Children taking their mothers last name instead of the fathers.

Options
The_Man
The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just found out a good friend of mine has not passed his last name down to his children, even tho he has been their to support them, to be honest I have lost some respect for him, whats your opinion on this? any man that lets a women do this ? needs to grow some ? .

Comments

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why wasn't his last name passed down?

Why should a man's name be automatically passed down? Why the entitlement?

What is the relationship like in they one you are referring to?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Geez Louise...

Let that man pass down his last name.

Unless her name is Vanderbilt, then he can keep his ? .
  • The_Man
    Options
    LPast wrote: »

1. I am not sure why

2. I was raised with the understanding that kids take the dads last name, I am from the uk don't know if it's just a uk thing?

3. their relationship can get messy I have seen her punch him in the face, this is not just about him tho, for example a women on my facebook was a single mother of 2, they both had her last name, she had another baby recently with a guy who has stook around and still the new kid has her last name, this guy must be a ? .

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    This thread is going to set forth a parade of paragraphs.
    me first

wow.

my son has my last name but my daughter doesnt.

my ? has nothing to do with it .

simply because my ? showed its mettle when i took full custody of my daughter from her mother something alot of men dont do, because they dont have the ? to stand up to the mother. but at least the child has they last name. i guess thats what real men do.

but you do realize the last name will change when she grows up and gets married. so that didnt matter to me. what mattered got dealt with.

so who lost and who has ? ?

• MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My sister did this but I guess it doesn't really matter since it's a daughter.
  • englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your boy is being domestically abused and you come to the IC to slander him lol, you ain't ? bud.

Tell that man to get proof of him being beaten and ? that will stand up in court and tell him to fight for custody of the kids, because a relationship like that? gunna have a huge impact on the kids lifes and continue the cycle of children being raised in homes they should never be in in the first place which will lead to issues at some point in life.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    me first

wow.

simply because my ? showed its mettle when i took full custody of my daughter from her mother something alot of men dont do, because they dont have the ? to stand up to the mother. but at least the child has they last name. i guess thats what real men do.

but you do realize the last name will change when she grows up and gets married. so that didnt matter to me. what mattered got dealt with.

Why doesn't she have your last name?
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    me first

wow.

Why doesn't she have your last name?

to be honest that didnt matter. a womans last name can or will change.

she looked just like when she was born and the bloodtest seconded that.

it wasnt important to me. but it was more important for my son to have my last name.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have my mom last name bit my father was never in my life. So I'm glad for that
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My mom and dad were married I still have hers
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its an ego thing honestly.

I was adamant about my son having my last name. But honestly its about legacy. And my "legacy" begins with slavery. So as ive gotten older, I care less and just hope he grows up to be a better man than myself. Thats whats important to me.
  • FsK
    FsK Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Options

2. I was raised with the understanding that kids take the dads last name, I am from the uk don't know if it's just a uk thing?

Naa fam this is nothing to do with us. We ain't taking the blame for this one.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had a chance to take my pops last name later in life, but my moms last name is better and i have a deeper connection with her side of the clan.. He should have been there in the hospital to make sure ? went as planned.
  • The_Man
    Options
    I can understand taking the mothers name if the father is not around but if your in a relationship the kids should follow the dad, especially the boys.
    Your boy is being domestically abused and you come to the IC to slander him lol, you ain't ? bud.

Tell that man to get proof of him being beaten and ? that will stand up in court and tell him to fight for custody of the kids, because a relationship like that? gunna have a huge impact on the kids lifes and continue the cycle of children being raised in homes they should never be in in the first place which will lead to issues at some point in life.

I have told him to leave the ? but he never listens, I just leave him to get on with it now I have my own ? in life.

• englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can understand taking the mothers name if the father is not around but if your in a relationship the kids should follow the dad, especially the boys.

I have told him to leave the ? but he never listens, I just leave him to get on with it now I have my own ? in life.

Well, you done your part then, if he to dumb to listen, ? him.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No issue with this if mom is raining her kids 100% on her own. Of if the dude doesn't really care about his last name continuing on. That's really all the taking the last name ? is about.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lost respect for him ?
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol...my kids got my name, however I got my mothers name...but aint meet my dad till i was 14..so...shrugs