New York: Bank Didn't Lend To Blacks In Buffalo

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in The Social Lounge
redlining.jpg#Red%20lining%20600x375

Redlining.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- A bank refused to offer mortgages to African-Americans living in Buffalo, New York's attorney general said in a lawsuit that he said was part of a wider investigation into an illegal practice known as redlining.

Evans Bank violated fair housing and discrimination laws by intentionally denying services and products to Buffalo's east side, home to more than 75 percent of the city's African-American population, the federal lawsuit alleges.

The bank's president, David Nasca, called the accusations "meritless." He said Evans, which has 13 branches in western New York, will vigorously defend itself.

"We remain confident that our residential lending practices meet all applicable laws and regulations," Nasca said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press.

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman's lawsuit alleges that Evans used a map to define its lending area that excluded the city's east side. The company is also accused of refusing to market its loan products or locate its branches in the area.

Schneiderman said the lawsuit is part of a wider investigation by his office into redlining, in which a lender denies access to mortgages or charges more in certain neighborhoods based on race.

"Redlining is illegal and it's discriminatory - and must, once and for all, be made a thing of the past," Schneiderman said. "It is crucial that all New Yorkers, regardless of the color of their skin or the racial composition of their neighborhood, be afforded an equal opportunity to obtain credit."

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This was normal practice at one time, and the difficulty that blacks had in securing mortgages explains a large part of the wealth gap today (which is much bigger than the income gap). It was supported by the federal government for decades. So is the claim that the bank continued to discriminate even after the gov. stopped supporting it? If not, then a lot of other banks could be sued.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ever been to buffalo?

its like they all grew up near a nuclear plant.

the racismis blatant and in your face.

i went there one christmas and they ha white folk over...they looked at the greens and mac and cheese and said they would like american food.

yep...american food
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was normal practice at one time, and the difficulty that blacks had in securing mortgages explains a large part of the wealth gap today (which is much bigger than the income gap). It was supported by the federal government for decades. So is the claim that the bank continued to discriminate even after the gov. stopped supporting it? If not, then a lot of other banks could be sued.

Really shocked that this post was made by the person it was
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    ever been to buffalo?

i went there one christmas and they ha white folk over...they looked at the greens and mac and cheese and said they would like american food.

yep...american food

Born and raised in Buffalo and I've never experienced any blatant racism like that, but I know it's here just like everywhere else in this country
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ever been to buffalo?

yep...american food

I would have booted them crackas out in the snow. Thats some ?
  • Viktor
    Viktor Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Options
    Grown and sexy is so one dimensional. You ? keep chasing off interesting posters with your daily talks of racial ? .

Is there nothing more to life?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

Really? Then you haven't been paying attention. I keep dropping knowledge, and nothing about my posts suggests that I am a conservative.

Do I think Justin Beiber is a racist? No. Do I think blacks can be racist? Yes. Do I think interracial marriages can be OK in some cases? Yes. Do I think that, generally speaking, black women are more into a man's wallet than white women? Yes.

But none of that ? makes me a conservative or someone who downplays racism.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I keep dropping knowledge,

1405890449975.gif
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Really? Then you haven't been paying attention. I keep dropping knowledge, and nothing about my posts suggests that I am a conservative.

Do I think Justin Beiber is a racist? No. Do I think blacks can be racist? Yes. Do I think interracial marriages can be OK in some cases? Yes. Do I think that, generally speaking, black women are more into a man's wallet than white women? Yes.

Yet another terrible post from you. I never said I thought u were a conservative

I think you're a pseudo-intellectual troll and I'm also pretty sure that you aren't black. This is what I think about when I read your terrible posts
  • A Talented One
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yet another terrible post from you. I never said I thought u were a conservative

I think you're a pseudo-intellectual troll and I'm also pretty sure that you aren't black. This is what I think about when I read your terrible posts

Let's be real here. You wouldn't know what a real intellectual sounds like.

I have been dropping pertinent books and articles for a large number of issues. And in my Black intellectuals thread I dropped a long list of black intellectuals, none of whom I had to search. I hate when dumb negros think that if you won't write in slang, say '? ' or you think for yourself then you can't be black. After all, besides these reasons why would anyone think I'm not black given my posts?

Oh yeah, and not only am I black, but I almost certainly am blacker than you.

11aa24n.jpg
  • A Talented One
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Watch some dumb ? suggest that I can't prove that it is I whose hand that is.

Like I always seem to have a black friend around to borrow his hand when these idiots say that I'm not black. http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/512318/how-yall-got-some-of-these-non-blacks-saying-? -on-the-ic-with-impunity/p2

And it is always the same friend too since it's the same hand.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when dumb negros think that if you won't write in slang, say '? ' or you think for yourself then you can't be black.
    Who suggested any of these things?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    I hate when dumb negros think that if you won't write in slang, say '? ' or you think for yourself then you can't be black.
    Who suggested any of these things?

Nobody said that, but that is my considered conclusion. What other reason could there be? I mean if you look at my posts you could not reasonably get the impression that I am anything else but a black man, setting these dumb reasons aside.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    ever been to buffalo?

yep...american food

Born and raised in Buffalo and I've never experienced any blatant racism like that, but I know it's here just like everywhere else in this country

lets see thread title is one..

second ...when you are born in that type of environment you dont know what is in your face unless someone from the outside points it out.

you never see the problem when your inside the problem
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But but racism is only in the south , stupid fool ? are only for African americans.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? wrote in print and cursive at the same time.

Indecisive-ass ? .
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    11aa24n.jpg

That ? got some ashy fingers.

keri-body-lotion.jpg

You're welcome.........

.....? .
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's crazy is they probably let Blacks get loans for cars and other stuff quickly but denied us loans for homes and property.

There is a correlation to this.

Land and property will be there forever moveables like vehicles and such depreciate over time.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ever been to buffalo?

yep...american food

A plate of Hot dog ,a hamburger ,with beer for christmas dinner???
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    ever been to buffalo?

yep...american food

A plate of Hot dog ,a hamburger ,with beer for christmas dinner???

im not sure what they wanted to eat but the only the chick i was with and me said something about it...no one else felt the need to say anything.

to say you dont see racism in buffalo is crazy...you must really be blind or stay in a majority of your own type hood, which is kinda impossible since they all look down trodden.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at what this thread has become... Smh
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    ever been to buffalo?

yep...american food

Depends on where u grow up, if u in the good ain't no racist whites around to hear racist ? , if you in the burbs yea it's really racist
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options