Video: “This Is Why White People Are So Healthy” – Poor Farmers Who Grow Cocoa Beans Taste Chocolat

Options
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is my birth and home country...I know a mad big ? involved in Cocoa trading... Feel bad for the workers in the field though
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't tell if they're being sarcastic at times or serious.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vanilla > chocolate.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These old ass ? , are making a few sents.yet without them, there wouldn't be a billion dollar choclate industry...

Yet they're too ignorant, to kno that.
    U Would tell em, to band together, kick up dust, and demand more for there work.
    yet theyll look at u crazy, and ask u, how'd they feed their families.
    U'd tell em, its only a few cents. while u do the same thing They do , for a few dollars.

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chocolate sucks
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to get their ass back to work or else
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe I don't understand the situation, but this is kinda their fault. They are basically putting in backbreaking work to produce a product and have no idea what that product is worth. The chocolate industry depends on them, so they have a lot of power potentially. They just aren't aware of it. The dude doing this video should be introducing them to some people that could help them improve their position instead of giving them chocolate bars.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    relax b white ppl aint that healthy
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »

They are, but it's because they can afford better medical care and higher quality food
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

They are, but it's because they can afford better medical care and higher quality food

how are they healthy with all the obesity, cancer and shooting sprees?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at the music at the end
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white people are weaker not healthier they have to Rob the whole world to attain their level of health but the African population is still healthier than they should be with less.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

Im not white so that's a generalization once again.
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    white people are weaker not healthier they have to Rob the whole world to attain their level of health but the African population is still healthier than they should be with less.

How do you know they're healthy? Are you their doctor? Have you seen their health records?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imagine Africa if they benefited from their own natural resources
    Esp. Sierra Leone
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should do one of these where they get Peruvian coca farmers to try high-grade ? for the first time. That ? would be hilarious.

Also - I get the feeling this is either staged or those guys are just ? with him.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around this ? . I thought video was bull so I looked up the process for making chocolate yourself and without some kind of grinder it would seem really labor intensive. I cant believe these dudes some who look to be at least 50 have never tasted chocolate. Its ? up they realize the fruits of resources from their own land.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around this ? . I thought video was bull so I looked up the process for making chocolate yourself and without some kind of grinder it would seem really labor intensive. I cant believe these dudes some who look to be at least 50 have never tasted chocolate. Its ? up they realize the fruits of resources from their own land.

It shouldn't be all that surprising. A lot of that goes on really. For example, a lot of the minerals necessary to make cell phones and other modern tech is mined in places in Central Africa where virtually no one has cell phones.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well thats very kind of them to say.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    ? dont realize we live in a different world than most.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dont realize we live in a different world than most.

We take a lot for granted.

As with chocolate, that cup of coffee has a price as well.

"Farmworkers commonly face unsafe working conditions in coffee fields. For example, not having the right protection equipment for work is very common, especially outside of Brazil. Having to bring your own rain boots, improvised ponchos (using plastic bags), and even your own machetes is very common. In coffee fields where you can find snakes, spiders or fire ants in many places, not having the right equipment can be a tremendous hazard for workers. In addition, not having the adequate training and protection when applying pesticides is a major challenge for farmworkers.

In many countries, workers do not have a signed contract they can use to make sure they receive the right payment for their labor. This leaves the door open to employers to take advantage of workers. Low wages are also a big problem in many countries. During the harvest, coffee pickers get paid for how much coffee they pick. Coffee pickers can make as little as 2-3 dollars per day in places such as Nicaragua (even though the minimum wage is, in theory, close to US$6)"

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2014/04/30/farmworkers-the-coffee-industrys-ethical-blight-and-a-pr-disaster-in-waiting/

Support Fair Trade
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Some of this ? just boils down to the ignorance of the people being exploited. They don't know how valuable what they are producing actually is, so they don't know how to set a fair price for themselves. Again, instead of feeding these people chocolate, dude should have brought some agriculture and financial experts with him and sat down with them to help them figure out how they could increase their profits without pricing themselves out of the market.