Through The Past Darkly: The Marshall Mathers LP

Options
Kellmill
Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's about that time again where The Reason overdoses on Lil Wayne/Young Money talk, so here's a long ass, in depth article about The Marshall Mathers LP that I wrote for AHH. I know Eminem talk is just as bad as Young Money talk sometimes but whatever. It's long as hell so it's perfectly fine if you don't ? with it. If you do, I'd like to know your thoughts not just about the article but MMLP in general. Born in 89 this album was a big deal and really changed a lot of things, I don't know if older heads quite understand. But anyways...

http://allhiphop.com/2014/08/03/through-the-pa…all-mathers-lp

Comments

• SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope ? . I thought you'd go more in depth on "Kim." That was some other level ? . It really blurred the line between reality and music.

Cosign Drug Ballad being one of the best songs.

I still prefer SSLP but I think his first three albums are classics.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Its only like 5 rappers that exist on the IC.

"Yo we been talking about jigga too long.. There are thousands of rappers to choose from...how about pac?"
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Kellmill wrote: »
    It's about that time again where The Reason overdoses on Lil Wayne/Young Money talk, so here's a long ass, in depth article about The Marshall Mathers LP that I wrote for AHH. I know Eminem talk is just as bad as Young Money talk sometimes but whatever. It's long as hell so it's perfectly fine if you don't ? with it. If you do, I'd like to know your thoughts not just about the article but MMLP in general. Born in 89 this album was a big deal and really changed a lot of things, I don't know if older heads quite understand. But anyways...

http://allhiphop.com/2014/08/03/through-the-pa…all-mathers-lp

I read the first half of the review. You say you were born in 89 so you were 10 or 11 when this album came out. I wholeheartedly believe that this album impacted you at the time.

However, I was born in 1973 and I was 25/26 when the MMLP came out. The impact it had on me was probably the reverse that it had on you. when I was 10/11 years old I was bumping Run DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys and LL Cool J....and Thriller and Purple Rain.

But it's all good, you're from one generation and you have your generation defining albums. I have mine. I think the albums that impacted me the most when I was coming up were The Wildstyle Soundtrack, Radio, Criminal Minded, Paid in Full, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us back, TonThe East Blackwards, All For One, Low End Theory.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How much did AHH pay you?
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They said I'm welcome to whatever was in Birdman's bushes
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was in 5th grade wen it came out. It most definetly changed the game.
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Not as good as Slim Shady LP, but good.
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MMLP is one of my favorite and most played LP's of all time.
    Em showed a level of lyrical dexterity on that LP that doesn't come along that often exept on other classics like OB4CL, Nas' first 2 LP's etc.

The production accompanied him peferctly through out the LP. Mark the 45 King produced Stan'. The videos were monumental as well. Even AZ's Fan Mail is influenced to a small degree by his usage of the letter writing narrative and sound effects (crumpled paper) Em uses (pencil sound effects) through out the beat. And Nas' 'One Love' on Illmatic used the letter writing theme in a different way before all the them.

He may be the first White rapper in history to discuss on record the notion of White Priveledge in music. fast forward Iggy Azzalea.

You think of my name now whenever you say, "Hi"
    Became a commodity because I'm W-H-I-T-E,
    'Cause M-T-V was so friendly to me
    Can't wait 'til Kim sees me
    'I'm Back'
    His open admission of this on song and in interview really sold him as an artist to me.

Also he gave perspective on national tragedies that affected White America like the Colombine School Shooting
    which was borderline prophetic- fast forward today there has been over 74 school shootings since Sandy Hook.
    http://jezebel.com/there-have-been-74-school-shootings-in-the-u-s-since-s-1588920295

Also he witingly and convincingly defended Hip Hop against the age old 'bad influence on the youth' arguement with " The Way I Am"

Long story short I seriously doubt and question anyone who calls their self a Hip Hop listener or fan and who has never heard this album in full.
    It's just that important a body of work, just on Em's lyrical showmanship alone on the LP.
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sidenote
    Also I wonder if people use the Fill in the blank rappper's_______ first album _______was better than________(second album/widely accepted classic) argument just so they can sound smart about Hip Hop or just to be contrarian.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i heard drug ballad on a screw tape, "screwed up texas" to be exact, ? sound so much better screwed

but i seriously doubt eminem is the first person to say "im on one" in a song

and i always thought remember me was a great track, ? was gangsta as ?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    "Sit down ? , you move again I'll beat the ? out of you"
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the first week this album came out was like nothing i'd experienced before as a hip hop listener.

even over here people wouldn't shut the ? up about it.it created a whole generation of little wiggas who then went onto dre,snoop etc, they became addicts off that album.

then they did the up in smoke tour which was monumental.
  • Iceberg Slick
    Iceberg Slick Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    trash. eminem's best song had nate dogg on the hook and he made that song.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole album was on a another level, Criminal was insane
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @djpre-k
    Em prolly most def not the first 2 use "I'm On One" but the masses heard it and prolly just ran with it idk. Always LOL when I heard Drake use it. Knowing Em was the 1st cat I hurd say it on a track
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stan n never knew I were my ? ..I went to a predominantly white high school n I witnessed 1st hand the effect em had on them white cats as far as turning them into rap fans...when that album dropped it was officially wigga season lol
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never sweated em like that..but he Def helped spread hip hop..as far as reaching middle america in a way dmx n jay couldnt at the time