Magazine Uses White Model For "African" Queen Photo Because Real Africans Disgusts Them

Options
Busta Carmichael
Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
edited September 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
Ondria-Harden-poses-in-black-face-for-Numero-Magazine.png

A French magazine has sparked controversy by booking a white model for an 'African Queen' fashion shoot - then heavily bronzing her face and body to make her appear black.

Numéro magazine chose to use blonde-haired, blue-eyed industry darling Ondria Hardin, 16, for the shoot - which features in the March issue - despite then making her up as a black model.

The editorial - shot by photographer Sebastian Kim - also sees Hardin dressed in 'traditional' prints, with make-up done by artist Maud Laceppe.

Critics have now slammed the magazine for using the North Carolina teenager, saying that if they wanted a black model they should have simply hired one.

"This is one of the most insulting things that I have ever seen, it makes me so mad I actually want to cry. I can’t believe magazines think that they can just dip a woman in brown paint, give her clothes from my culture to put on for a couple hours and then have audacity to call her an “African Queen”. Growing up I heard every joke about Africans and saw the negative stereotypes portrayed by the media that tried to make me feel so bad about where I come from. Yet Ive noticed when fashion magazine want to do spreads portraying poise and exoticness they often turn to Africa ( and many other foreign continents/nations) proving time and again that Africa is more than the negative images you see in the media) but this time, to try and take parts of my beautiful culture just to have white women play the role of an “African Queen” proves that beauty cannot be seen in our countries/cultures unless it is represented by White people"

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    As always there was an apology to save face. But people didn't buy it because it made no sense
    I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding around my recent photos for Numero France. It was never my intention (nor Numero's) to portray a black woman in this story. Our idea and concept for this fashion shoot was based on 60's characters of Talitha Getty, Verushka and Marissa Berenson with middle eastern and Moroccan fashion inspiration. We at no point attempted to portray an African women by painting her skin black. We wanted a tanned and golden skin to be showcased as part of the beauty aesthetic of this shoot.

It saddens me that people would interpret this as a mockery of race. I believe that the very unfortunate title "African Queen" (which I was not aware of prior to publication) did a lot to further people's misconceptions about these images. It was certainly never my intention to mock or offend anyone and I wholeheartedly apologize to anyone who was offended.

Sincerely,

Sebastian Kim

enhanced-buzz-27632-1362090649-8.jpg
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get why anyone that is black would be shocked or outraged by this. This par for the course for them. I guess more people are going to want us to protest and sing more songs about ? like this as if that helps us or makes them see their wrong.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had a comment, but i deleted that ? .
    This is white supremacy, at its finest, a bunch of confusing ass ? , that just dont make no sense. Like, what the ? ???

@ t/s what the ? is real blacks???
    I hope u know that this magazine is in france. all the majority of the black ppl there, are actual africans
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Here is the girl that posed for the mag

7ee2713697b0c938ebaee0e006f7937a.jpg

Lmao gtfoh

U mean to tell me you couldn't find ANY black models?

We all know the apology letter is ? but even if they were going for a Morroccan/ Middle Eastern theme why get some Middle Eastern women instead a pale faced white kid North Carolina. Feed the people more ? and TELL them to like it.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This disgust me.

I wonder how it would have went down if they titled it Afrikaan Queen
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Lmao gtfoh

We all know the apology letter is ? but even if they were going for a Morroccan/ Middle Eastern theme why get some Middle Eastern women instead a pale faced white kid North Carolina. Feed the people more ? and TELL them to like it.

The same reason they have pale ppl in egyptian movies, Living in the desert.
    Thats like polars bears living on beaches.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Lmao gtfoh

Damn I meant "why not get some Morrocaan/Middle Eastern women".
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Lmao gtfoh

The same reason they have pale ppl in egyptian movies, Living in the desert.
    Thats like polars bears living on beaches.

Exactly
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    White women invented corn rows, and now they're african queens.
    50 years from now, Tupac and Micheal Jordan are gonna be looking like white jesus.

Why wouldn't they be worshipped like him too. Black people read the bible Jesus is described as being bronze in color and having hair like lamb's wool but so many black people got a picture of white jesus in they house, car, phone and work computer. WTF!!!?
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 years from now, Tupac and Micheal Jordan are gonna be looking like white jesus.

Dont forget they invented twerking also, smh.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why wouldn't they be worshipped like him too. Black people read the bible Jesus is described as being bronze in color and having hair like lamb's wool but so many black people got a picture of white jesus in they house, car, phone and work computer. WTF!!!?

BOLDED IS A LIE.. NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY HIS HAIR IS LIKE LAMBS WOOL
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DRO_BANKS wrote: »

Not lamb's wool but white as wool in Revelations 1
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    DRO_BANKS wrote: »

Ok so it say just plain wool ohhh big ? difference there
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, this ? is more than a year old; And the backlash was met with some sideways, "I'm sorry that you're offended, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong or racist, but I'm sorry tho" type apology..