Wicca....and what you may or may not know about it.

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in The Social Lounge
In learning all about various other "religions", I been doing a little reading on the Wiccan religion and found some interesting things about it:

The 13 principles of Wiccan belief:

1) We practice rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces marked by the phases of the Moon and the seasonal Quarters and Cross Quarters.

2) We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility toward our environment. We seek to live in harmony with nature in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an evolutionary concept.

3) We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than that apparent to the average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary it is sometimes called ‘supernatural’, but we see it as lying within that which is naturally potential to all.

4) We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifesting through polarity – as masculine and feminine – and that this same Creative Power lies in all people and functions through the interaction of the masculine and the feminine. We value neither above the other knowing each to be supportive of the other. We value sex as pleasure as the symbol and embodiment of life, and as one of the sources of energy used in magical practice and religious worship.

5) We recognize both outer worlds and inner, or psychological worlds sometimes known as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconsciousness, the Inner Planes etc – and we see in the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal phenomena and magical exercises. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for our fulfillment.

6) We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in leadership.

7) We see religion, magick and wisdom in living as being united in the way one views the world and lives within it – a world view and philosophy of life which we identify as Witchcraft – the Wiccan Way.

8) Calling oneself ‘Witch’ does not make a Witch – but neither does heredity itself, nor the collecting of titles, degrees and initiations. A Witch seek to control the forces within her/himself that make life possible in order to live wisely and without harm to others and in harmony with nature.

9) We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness giving meaning to the Universe we know and our personal role within it.

10) Our only animosity towards Christianity, or towards any other religion or philosophy of life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to be ‘the only way’ and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practice and belief.

11) As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of various aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.

12) We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship any entity known as ‘Satan’ or ‘the Devil’ as defined by Christian tradition. We do not seek power through the suffering of others, nor accept that personal benefit can be derived only by denial to another.

13) We believe that we should seek within Nature that which is contributory to our health and well-being.

Hmmm.....

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heathen soothsayer.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    I knew some Wiccans at my highschool and they were weird as hell.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is literally the most cohesive declaration of their beliefs I have yet to see. Most of it coincides with what I believe. Interesting.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yet another institution which values balance and self-discipline without limiting the human mind.

Better than Abraham's religions.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Do they believe in an afterlife? The Wiccans I came across at school were weird. Plus some were kinda antisocial.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »
    This is literally the most cohesive declaration of their beliefs I have yet to see. Most of it coincides with what I believe. Interesting.

Yeah mines too.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yet another institution which values balance and self-discipline without limiting the human mind.

Lie from heathen, didn't the Messiah read minds, didn't he cloaked himself to walk right pass an angry mob, didn't he changed the molecular structure from water and make it to wine, heal the sick and raise the dead and that ancient Hebrew science is being done by Black Yogi Dravidian today.

Didn't the Nazarene followers did the same feats also, didn't the Messiah said you can do the same also.

So why your wicked mouth bearing false witness
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Heathen soothsayer.

The heathen loves wickedness
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Do they believe in an afterlife? The Wiccans I came across at school were weird. Plus some were kinda antisocial.

Those are the type who do it as a hobby or fade then there are those who do it as a lifestyle who are usually easy to talk to.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options

Those are the type who do it as a hobby or fade then there are those who do it as a lifestyle who are usually easy to talk to.

Oh okay, so no wonder they were weird as hell. Because they weren't true Wiccans. Also, what's the difference with doing it as a hobby and lifestyle? Plus I use to kinda be afraid of them because they can do magic and ? .
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Oh okay, so no wonder they were weird as hell. Because they weren't true Wiccans. Also, what's the difference with doing it as a hobby and lifestyle? Plus I use to kinda be afraid of them because they can do magic and ? .

Real ones simply respect life and balance. Pretty much tree huggers in simpler terms
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options

Real ones simply respect life and balance. Pretty much tree huggers in simpler terms

Okay
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    advantage of Abrahamic faiths over Wicca: adherents are not 95% teenagers who want attention

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Umm if you don't believe the Abrahamic religions believe in self-discipline, then you know absolutely nothing about the Abrahamic religions.

Not only that but the spreading of knowledge was one of the major tenants of Islam. If not for Islam, there may not have been a Renaissance in Europe and a lot of the knowledge that had been developed in Ancient times would have been lost.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Umm if you don't believe the Abrahamic religions believe in self-discipline, then you know absolutely nothing about the Abrahamic religions.

Not only that but the spreading of knowledge was one of the major tenants of Islam. If not for Islam, there may not have been a Renaissance in Europe and a lot of the knowledge that had been developed in Ancient times would have been lost.

But it was Abraham religion primarily early christians that destroyed much of the knowledge in the first place.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Co-sign like a ? . The Abrahamic religions are very barbaric in comparison.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    advantage of Abrahamic faiths over Wicca: adherents are not 95% teenagers who want attention

LOL damn this has me laughing for some reason...I knew some Irish kids who were into it, they did seem kind of odd
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My mom wanted to be a wiccan soooo bad.

Side note dope post, didn't know that much about them
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Heathen soothsayer.

What's wicked about being a heathen? Aren't there many good heathens or non religious people out there, if not most?
  • The_Jackal
    Options

But it was Abraham religion primarily early christians that destroyed much of the knowledge in the first place.

How many times is this lie going to be used. It was a Christian King who started to bring the world out of the dark age. Charlemagne the Great
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Heathen soothsayer.

What's wicked about being a heathen? Aren't there many good heathens or non religious people out there, if not most?

Not in how were using it in this context to refer to those who specifically are soothsayers.

• Ajackson17
    Options

How many times is this lie going to be used. It was a Christian King who started to bring the world out of the dark age. Charlemagne the Great

http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secrethistory/hypatia.html

Got to take in the good and the bad. Charlemagne did that in Europe using the knowledge of the moors and presenting them as Christian. So no he didn't. It was North AND West African knowledge that brought Europe out of darkness.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secrethistory/hypatia.html

Got to take in the good and the bad. Charlemagne did that in Europe using the knowledge of the moors and presenting them as Christian. So no he didn't. It was North AND West African knowledge that brought Europe out of darkness.

What I meant was that if not for him seeing how important knowledge was and especially the ability to read we would have had the modern school system that we have today. I'm not debating on where he got the knowledge just that he was responsible for the widespread share of it and the emphasis that knowing how to read and write was important
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    And my original point remains that most people don't even know it was the goths who were responsible for the dark ages. Most ChristI ans lived isolated in monasteries at the time
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a difference between something that Christians did and something that is supported by the Christian faith. There is nothing in the Bible that supports destroying scientific knowledge. So those Christians weren't acting according to the religious principles. They were acting according to their own desires to maintain power and deny the accomplisments of others. That is a result from bad human behavior not anything intrinisically tied to Christianity as a belief system.