magic Johnson
3%
Jonah 2.0 1 vote
Michael Jordan
80%
S2JFocal Pointthe ghostjoeyfkncrakkgman82af.r.i.c.a.dallas' 4 evaL.O.S.T.IbexS.jR.its....JOHN BCrude_thegreatunknownT.Vick04Vader_F_Kennedyblu197TrillfateTHIRDSUPREMEdeemula420saracenwire 21 votes
Kareem Abdul-Jabar
7%
buttuh_bNothingButTheTruth 2 votes
Wilt Chamberlain
0%
Shaquille O'Neal
0%
Lebron James
0%
Bill Russell
0%

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You do top 10 lists every year..switch it up ?

Atleast find a way to incorporate diff players into your polls.

Nah I'm playing...but not really
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    This dude is always leaving Duncan out of his polls, wasn't "entertaining" enough for him
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    Parallel wrote: »
    Tim Duncan can't even get a shout out? Cold world.

I only wanted to use 10 slots.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    Beta wrote: »
    You do top 10 lists every year..switch it up ?

Atleast find a way to incorporate diff players into your polls.

Nah I'm playing...but not really

I've never done this thread.. it was a top 10 players currently in the league thread that your referring to.. so yea i switched it up.. Now go crawl back into your mothers ? ..
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable about ranking players that I did not see play. (Wilt & Russell) I'm gonna sit this one out.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    I get that but If your a student of the game your familiar with their pedigree and resume. You don't necessarily need to watch and break down film to know that MJ is the GOAT or that Magic was one of the best 5 players to ever play. For a casual hoop fan It would be difficult to rank these players but if you know your ? then you should be able to easily.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    O.G. wrote: »
    I don't feel comfortable about ranking players that I did not see play. (Wilt & Russell) I'm gonna sit this one out.

Stop lying ? .. yo old ass had court side seats the night Wilt dropped 100 lol
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    I get that but If your a student of the game your familiar with their pedigree and resume. You don't necessarily need to watch and break down film to know that MJ is the GOAT or that Magic was one of the best 5 players to ever play. For a casual hoop fan It would be difficult to rank these players but if you know your ? then you should be able to easily.

You shouldn't even have to explain this, it should be common sense...
  • O.G.
    Options

You have to consider rule changes of each era. Common opponents, teammates and technology. For every ten peers from Magic's era that will tell you he was the best guard they ever seen, ten from Oscar's era will swear he was the best they ever saw. They played the game and seen all the generations and can't even agree. So how are people who only seen highlights and heard other peoples opinions able to say they are qualified to rank the all-time greats? I'm not hating on your thread but it's threads like these where some of the stupidest ? gets said bcuz people speak on what they don't know.
  • O.G.
    Options

Stop lying ? .. yo old ass had court side seats the night Wilt dropped 100 lol

nope but i was at every finals game of the Sixers vs Blazers and every Sixers vs Lakers finals. Like Goldie told Pretty Tony. "? can you buy that?"
  • blu197
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    blu197 wrote: »

Ranking people isn't common sense. There's no set criteria and as such basing it off a highlight reel and looking at stats is far different than growing up and seeing that person. There's really not a comparison.

It's like somebody that's in their 20s trying to school me on Oscar Robertson being one of the greatest ever just because Sportscenter always brings up how many triple-doubles he had.

This ain't the stone age bruh we have the internet, that's like someone saying i can't rate Ali and Mike Tyson b/c i didn't see them live...

it doesn't matter if you didn't see them play live or watched every game they played, even back then ppl didn't see every game of their favorite player (unless you lived in the city your favorite player played in) b/c basketball wasn't televised like that and there wasn't any League Pass or none of that ? obviously... If your a fan of the sport and study the game than it should be common sense that Bill and Wilt are top 10 players All-time regardless of Era
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan

You have to consider rule changes of each era. Common opponents, teammates and technology. For every ten peers from Magic's era that will tell you he was the best guard they ever seen, ten from Oscar's era will swear he was the best they ever saw. They played the game and seen all the generations and can't even agree. So how are people who only seen highlights and heard other peoples opinions able to say they are qualified to rank the all-time greats? I'm not hating on your thread but it's threads like these where some of the stupidest ? gets said bcuz people speak on what they don't know.

Yea good points but some of the factors I take into account when tanking the all time greats include

Accolades(Championships/MVPs/All Star appearances/Stats)
    Did he dominate his era(60s/70s/80s ect...)
    Was that player a consistent winner
    Level of competition in that Era
    Longevity/Overall consistency
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan

Ranking people isn't common sense. There's no set criteria and as such basing it off a highlight reel and looking at stats is far different than growing up and seeing that person. There's really not a comparison.

It's like somebody that's in their 20s trying to school me on Oscar Robertson being one of the greatest ever just because Sportscenter always brings up how many triple-doubles he had.

