Billionaire's breakup plan would chop California into six states.

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
Billionaire's breakup plan would chop California into six states
BY JENNIFER CHAUSSEE
San Francisco Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:33pm EDT

?m=02&d=20140715&t=2&i=934055977&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=LYNXMPEA6E01F
Timothy Draper, Founder and Managing Director of Draper Fisher Jurvetson, speaks at the Reuters Global Technology Summit New York May 21, 2009 file photo.

(Reuters) - A long-shot effort to break California into six separate states got a boost on Monday, when the billionaire venture capitalist behind the proposal said he had gathered enough signatures to place it on the ballot in two years.

Timothy Draper, a founder of a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm that has invested in Twitter, Skype and Tesla, among other companies, has been agitating for months for a ballot initiative to chop the most populous U.S. state into smaller entities.

"It’s important because it will help us create a more responsive, more innovative and more local government, and that ultimately will end up being better for all of Californians," said Roger Salazar, a spokesman for the campaign. "The idea ... is to create six states with responsive local governments - states that are more representative and accountable to their constituents."

Salazar said Monday that the campaign had gathered more than the roughly 808,000 signatures needed to place the measure on the November, 2016 ballot. Draper and other supporters plan to file the signatures with California Secretary of State Debra Bowen on Tuesday.

But the plan has raised bipartisan hackles across the state, and opponents say it stands little chance of gaining voter approval. If it does win the support of voters, it must still be passed by Congress, which opponents say is also unlikely.

"This is a colossal and divisive waste of time, energy, and money that will hurt the California brand,” said Steven Maviglio, a Democratic political strategist who has formed the group OneCalifornia with GOP strategist Joe Rodota to fight Draper’s plan. "It has zero chance of passage. But what it does is scare investment away... at a time when the Governor is leading us to an economic comeback.”

Draper's plan would split the world’s eighth-largest economy along geographic lines.

One state, to be called Silicon Valley, would include the tech hub along with the San Francisco Bay Area. Jefferson, named after the third U.S. president, would encompass the northernmost region. The state capital of Sacramento would be in North California, while South California would be made up of San Diego and the eastern suburbs of Los Angeles.

L.A. itself would be part of a state called West California.

Proponents say the division would help create a more business-friendly environment, solve the state’s water issues, and ease traffic congestion.

(Editing by Sharon Bernstein and Eric Walsh)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/15/us-usa-california-breakup-idUSKBN0FK03P20140715
1405420324560_wps_2_image001_png.jpg

Mr Draper, a founder of a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm that has invested in Twitter, Skype and Tesla, among other companies, has been agitating for months for a ballot initiative to chop the most populous U.S. state into smaller entities.

'It’s important because it will help us create a more responsive, more innovative and more local government, and that ultimately will end up being better for all of Californians,' said Roger Salazar, a spokesman for the campaign.

'The idea ... is to create six states with responsive local governments - states that are more representative and accountable to their constituents.

'Salazar said Monday that the campaign had gathered more than the roughly 808,000 signatures needed to place the measure on the November, 2016 ballot.

Draper and other supporters plan to file the signatures with California Secretary of State Debra Bowen on Tuesday.
But the plan has raised bipartisan hackles across the state, and opponents say it stands little chance of gaining voter approval.

If California did vote for the change, it would then be up to the US Congress to authorise the new states' inclusion into the union which opponents say is also unlikely.

'This is a colossal and divisive waste of time, energy, and money that will hurt the California brand,' said Steven Maviglio, a Democratic political strategist who has formed the group OneCalifornia with GOP strategist Joe Rodota to fight Draper’s plan.

'It has zero chance of passage. But what it does is scare investment away... at a time when the Governor is leading us to an economic comeback.

'Draper's plan would split the world’s eighth-largest economy along geographic lines.

One state, to be called Silicon Valley, would include the tech hub along with the San Francisco Bay Area. Jefferson, named after the third U.S. president, would encompass the northernmost region.

The state capital of Sacramento would be in North California, while South California would be made up of San Diego and the eastern suburbs of Los Angeles.L.A. itself would be part of a state called West California.

Were his plan to be implemented Mr Draper, who made his name, and some of his fortune, investing in Skype and Hotmail, would find himself living in the Silicon Valley state as he lives in Atherton - located between San Francisco and San Jose, and ranked number two on Forbes magazine's most expensive zip codes.

Proponents say the division would help create a more business-friendly environment, solve the state’s water issues, and ease traffic congestion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2692747/Could-California-split-six-Billionaire-s-plan-divide-Golden-State-gets-signatures-make-2016-ballot.html

Comments

• GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    Seems like a good idea I guess.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    sounds more like keep us away from them ? and spics....we are different than them

Not to mention our taxes. I think that was most of the motivation

A lot easier to wield influence on their politicians. That silicon valley state would be a huge tax haven for big corporations I bet. They'd. Probably all high tail it there
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    I don't see this plan going through though.
  • h8rhurta
    h8rhurta Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never chop Texas up (except when DJ Screw came through...............MAAAAANNNNNNN!)
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like they trying to do another Detroit except this will be statewide. According to this video the Billionaire Bankers that Obama 'bailed' out in 2008 were/are the same ones that destroyed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gjsRtqivw&feature=youtu.be
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's stupid.why you wanna divide a whole state into six states?cmon now
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the economy of the World is still not in good shape so maybe they're trying to make larger exclusive communities for the upper middle class and the rich.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    it's stupid.why you wanna divide a whole state into six states?cmon now
    i'm not sure "why would you ever divide a large state into smaller states" is a real argument against it. after all, it's happened before.
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It should be broken up into 3 States, not 6 (that's too many).

the San Diego area on down (and maybe a little more else somewhere) being called "Old Mexico".

