unemployment ext up for vote today

Options
elliott_argon
elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Social Lounge
(CNN) -- The Senate is set to consider a bill Tuesday that would extend the deadline to file for unemployment benefits through the end of November.

Senate GOP leaders have blocked a vote several times, highlighting deficit concerns by arguing that any benefits extension should be offset by spending cuts.

Democrats are counting on the seating Tuesday of the replacement for Sen. Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia to break the logjam.

Byrd passed away last month.
Video: Will extention pass?

The bill would cost $33 billion in additional deficit spending, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

On Monday, President Barack Obama tore into congressional Republicans, arguing that a "partisan minority" had allowed short-term political calculations to trump genuine economic need.

The Republicans are guided by a "misguided notion" that a new relief bill would discourage people from looking for work, the president said at the White House.

"That attitude reflects a lack of faith in the American people," he said. The unemployed "aren't looking for a handout. They desperately want to work."

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, immediately fired back, releasing a statement slamming Obama for fiscal irresponsibility.

"The president knows that Republicans support extending unemployment insurance, and doing it in a fiscally responsible way by cutting spending elsewhere in the $3 trillion federal budget. At a time of record debt and deficits made worse by Washington Democrats' massive spending spree, that's the right thing to do and the right way to do it. The American people are asking 'where are the jobs?' and President Obama continues to offer only disingenuous attacks, not answers."

More than a million Americans are estimated to have exhausted the unemployment benefits lifeline since the deadline expired in June.

The U.S. unemployment rate stood at 9.5 percent as of June. The jobless rate has averaged 9.7 percent over the first half of the year, and many economists expect it to remain elevated into 2011.

Seventy-eight percent of Americans still believe the U.S. economy is in a recession, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released last month.

Forty-one percent believe Republicans are more responsible for the nation's current economic problems, while 28 percent blame the Democrats.

Twenty-six percent blame both political parties.

with unemployment rates so high, i can't see why they wouldn't pass this. how much money do we send to other countries as aid? i would think one would clean their own home before cleaning someone elses

Comments

• independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lot of finger pointing...

well, if all goes well.. most cats i know will still be in the streets for an additional 6 months..
    dont rush.. get it while you got it..
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Hope it doesn't pass unless the Democrats decrease their massive budget that sending the deficit thru the roof
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited July 2010
    Options
    They voted today and it got passed.
  • BethlehemBill
    BethlehemBill Members Posts: 140
    edited July 2010
    Options
    a lot of political grandstanding and posturing, but 33 billion isn't a lot compared to how much we're already in the hole
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited July 2010
    Options
    a lot of political grandstanding and posturing, but 33 billion isn't a lot compared to how much we're already in the hole

That 33 billion could have made a bigger impact somewhere else though. There are a lot of neighborhoods where federal funded temp jobs could have been put into place that would give people work to clean up things for a while rather then pay them to sit on their ass.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Spending billions in afghanistan and iraq, with no visible benefit for the american people. Yet you'll deny the same people, who give you the billions, in their time of need. Smh
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    With the money I have saved from unemployment I can now go into business for myself... Would have never been able to do this with a full time job...
    That 33 billion could have made a bigger impact somewhere else though. There are a lot of neighborhoods where federal funded temp jobs could have been put into place that would give people work to clean up things for a while rather then pay them to sit on their ass.

I make more off unemployment than these jobs could pay... And everyone on unemployment does not sit on their ass sir'.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited July 2010
    Options
    With the money I have saved from unemployment I can now go into business for myself... Would have never been able to do this with a full time job...

I make more off unemployment than these jobs could pay... And everyone on unemployment does not sit on their ass sir'.

Not serious post, you make a fraction on unemployment compared to what you were paid on a full time job, get the ? out of here.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Not serious post, you make a fraction on unemployment compared to what you were paid on a full time job, get the ? out of here.

Just in case you didn't know the "fraction" is 1/2 or 50%... I made around 3600 a month. I was not rich but it beats a temp job buddy. Now you show me a temp job that brings in $450 a week and I'll join your anti-unemployment side... YOU>"get the ? out of here" haha.. you mad
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Recession is over.

sike.

median%20longterm%20unemployment.png

The median duration of unemployment is higher today than any time in the last 50 years. That’s an understatement. It is more than twice as high today than any time in the last 50 years.