Some conservatives: Holder playing racial politics

Options
janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
Some conservatives: Holder playing racial politics
Attorney General Eric Holder says he sees "racial animus" in strident Republican opposition to some Obama administration policies. Some media conservatives say he's playing racial politics.

Holder on Sunday told ABC's "This Week" that "there's a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that's directed at me (and) directed at the President. ... There's a certain racial component to this for some people."

Holder said he also stood by comments from a 2009 speech in which he said America is a "nation of cowards" on race and sees a crop of new voter identification laws, many of them passed by GOP-controlled state legislatures, as a way to disenfranchise minority voters.

Some conservative figures accused Holder and the White House of "playing to the fears and anxieties of minorities in hopes of scaring them to the polls in November," as Wall Street Journal opinion writer Jason L. Riley wrote in an editorial for the paper on Monday.

"The willingness of the Obama administration to stoke racial divisions for political gain is astounding," Riley wrote adding that the voter identification laws are intended to ensure "ballot integrity" and that there's no proof they suppress minority votes.

Former Illinois Republican congressman turned conservative radio host Joe Walsh Tweeted: "Simple question for Eric Holder and all others who use race to protect Obama: Is it possible to oppose Obama and not be a racist?"
bias alert: i despise Eric Holder

but to be honest, while i have no doubt there's a number of people who dislike Obama for racist reasons, i have no doubt Holder is, in fact, "playing to the fears and anxieties of minorities in hopes of scaring them to the polls in November." because this kind of sort of seems like a default response he kicks out whenever people get worked up about Holder for any reason.

dispute away

Comments

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree... Holder is the ONLY Black in the administration that's willing to say what we ALL know... the basis of anonymous towards Barack is cloaked in racism. Holder has had no problem stating the truth and should be commended for that... other ? he does, not so much, but he's correct on this and a G for letting people know.

Loved when he shut down Louie Gohmert
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbgJGZTVP0

• janklow
    Options
    GettinLo wrote: »
    the basis of anonymous towards Barack
    what
    GettinLo wrote: »
    Holder has had no problem stating the truth and should be commended for that...
    eh, he's a liar, so i don't grant that he EVER speaks the truth.

and the fact is, if your theory is ALL complaints about Obama/Holder/whoever are strictly based on racism, come on, that's a ? argument from the jump.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eric Holder didn't say ALL the hate towards him and Obama is racist, but he did say SOME of it was. So in essence, I don't really have a problem with what he said.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Those conservatives are Cacs thats why..

They have a channel dedicated to stoke the fires.. and have so since forever and especially since Obamas pending presidency

• janklow
    Options
    Eric Holder didn't say ALL the hate towards him and Obama is racist, but he did say SOME of it was. So in essence, I don't really have a problem with what he said.
    i think the difference is that Obama doesn't seem to reference this regularly, whereas Holder seems to in the face of any sustained criticism. i mean, i recall people hating on Clinton (and Janet Reno) and Bush (and, say, Alberto Gonzales) FIERCELY and i don't think we called it race-related in any of these cases...

also, i believe Obama did the "because of my race, some dudes like me more, some dudes like me less" thing, which makes it seem more like a serious comment on it and less as a distraction