lookdude
lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
bYmdHcX.gif
muhammad-ali-o.gif

In their prime who gon win this fight: Ali or Tyson 62 votes

Ali
83%
lion_heartgnsdwade206killapmarc123Focal Pointthe ghostxtraillbigduece69d.greenChef_Taylor achewon87RobCoLifeP. Towngman82BeleeDatPleighboyDOPEdweebzGlockLesnar CapitalBThe Lonious Monk 52 votes
Tyson
16%
Dupacmiamivice305spit_fiyaWill MunnyTrillfateLUClENSolitary SoldierMARIO_DROIAmDopeSmoke[Deleted User] 10 votes

Comments

• D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Tyson said it out his own mouth, he lacks stamina. once a fight goes past the 6 th or 7 th round hes in trouble...

• blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    I think Ali would get in Tyson's head easily in the fight by calling him ugly/dumb, talking about his speech while dancing around the ring... He'll tire Tyson out while scoring points effectively with jabs and mini combos and by the 7 or 8th round Ali would start to go for the knockout..

Tyson would have a chance to win but only by KO and he would have to literally chase Ali down and it would have to happen between rounds 1-3... I'm not saying that Ali would have to run b/c he can brawl as good as anybody, but to do that with Tyson is asking for a L, i think Cassius would be fool enough to play that game with Tyson but not Prime Ali....
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Why is this in the powder room, shouldn't this topic be in the cheapseats lol?

Anyway to answer your question: It depends, your hypothetical is kind of vague in a sense that it doesn't address a few crucial variables that could influence the outcome.

Like are you literally plucking 1960s/mid70s prime Ali and 1980s/mid90s prime Tyson from their respective eras, inserting them in a ring and instantly starting the match?

If that's the case, although Ali is indeed the best boxer of all time, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tyson knocked him out due to the unfair disparity in nutritional knowledge and muscle mass that exists between their time periods. Tyson came up in the era when the modern advancements in science today started to blow up. Add that to the fact Tyson was a freakish physical phenomenon even by modern era standards, so I’d imagine his physicality would appear machine-like on film if a young Cassius Clay in the early 1960s were hypothetically to watch his tape to scout him.

In general when people compare athletes from different time periods to one another, people usually don't recognize or understate the difference in science (e.g. molecular biology and bioenergetics) and technology that exists.

With all of that said, if in your hypothetical you allowed both to grow up and physically condition themselves in the same era. Ali would edge him out. Ali in his prime was the superior boxer and had the mental advantage as well. While it probably wouldn’t be a knock out (unlike Tyson, Ali didn’t possess otherworldly KO power) it would be a clear and decisive victory by way of flawless Ali execution and footwork. There’s a likely chance later in the rounds that Ali would start talking and jeering at him after every other punch, just to prove a point and make Tyson mentally acknowledge his superiority.

For the record, if Ali was able to experience what the Klitschko brothers and all current boxers benefit from (the privilege of modern biomedical technology) he’d flat out wash the Klitschko brothers and every other boxer in the current lackluster heavyweight division.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Height advantage. Reach advantage. It's not even close
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only seen this thread 100 times..

Tyson has fist too.. he is the most dangerous puncher in the history of boxing
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson
    Hmmm let me put it like this Ali likes to move his head a lot and taunt his opponent like Anderson Silva did and we know what happen to him....if Ali slips up one time and Tyson gets his fist on ali's chin it might be lights out for Ali
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson
    He's Alexander
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Ali
    Cain wrote: »
    Powder Room thread?

Back in the CheapSeats.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Ali
    I like Tyson more but Ali gets this. I rather see Lennox Lewis vs Ali.
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    I thought this got locked
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    I hate Vs. threads, but...

once Ali survives the initial onslought from Tyson, Its a wrap.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Lennox lewis and buster gave tyson hell cause they both had reach and could jab......Ali would've worked tyson bruh.
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Ali

George Foreman man...ali fought him in his prime and it was said by boxers who faced him that he(foreman) was the hardest puncher they ever fought....ali ko'd him, knocked him out! Tyson had strong hands i just never recall him beating anybody, he made alot of regular boxers look bad.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    Ali
    Tyson said it himself on Thisis50.com, so yeah Ali.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Ali
    Mike is my favorite boxer and the reason I started watching it....and I still say Ali would out-box him and wear him down.

Now if it came to a slugfest, Mike would knock the shuffle out that dude, but Ali would just out-smart Mike.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Tyson
    This needs to be moved to the powder room
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.Taylor wrote: »

George Foreman man...ali fought him in his prime and it was said by boxers who faced him that he(foreman) was the hardest puncher they ever fought....ali ko'd him, knocked him out! Tyson had strong hands i just never recall him beating anybody, he made alot of regular boxers look bad.

Tyson was not only more accurat, and faster every punch in hus arsenalcould knock you out and he threw combos, like aid most dangerous
  • Chef_Taylor
    Options
    Ali
    Foreman ko'ing dudes with a single jab shot.Any of his punches would put you to sleep it didnt matter if he threw combos.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Now that i think about it since Foreman has been brought up, i think Tyson could (i put emphasis on "could") beat Ali 1 out of 3 fights since he's often compared to Frazier b/c of their similar size and peek a boo stance but Foreman vs Tyson I'm taking Foreman every time since it will probly be a repeat of Foreman vs Frazier
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali was Not in his prime when he fought Foreman
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Didn't even Tyson say he would not fight Foreman called him a wolf in sheep clothing and told Don King to go fight him if he wanted the match so bad. This was when Foreman was old too, but was still knocking ? out
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Tyson
    Trashboat wrote: »
    He's Alexander

Ali can't win
    He's no Alexander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSwPnsTFY4
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Ali

I hate when people say the bold. It's not like Tyson was out there fighting a bunch of bums. Sure they threw some cans in there to build his rep, but that's done with every boxer. Go check out the records of the people he beat though. Most of them were pretty cleanly on the winning side with decent amounts of pro fights under their belts. In pretty much all of his fights up til he became champion, he was the inexperienced and untested fighter in the ring.

And even if they were cans, he made them look like cans. There are a lot of great fighters out there who have been seriously tested by "regular boxers." Hell, Prime Ali got put on his ass by a ? . That was the inspiration for Rocky.

Lennox lewis and buster gave tyson hell cause they both had reach and could jab......Ali would've worked tyson bruh.

Come on son. The fight is about Tyson in his prime. How you going to bring up Lennox Lewis. Tyson wasn't even a tenth of the fighter he was by that time. Hell even with Buster, he was far from his prime. Dude wasn't even training. He basically freestyled that fight.

This is hard to say. I guess I'd give it to Ali though. Ali fought Frazier and Foreman so he'd at least have some idea of how to beat Tyson. James Tillis was the closest thing to Ali that Tyson ever fought, and he was one of the few people that Tyson couldn't KO.