And from that point on up just have Northern California and Southern California.

And then turn the DMV area into "South Washington" with "District City" as the State Capitol. And then give Delaware to Maryland and stretch a little bit of every other State border to just for "re-districting".

And create a new District from the White House to the Pentagon to Capitol Hill called "Western District". An area deliberately dedicated to the Federal Government where no one is allowed to live except the First & Second Families and certain Federal workers

And then officially add Puerto Rico to the U.S.

As you can see I've actually been about this idea for a minute. If we're to strive for a "more perfect union" then in some cases Gerrymandering is okay.

Even the cheapest Mexicans are more expensive than Slavery has been for Blacks. Truth is unless a vicious martial law plan is executed They'll never be able to get that type of clout and resouces ever again. Even Outsourcing Overseas doesn't compare

You need new ideas if They aren't going to go down that route again. That includes New State Boarders and Laws. A place like South Washington and Old Mexico would help micromanage the economy better.

One for Wealth & Education & Power (South Washington). And the other for Boarder purposes and to give back a part of something that once belonged to those people (and the Natives too) - Old Mexico.

It only makes sense. We have to think about our Past. But lets not forget about our Present and our Future either
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Texas>>>Cali

In more ways than one.
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    For Old Mexico we could aquire some of that Land on the current Boarder.

And that doesn't mean we kick the already Residents out. It just means that we Secure Our Boarder. Its the cost of Democracy with Good Policy. And it doesn't have to be a huge chunk either but just something extra for Businesses and Security
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    They need to keep Cali the way it is.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is a state in a first world country having water issues is my question
  • janklow
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    As you can see I've actually been about this idea for a minute. If we're to strive for a "more perfect union" then in some cases Gerrymandering is okay.
    Gerrymandering is not about making additional politically-appropriate regions, and the only time people cosign it is when they benefit from the schemes it produces. so...
    Trashboat wrote: »
    tragedy of the commons meets Americans

• MoneyLuver
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Gerrymandering is not about making additional politically-appropriate regions, and the only time people cosign it is when they benefit from the schemes it produces. so...
    Trashboat wrote: »
    tragedy of the commons meets Americans

I'm quite aware of that holms. That's why I said it
  • janklow
    Options
    thing is, it seems like you were saying gerrymandering is acceptable under certain circumstances. i would argue that it is never acceptable.

• MoneyLuver
    Options
    thing is, it seems like you were saying gerrymandering is acceptable under certain circumstances. i would argue that it is never acceptable.

Just becuz u could Act & Play A Role as Opposer for Debating Purposes doesn't put Reality on your side.

Gerrymandering in cases like "South Washington" & dividing Cali into 2-3 States is perfectly okay. Gerrymandering is only unacceptable when the purpose of it isn't "for the people".

Gerrymandering is what's needed a little more nowadays. Thing is, lately, the Gerrymandering that's been going on has only been done by the goons of the Republican Party for the sole purposes of winning Elections and not really so much for the people in their District (the old 1 and the new 1).

I know people went thru hell to establish the Now boarder lines but with a little foresight and communication we can do what makes sense. And really its only a handful of States that need to do this, not every State (that'd be a little overkill and unnecessary)
  • janklow
    Options
    Just becuz u could Act & Play A Role as Opposer for Debating Purposes doesn't put Reality on your side.
    uh.. actually, i think the MAJOR problem here is that you don't seem to get what gerrymandering is.

gerrymandering is NOT creating new districts or states, or dividing old ones. gerrymandering is "a practice that attempts to establish a political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries to create partisan advantaged district." i have bolded the relevant portion. this is why it is never for the people and it is never okay. and when you say it IS, you're basically saying it is when it suits you. and see this here:
    Thing is, lately, the Gerrymandering that's been going on has only been done by the goons of the Republican Party for the sole purposes of winning Elections and not really so much for the people in their District (the old 1 and the new 1).
    the thing is, Democrats gerrymander too, and for the same reasons. it's not a liberal or conservative thing, it's a partisan thing.
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    uh.. actually, i think the MAJOR problem here is that you don't seem to get what gerrymandering is.

gerrymandering is NOT creating new districts or states, or dividing old ones. gerrymandering is "a practice that attempts to establish a political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries to create partisan advantaged district." i have bolded the relevant portion. this is why it is never for the people and it is never okay. and when you say it IS, you're basically saying it is when it suits you. and see this here:
    Thing is, lately, the Gerrymandering that's been going on has only been done by the goons of the Republican Party for the sole purposes of winning Elections and not really so much for the people in their District (the old 1 and the new 1).
    the thing is, Democrats gerrymander too, and for the same reasons. it's not a liberal or conservative thing, it's a partisan thing.

