What Do You Think Of This Theory?

Options
2»

Comments

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    My basic point is that Hip Hop has run its course just like Jazz, Blues and yes, Rock. There's no new ideas. The so-called underground scene even ran its course (Black Star anyone?)

If you look at all the YouTube links that are on page 1 of the IC you'll see very little variety. I can only imagine what 106 and Park is looking like nowadays.

You aint really comin off as an ? or nothin. You just seem frustrated. To me, its plenty of songs i like out now. Its always been that way. I focus on what i like. Havent watched 106 and park in years. But i do listen to the radio. Mainly because i drive. But if there is no hip hop or rap out now you are feelin then yeah, listen to what you do like. The "mainstream" is gon be the "mainstream". Leave it alone if you dont enjoy it. I definitely dont go by opinions on here for things to listen to. This place is more like entertainment, an alternate realm.

• Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @5Grand you might have more threads than posts
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My basic point is that Hip Hop has run its course just like Jazz, Blues and yes, Rock. There's no new ideas. The so-called underground scene even ran its course (Black Star anyone?)

If you look at all the YouTube links that are on page 1 of the IC you'll see very little variety. I can only imagine what 106 and Park is looking like nowadays.

Negroe stop trollin
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Being considered a Lyricist is seemingly detremental to most artists, fans ? on them just because they take effort in their craft.

i dont understand why people think this, this not necessarily the case, if anything, whats detrimental for some lyricists is that they only halfway take effort in their craft, meaning they may take pride in the words, but not the entire construction of the song.
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ain't tired of this ? 's Grandpa Troll threads yet?

Ether
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mainstream hiphop lacks variety but other than that there is lots of variety in the mixtape scene. If you can't find it you're probably looking in the wrong places.

We're in a low attention span era = ? lyrics I need something catchy that everyone can sing along to
    Everybody thinks they're a celebrity thanks to the Internet and social media = rapper blew up off one line on a wack song? I can do it too syndrome
    Reality shows keep broadcasting talentless acts on TV = talent is no longer a requirement to be famous

All of the above and more is why mainstream is flooded with the same generic ? but it accurately reflects our society.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you are spot on with the 80s rock comparison...

Rock & Roll pioneers/singles were thriving in the 50s, and the 60s saw tons of innovation and creativity, by the 70s albums and comprehensive projects became the main focus of the consumer market, but as we rolled into the 80s however mainstream rock and music in general became extremely over produced, self indulgent, stadium rockish and glammy

Although the 80s saw the evolution of the punk and metal scenes that would eventually influence the alternative surge that stalled the bubble gum of the late 80s, overall, the charts were full of porcelain one hit wonders and pop shot anthems.

Hip hop and music in general is currently at this state, very overproduced, shiny, inherently commercial and lacking individuality...

Only difference is even the rebels today are caricatures or "commercials" if you will of the lifestyles or retro music they are emulating. There is no scene that is refreshing and new, the outsiders just rehash old concepts and essentially copy them without much elaboration.

Perhaps its the ease of data retrieval that fails our generation when it comes to inspiration not leading to outright mimicry, but when these younger acts are influenced, it is often easy to tell exactly what/who it was by...

Hip hop needs a refreshing take on minimalism... Kanye may have not executed with Yeezus, but I definitely see what he was going for. At this point, hip hop is so revealing (due to its lyrical nature) it is almost embarrassing, corny and predictable at every turn, even the positive stuff.

Time to break the formula
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? changes man..I'll put it in this perspective..in the 90's i'm pretty sure alot of the old heads that grew up on hip hop in the late 70's/80's were complaining about how the game has changed for the worst and how 2pac,Nas,Cube,Snoop,Biggie,etc. weren't doing it the right way..some of the old heads prolly even called them trash just like we call a lot of these newer acts trash...it just comes with Hip Hop being the long term success and it being able to stretch generations deep..20 years from now ? gone be talking about How great alot of these acts today were,they'll get put on A pedestal that other all time greats do,and they'll talk about how the current artists can't compare to that..it's Just apart of the game man..accept it