This ain't the stone age bruh we have the internet, that's like someone saying i can't rate Ali and Mike Tyson b/c i didn't see them live...

it doesn't matter if you didn't see them play live or watched every game they played, even back then ppl didn't see every game of their favorite player (unless you lived in the city your favorite player played in) b/c basketball wasn't televised like that and there wasn't any League Pass or none of that ? obviously... If your a fan of the sport and study the game than it should be common sense that Bill and Wilt are top 10 players All-time regardless of Era

And I'd say that if you study the game then it should be common sense that Tim Duncan is a top 10 player regardless of era especially given that he might have been the greatest of the previous era even moreso than Kobe (who is on the list).

Sneak diss? Next time quote me if you want to take a shot and like I said you can nominate Duncan if you want.. Not like any of the guys in the poll were reaches but it looks like you just want to ? about the thread instead of participating..
  • blu197
    Options
    Michael Jordan

And I'd say that if you study the game then it should be common sense that Tim Duncan is a top 10 player regardless of era especially given that he might have been the greatest of the previous era even moreso than Kobe (who is on the list).

That sounds like a problem you have with the TS i didn't make the list... But ns on Duncan, dude is overrated heavily... Kobe was playing with a Top 10 Alltime player (and vice versa with Shaq) so i don't hold not being the best player in the Finals against him as much some, but Duncans had a Top 3 supporting cast from his rookie year-present and only has 6 Final trips to show for it (Kobe 7, Shaq 6, Lebron 5 already) and wasn't the best player in 2 out 5 he won, well it should be 3 b/c Manu was robbed in 05' for Finals MVP
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not this again.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan is slightly overrated in all-time category

Not that there is a golden official book of all time players
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seriously... kobe and lebron and duncan are still playing.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    coop9889 wrote: »

and? Nas and Jay are still rapping. Does that mean we have to wait for them to retire to include them in our top 5?
  • blu197
    Options
    Michael Jordan

That sounds like a problem you have with the TS i didn't make the list... But ns on Duncan, dude is overrated heavily... Kobe was playing with a Top 10 Alltime player (and vice versa with Shaq) so i don't hold not being the best player in the Finals against him as much some, but Duncans had a Top 3 supporting cast from his rookie year-present and only has 6 Final trips to show for it (Kobe 7, Shaq 6, Lebron 5 already) and wasn't the best player in 2 out 5 he won, well it should be 3 b/c Manu was robbed in 05' for Finals MVP
    Averaging 20 and 11 over 17 seasons, rookie of the year, top 5 MVP voting (winning 2 back to back) for 8 straight seasons), 5 NBA championships (3 times finals MVP), 10 times all NBA first team, 8 times all defensive first team....really don't see how that's "overrated".

He's overrated b/c since 07 he's been putting up avg All-Star numbers but since his supporting cast is so great he stays contending and gets all the credit most of time b/c ppl don't pay attention to the Spurs..
  • O.G.
    Options

Yea good points but some of the factors I take into account when tanking the all time greats include

So did you consider the DPOY did not come around until '82-83. Kareem, Wilt & Russell would have a bunch of them. How about the three point shot? It's totally changed how the game is played now.How about the Finals MVP? They didn't give them out until '69. Sucks for Russell and others. How about when it was just a 10 team league? Is that fair to the newer generations. Wouldn't you say that winning MVP's and championships and being consistent winners have a lot to do with being on a good team. Wouldn't you agree that today's players have better nutrition, training and technology that puts them at an advantage when it comes to longevity? It's just hard to compare players from different eras and then ranking them has to be extremely hard.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan

So did you consider the DPOY did not come around until '82-83. Kareem, Wilt & Russell would have a bunch of them. How about the three point shot? It's totally changed how the game is played now.How about the Finals MVP? They didn't give them out until '69. Sucks for Russell and others. How about when it was just a 10 team league? Is that fair to the newer generations. Wouldn't you say that winning MVP's and championships and being consistent winners have a lot to do with being on a good team. Wouldn't you agree that today's players have better nutrition, training and technology that puts them at an advantage when it comes to longevity? It's just hard to compare players from different eras and then ranking them has to be extremely hard.

That's hella questions but ill say this.. as a student of the game I'm well aware of all of those things you listed so yes I do factor those into my decision.. Accolades ain't everything which is why I can only respect them to a certain degree but the thing i look for more than anything is Winning and that's one thing that everyone i listed and even a few others who haven't been listed yet have in common. If you were a winner and dominated your era then your automatically in the conversation
  • coop9889
    Options

and? Nas and Jay are still rapping. Does that mean we have to wait for them to retire to include them in our top 5?

Struggle analogy.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the thread ain't goin TS way lol
  • coop9889
    Options
    ? keep doin top 10s for no reason
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Michael Jordan

Struggle analogy.

That was actually a perfect analogy.. your just to simple to comprehend