And again, when done for the right reasons it can be a good thing.

U have a fear that all Politics are wrong, you're pumping hysteria in your own heart.

And I'm not a Democrat or an Independent or a No-Party ass muthafucka so guess what's left? So u can miss me by coming at me like a Democrat.

Most people aren't Leaders, they need to be led. Gerrymandering (or REDISTRICTING, whatever word u wanna use) is what my area and California need (which is long overdue)

Stop always trying to be the smart guy in the thread. Just spill your 2€ and keep it movin
  • janklow
    edited August 2014
    Options
    except that gerrymandering is never done "for the right reasons." it is ONLY done for partisan benefit. this is where the term came from. it is explicitly NOT the same thing as redistricting, which is why a method of combating gerrymandering is to install bipartisan commissions to handle redistricting in order to eliminate gerrymandering.

but this is stuff you'd pick up if you spent less time fighting this "GERRYMANDERING IS GREAT" goal and more time reading what i have actually posted.
    U have a fear that all Politics are wrong, you're pumping hysteria in your own heart.
    no, i object to ? politics. you obviously do not.
    And I'm not a Democrat or an Independent or a No-Party ass muthafucka so guess what's left? So u can miss me by coming at me like a Democrat.
    there is literally NO Republican out there who bashes Republicans for gerrymandering while ignoring the fact that Democrats also gerrymander. so if you're going to make up a story to bolster your post, do a better job.
    Most people aren't Leaders, they need to be led.
    hell of an argument for a government of the people!
    Gerrymandering (or REDISTRICTING, whatever word u wanna use) is what my area and California need (which is long overdue)
    i'll say it again: gerrymandering and redistricting are NOT the same thing. the former may be a form of the latter, but the latter is not composed of the former.
    Stop always trying to be the smart guy in the thread. Just spill your 2€ and keep it movin
    spoken like someone who knows his argument is busted and just wants to declare that people can't argue with him. to which i can only say "ahahahahaha." might also help to actually read that Wikipedia link for a bit before complaining about people trying to be the smart guy.

• MoneyLuver
    Options
    except that gerrymandering is never done "for the right reasons." it is ONLY done for partisan benefit. this is where the term came from. it is explicitly NOT the same thing as redistricting, which is why a method of combating gerrymandering is to install bipartisan commissions to handle redistricting in order to eliminate gerrymandering.

but this is stuff you'd pick up if you spent less time fighting this "GERRYMANDERING IS GREAT" goal and more time reading what i have actually posted.
    no, i object to ? politics. you obviously do not.
    there is literally NO Republican out there who bashes Republicans for gerrymandering while ignoring the fact that Democrats also gerrymander. so if you're going to make up a story to bolster your post, do a better job.
    Most people aren't Leaders, they need to be led.
    hell of an argument for a government of the people!
    Gerrymandering (or REDISTRICTING, whatever word u wanna use) is what my area and California need (which is long overdue)
    i'll say it again: gerrymandering and redistricting are NOT the same thing. the former may be a form of the latter, but the latter is not composed of the former.
    spoken like someone who knows his argument is busted and just wants to declare that people can't argue with him. to which i can only say "ahahahahaha." might also help to actually read that Wikipedia link for a bit before complaining about people trying to be the smart guy.

Stopped reading at "except Gerrymandering never..."

Clearly u wanna have a debate about something else. Becuz you're totally acting remedial intentionally.

I'm not taking tha bait Sir
  • janklow
    Options
    weird how people come on a public forum geared around, you know, discussions and then act surprised when people discuss things.

not sure which is the classier move, though, the "can't read posts because they correct my errors in reasoning" or the "won't debate but WILL talk ? ." maybe both!

okay, go back to pretending shady politics are cool when they benefit you but OUTRAGEOUS when they don't.
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    weird how people come on a public forum geared around, you know, discussions and then act surprised when people discuss things.

not sure which is the classier move, though, the "can't read posts because they correct my errors in reasoning" or the "won't debate but WILL talk ? ." maybe both!

okay, go back to pretending shady politics are cool when they benefit you but OUTRAGEOUS when they don't.

No. You want to discuss your own one sided negative view of something totally left field of tha point I was trying to make.

All the logic and reasoning I was tryna get at was totally ignored for the sake of you trying to control a conversation about something else
  • janklow
    Options
    No. You want to discuss your own one sided negative view of something totally left field of tha point I was trying to make.
    All the logic and reasoning I was tryna get at was totally ignored for the sake of you trying to control a conversation about something else
    wrong.
    in your very first post in this thread, you tossed out that gerrymandering is a great thing when it works the way you want. i APPARENTLY did the outrageous thing of "disagreeing with you on an internet forum and explaining why."

i mean, it's cool if you don't agree and it's cool if you want to be actively ignorant about what gerrymandering ACTUALLY IS. but since this is entirely relevant to your argument, it's going to get discussed.

also, i don't really feel much sympathy for a claim of "all the logic and reasoning I was tryna get at" when you're willfully ignoring what something you're discussing is.