No Grand Jury indictments in the shooting of John Crawford III.. Update: Surveillance video added...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/09/24/no-indictments-after-police-shoot-and-? -man-at-an-ohio-wal-mart-justice-dept-launches-investigation/
No indictments after police shoot and ? man at an Ohio Wal-Mart; Justice Dept. launches investigation

A grand jury in Ohio decided Wednesday not to indict any police officers for the shooting of John Crawford III, who was killed by police at a Wal-Mart in the state last month. Meanwhile, the Justice Department announced Wednesday that it would conduct an independent civil rights review into Crawford’s death.

Crawford was killed at a Wal-Mart in Beavercreek, a suburb of Dayton. on Aug. 5. Police said that Crawford was killed after not listening to police orders to drop an air rifle, which can be used to fire pellets or BBs. In addition, someone called 911 and said Crawford was waving the air rifle at people.

However, attorneys for Crawford’s family said surveillance video showed that he was only holding the air rifle, not waving it around. And a man who called 911 told the Guardian earlier this month that Crawford never shouldered the rifle or pointed it at anyone, although he did say that Crawford was “waving it around.”

An undated photo of John Crawford III (right) with his mother, Tressa Sherrod. (Courtesy of Crawford’s family/via AP)
Last month, Mark E. Piepmeier, an attorney with the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney’s office, was appointed as a special prosecutor to investigate this shooting. Investigators conducted dozens of interviews, reviewed reams of documents and looked through video footage captured by cameras.

Grand jury proceedings began Monday. Two days later, Piepmeier announced that the grand jury did not indict anyone and believed that the officers were justified in their actions.

The Justice Department said Wednesday it would “conduct an independent review of the facts and circumstances” around Crawford’s death to see if there were any civil rights violations. This review will be conducted by the department’s civil rights division, the U.S. attorney’s office and the FBI.

After the grand jury’s decision was announced, Gov. John Kasich (R) and Ohio Attoreny General Mike DeWine (R) both issued statements on Wednesday calling for the Justice Department to look into the issue.

“After talking with the Attorney General and watching the video myself, I agree with his decision that a review by the U.S. Department of Justice is appropriate,” Kasich said in a statement. “This is a tragedy for the Crawford family and I share the concern of many in the community that this matter must be handled with the utmost seriousness and respect.”

DeWine’s office said the state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation had “been in frequent contact” with the FBI and said it would turn over any requested files relating to the investigation.

Crawford’s death did not attract as much national attention as the deaths of Michael Brown in Missouri or Eric Garner in New York. But all three had something in common: Crawford, Brown and Garner were all black men who died after encounters with police, with these situations drawing increased scrutiny to the way police officers use force.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FtNOV6Qhk

Smh.. These pigs have a lincense to ? ? and get away with it anytime the want...

Comments

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are we surprised? So "not shocked" to the point you dont even get mad.

Im just glad the DOJ is finally off their ass now that Obama's re-election is secured. Too bad they didnt have these kind of ? before;.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats crazy.......
    same thing will happen in fergusen. ....i can feel it
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    from the time the saw him to the time they shot him...how long was it?

• JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    from the time the saw him to the time they shot him...how long was it?

dont quote me... but i read a few articles when it first hit.. said it was "seconds".... he was on the phone with his BM and she heard him say "its not real" then gun shots....
  • JusDre313
    Options
    just read on CNN that they just released the vid of the shooting today.. im at work cant post. somebody post that ? .. thats the key to all this
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    just read on CNN that they just released the vid of the shooting today.. im at work cant post. somebody post that ? .. thats the key to all this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2hXQxlCLvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZyhohmTSkA
  • mr.october
    mr.october Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The caller got him killed. Sad really cuz in this instance they were doing their job . I wonder why they don't use rubber bullets more 2 take down suspects more especially if he wasn't threatening anyone which the caller said. But he said all that bs bout him swinging the gun around at customers makes it seem more threatening so they came thinking that he was aiming at people. If dude was white he probably would have been shot 2. Probably would've been warned much more than twice though.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mr.october wrote: »
    . If dude was white he probably would have been shot 2. Probably would've been warned much more than twice though.

If dude was white, he wouldn't have been shot...believe that
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unbelievable. How can you not at least consider a trial when a unarmed human is gunned down while on the phone?
    I'm getting very angry at this point. This type of ? puts me in really dark place
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was his back turned to the police?
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Expect the same result in Ferguson case
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I wish the family let them release that video sooner.

(I remember reading an article where the mother/father made a statement about how they didn't want the video showing him being murdered out.)
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like it was
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something is off about this whole thing, looked like they just ran in the store and shot him...oh wait he was black....
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? wasn't doing ? , ? the person that called and the police that shot him.
  • JusDre313
    Options
    some mafucking ? ... fam didn't have a chance... they screamed police and just shot him... ? the police and every one of yall that like em
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is sickning......but it seems that no matter how many "wake up" calls black people in this country get alot of us miss out on the obvious.

Anybody in their right mind know that what was shown in that video wasn't right.... I just know that oscar grant was shot in his back, while laying on his stomach which was clearly a FIRST DEGREE murder charge or was suppose to be and the shooter got off with 2 monkey ass years.I'm just waiting for them to slap this pig on his wrist for killing this young man.
  • count  remy
    count remy Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no accountability..... At least release the shooters toxicology. If they only have 1 second to assess the situation make sure they're not paranoid coming off of weed, jittery from snorting a line, or hallucinating seeing weapons on mushrooms. Make sure their T levels are in range and not roid raging at the time of the shooting. But i bet, that thought never crossed any of those fools minds. Why is something like that laying on the shelf at walmart anyway? Once again lets compare and contrast......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-1UY9aMDWE

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is not an isolated issue within the police, this is something seen in a lot of different areas in American life:
    People in positions of power not facing repercussions for their mistakes.

In Iceland Bankers were jailed for jeopardizing the country's economy and in America where the financial troubles were arguably much worse there were no consequences for them

Police violate their code of conduct and are seldom punished

Big corporations are frequently taken off the hook when they violate the law, and are even bailed out when they ? up and go bankrupt

Celebrities put lives at risk and drive ? , getting light sentences, whereas ordinary people will catch drug charges and get years on years

There is a lot of nepotism, favoritism, and overall bias, and it runs deep
  • count  remy
    count remy Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had this conversation at work a year ago and this proves my point. That man does not fit the profile of someone that walks into a place of business and opens fire. Think of all the school shooting, high schools and colleges, oh elementary (almost forgot about that guy) theater shootings, Gabrielle Giffords in Tuson, the 2 wierdos Jerad and Amanda Miller that amushed them cops in subway, Frazier Glenn Cross from the stormfront.com that went to ? jews but actually shot some catholics, and the dude that shot up that Sikh Temple. What do all these people have in common. They are not black. For every 1 black person that does this, there are at least 3 white people that do it worst. So enough of this he fit the description ? . Black people only "fit the description" when it's convenient That man was killed because he was black. if he was seen with his ? outside the club; yeah maybe but nah....These fools executed that guy.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the significance of the video tracking him through the store? What was this guy trying to explain? All we need to see is the shooting.Nothing else is relevant.