The Godfather: Did Vito Corleone Bytch Up?

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of the most captivating moments in movie history.

-I heard crying, saw a lot of cars coming to the house
-I was abiut to come and wake you
-But you needed a drink first. Now you had your drink
-They shot Sunny on the causeway. He's dead

Still gives me chills. Pivotal moment. What does Vito do?!?!

'I want to schedule a meeting with the heads of the 5 families. I want no inquiries made. No acts of vengeance. This war stops now.'

WHAT!?!?! Speak on it.

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe old age? Karma? For his past deeds caught up with him?

Anyway Mike (Pacino) revenged on behalf of the family ... .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's his job as the Boss and leader of the Family to make executive decisions and he made a pretty solid decision.

-Someone tried to ? him
    -Someone successfully killed Sonny (his intended heir)

All he had left was Fredo (who is incompetent) and Michael (who everyone thought was a cupcake), so he made the decision to back away while he still has power instead of going to war, risk getting himself killed and not having a backup plan.

Notice that after the decision is when Vito starts tutoring Michael in the ways of family business? Michael wasn't supposed to be involved at all with that, he was protected from it and he needed a crash course in waging war and handling mob work before he could take over.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Side note)
    I just saw part3 a few weeks ago. What a ? .

Til this day I still haven't came watched part 3
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Michael got revenge for the family. It was planned from the beginning. At the time,The Tattaglia family was thought to have been involved, as it was logically revenge for Bruno Tattaglia. The Don had to call a peace cause that war wasn't ending anytime soon without it. It was at that meeting when Don found out it was Barzini all along. That's when Michael's revenge plan came into fruition.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He knew he was guna hit them the way they did. He called for peace at the time so he could bring mike back to the u.s. With no harm. He also held the meet so he would kno who betrayed him. So the prace was a front just to give them time.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerKing wrote: »
    Michael got revenge for the family. It was planned from the beginning. At the time,The Tattaglia family was thought to have been involved, as it was logically revenge for Bruno Tattaglia. The Don had to call a peace cause that war wasn't ending anytime soon without it. It was at that meeting when Don found out it was Barzini all along. That's when Michael's revenge plan came into fruition.

That's the one thing I don't understand. How did he figure out that it was Barzini? I'm gonna need to read the book.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He made peace to bring Michael home since it was still a bounty on Mike's head. When Mike got home Vito taught him the game something he couldn't teach Fredo since he was stupid.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mike's first wife Apollonia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kay.

yo after his wife got blown up on some wild e. coyote ?

that ? turned ice cold

I mean the attempt on his father, then killing solozzo, fleeing to Italy, then hearing about his brother Sonny getting killed and as he tries to leave his bodyguard betrays him and plants that bomb in his car and blows up his wife

(who looked far better than Kay, and on top of that, if he brought Apollonia back to the states with him, she would have understood the ways of the business his family was in and wouldn't have started acting all funny and ? like Kay did)

(in the book they ? the bodyguard turned traitor)

When Mike came back he had no love for no one except the fam
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Side note)

sorry u had to go thru that ? ?

hopefully u didnt drag anyone else into watching that abomination
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Side note)

That helicopter scene tho. ? looked like it belonged in a Rambo movie.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    JokerKing wrote: »

That's the one thing I don't understand. How did he figure out that it was Barzini? I'm gonna need to read the book.

As the Don himself puts it: "Tataglia's a ? . He could never have outfought Santino". Obviously the Don had little respect for Tataglia's abilities as a war time Don. It's also obvious that it was a thought that had bothered him for quite some time.

During the meeting, it was obvious that Don Barzini took a very keen interest in the peace negotiations. In fact, he took almost complete reins of negotiating with the Corleones for a settlement. None of the other families seemed bothered by this. These facts indicate that the other families had already agreed on giving Barzini the lead role.

Now given how weak Tataglia was, and how strong Barzini was, it's not far fetched to deduce who was the master and who was the puppet.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just reminded me how GOAT this movie is. After all this time it still holds up like it could've came out yesterday
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BarryHalls wrote: »
    (Side note)

That helicopter scene tho. ? looked like it belonged in a Rambo movie.

Joey Zasa was out cold for that ? .
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Never seen Godfather 1 or 2 lol
    How is that possible lol...2 of the greatest movies of all time
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goodfellas > Godfather IMO
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm gonna need to read the book.

Un-putdownable.

Read it in the late nineties in my late teens (15-16)

The film just about did justice to the book but of course couldn't cover the entirety of it

I also learned of the term 'omerta' from that book. ..

@Cain I suggest you read the book before watching the films (I'm surprised you haven't seen the films). Both part 1 and 2 are cinematic masterpieces ..
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great book and great movie.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always wondered if the guys that followed Sonny, and then had to tell Vito Sonny got murked, ended up getting killed themselves. The setup was so cold, it's very possible Vito could've thought they was in on it.
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I'm gonna need to read the book.

Un-putdownable.

Read it in the late nineties in my late teens (15-16)

The film just about did justice to the book but of course couldn't cover the entirety of it

I also learned of the term 'omerta' from that book. ..

@Cain I suggest you read the book before watching the films (I'm surprised you haven't seen the films). Both part 1 and 2 are cinematic masterpieces ..

Yeah its a great read..though its very simply written, I was expecting some sort of literary masterpiece due to the high esteem the films are held in..but yeah regardless, completely engrossing for sure and I appreciated the films even more after reading

• illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just reminded me how GOAT this movie is. After all this time it still holds up like it could've came out yesterday

If you think the movie is dope,
    you should read the book..
    its 100 times better and more descriptive..