‘Sinister Six’ May Be Cancelled

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
sinister-six-movie-canceled1.jpg

The last month has brought some troubling updates on the future of the Amazing Spider-Man movie property. Both Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman – two members of the “brain trust” announced by Sony for future Amazing Spider-Man installments and/or spinoffs – recently admitted that they’re uncertain about the current game plan, especially when it concerns Amazing Spider-Man 3. In the meantime, we’ve speculated that Sinister Six will be the next Spider-Man film to hit theaters – and that could still prove to be true. The rumor mill, however, is suggesting otherwise.

Orci is currently putting together a script for the next Star Trek film (which he’s expected to direct), while last week Kurtzman said that “front and center” on his list of priorities is getting Universal’s rebooted monsters universe off the ground – but he also mentioned that he’s been working alongside Drew Goddard on Sinister Six. However, in the site’s report on Kurtzman’s comments, Badass Digest‘s Devin Faraci wrote that “every day that passes I hear more and more scuttlebutt that makes me think ‘Sinister Six’ is dead or dying.”

Similarly, the famous (or infamous, whichever you prefer) “scooper” El Mayimbe recently made waves when he posted the following, self-explanatory Tweet:

Now, before we go too far down this rabbit hole, let’s back up and look at the “evidence” that Sinister Six has not, in fact, been cancelled, nor is it likely to be in the near future. For starters, we heard that Sinister Six will begin production in January 2015 even before Amazing Spider-Man 2 was released in theaters. Taking more recent information under consideration, this suggests that the Spider-Man supervillain team-up movie may’ve always been the film meant to take that 2016 release date that we assumed was intended for Amazing Spider-Man 3 – something that explains why the latter project doesn’t appear to be making a whole lot of progress forward right now.

Goddard, who is serving as the writer/director on Sinister Six, officially stepped down as show-runner for Marvel Studios’ upcoming Daredevil Netflix series back in May. It’s possible Sony has decided to move forward with Sinister Six sooner than expected, which is why Goddard dropped Daredevil – he needed to focus on getting the Spider-Man villain spinoff ready to go earlier than he’d originally anticipated. Things might be different now if, over the months since then, Sony’s original Amazing Spider-Man franchise plan has become (as Badass Digest‘s article put it) “essentially DOA” – a real tough break for Goddard, if true.

Again, it’s probably best to hold off on calling Sinister Six‘s premature death just yet; what does seem a given, however, is that Sony is indeed re-evaluating its Spider-Man movie strategy. Amazing Spider-Man 2 has grossed around $705 million worldwide in theaters, which is a great number, but a noticeable drop-off from its predecessor and a lower turnout than both the recent X-Men and Captain America film installments – minus the strong word of mouth that those movies earned – so some re-thinking on Sony’s part is in order.

For now, Sony is still claiming a June 10th, 2016 release date spot for some movie set in the Amazing Spider-Man universe, be it Sinister Six or Amazing Spider-Man 3. We’ll let you know more when we do

Comments

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    +your++.+HE+is+_af94534bddf906f0dcefcd111c546359.gif

? woulda been garbage anyway
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is this good enough for it to go back to marvel?
    i highly doubt it. they'll probably just get someone else to do it and keep churning them out so the rights don't go back.
    i watched the first and didn't like it. i'll check the second one out. i really wanted to see jamie's role as the villain.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gave you a GOAT, glad they cancelled this garbage ass twilight wannabe franchise.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't see this movie succeeding anyway. Which is good cuz after this it was Venoms turn and I'd rather have no venom then a fck up
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can't wait for the eventual Spiderman reboot
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would've been ass anyway

I saw tasm2 yesterday it wasn't that good
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah that was too soon for a spidey reboot

Both were just iiiight
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the eve of Comic-Con, Sony has announced the release date of their villain-centric Spider-Man spinoff The Sinister Six for November 11, 2016, and are also pushing The Amazing Spider-Man 3 to an unspecified date in 2018.

According to Variety, Sinister Six will be released before The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which was initially slated for a June 10, 2016 release date. The Amazing Spider-Man 4 was originally set for a 2018 release, but that will no longer be the case.

Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad commented on the Sinister Six date, saying, "With Sinister Six in the hands of writer-director Drew Goddard, we feel extremely confident placing the film on a prime date in 2016."

So not only will there be a Sinister Six film before the third Andrew Garfield Spidey film hits, but presumably still the Venom solo film from writer/director Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek Into Darkness).

Keep your eyes on IGN for further Spidey-centric announcements during Comic-Con!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/23/sonys-spider-man-spinoff-sinister-six-gets-a-release-date
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hilarious. Both Fox and Marvel have stepped their game substantially while Sony is tripping over its own feet.

Best case scenario is that Sony cuts a deal with Marvel which allows them to still own the movie rights but split profits in exchange for Marvel having creative control over the property.