Nas vs. Rakim...has the student surpassed the teacher??

Options
2»

Comments

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Lustchyld wrote: »
    The ? is the point of typing "ummmm"? Anyway

So let me get this straight, he sold out for sales on IWW with a positive song called if I ruled the world but because it's a r&b hook he's selling out? And don't bring up the content on the whole album cause it's not like illmatic was on some pro black positively ? either. 2, making a record with diddy is selling out now? That's dumb as ? and 3, that owe me vs black girl lost is weak. But let me ask you, is Tupac a sell out?

what does this have to do with 2pac?? also, explain Biggie's line if I'm talking out my ass

Smh cause you just basically described Tupac

And yes biggie was talking out of his ass and since you're sitting here not forming your own so are you. Can you explain how exactly it was written sounds like nas took biggie style in the first place?

Look Biggie said the ? while you getting all defensive smh. But to humor you, the Escobar/Mafioso ? Nas was on at the time (especially with the Firm and all) was out of character to some extent considering the person he portrayed himself to be on Illmatic. Biggie felt he was swagger jackin the k.o.n.y. ? . I ain't even gonna entertain the 2pac comparison though so miss me with that.

? are you ? ? I know biggie said the ? I've heard the ? millions of times but YOU are the one cosigning it and using it for this conversation so I'm asking you how is it true. Btw you can't "swagger jack" being king of new York " how the hell can you jack thinking you're the best from your state? You say some dumb ? ? And by you not entertaining the Tupac question is showing how full of ? you are. Cause if nas sold out like that then pac did 1000 times over and so did the majority of rappers. That's not selling out. And how different is the content on iww and illmatic? Illmatic is not exactly it takes a nation of millions..... Itself. Dude is selling drugs and robbing candy shops on illmatic also. You i.c ? man smh
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    "...So Puff drove his new Range through Queensbridge Projects
    He let me drive it, before Ready to Die hit
    BIG and I hit blunts performing at the Arc
    Next thing you knew, BIG blew and all the balling starts
    He had Kim and his crew, I found Fox, only ? in New York with number
    one charts
    BIG was ahead of his time, him and Raekwon my ?
    But dig it, they couldn't get along
    That's when Ghostface said it on the Purple tape
    Bad Boy biting Nas album cover, wait
    BIG told me Rae was stealing my slang
    And Rae told me out in Shaolin BIG would do the same thing
    But I borrowed from both them ?
    Jigga started to flow like us, but hit with 'Ain't No ? '..."
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Nas= Rakim + Slick Rick.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Nas
    Nas is what happened if the 1980s hip hop had a baby. If my son not better than me, I lost.
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim

So let me get this straight, he sold out for sales on IWW with a positive song called if I ruled the world but because it's a r&b hook he's selling out? And don't bring up the content on the whole album cause it's not like illmatic was on some pro black positively ? either. 2, making a record with diddy is selling out now? That's dumb as ? and 3, that owe me vs black girl lost is weak. But let me ask you, is Tupac a sell out?

what does this have to do with 2pac?? also, explain Biggie's line if I'm talking out my ass

And yes biggie was talking out of his ass and since you're sitting here not forming your own so are you. Can you explain how exactly it was written sounds like nas took biggie style in the first place?

Look Biggie said the ? while you getting all defensive smh. But to humor you, the Escobar/Mafioso ? Nas was on at the time (especially with the Firm and all) was out of character to some extent considering the person he portrayed himself to be on Illmatic. Biggie felt he was swagger jackin the k.o.n.y. ? . I ain't even gonna entertain the 2pac comparison though so miss me with that.

? are you ? ? I know biggie said the ? I've heard the ? millions of times but YOU are the one cosigning it and using it for this conversation so I'm asking you how is it true. Btw you can't "swagger jack" being king of new York " how the hell can you jack thinking you're the best from your state? You say some dumb ? ? And by you not entertaining the Tupac question is showing how full of ? you are. Cause if nas sold out like that then pac did 1000 times over and so did the majority of rappers. That's not selling out. And how different is the content on iww and illmatic? Illmatic is not exactly it takes a nation of millions..... Itself. Dude is selling drugs and robbing candy shops on illmatic also. You i.c ? man smh

Jungle is that you??
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Nas

Jungle is that you??

So now you resort to stealing jokes for the lols smh Anyway go on about your business kid we done here
  • Jaydan014
    Jaydan014 Members Posts: 229
    Options
    Rakim
    Another thing. Rakim has never made an album as wack as Streets Disciple, Nastradamus or Hip Hop Is Dead
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Jaydan014 wrote: »
    Another thing. Rakim has never made an album as wack as Streets Disciple, Nastradamus or Hip Hop Is Dead

Nastradamus>>>The Master

And they came out the same year 1999
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Nas
    5 Grand wrote: »

Nastradamus>>>The Master

Pay her no mind, she's a troll
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    I thought Top 5 DOA went like this:

#1-4: Nas, Pac, B.I.G, & Jay in any order

#5: Rakim
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim
    If that Rakim vs Big Daddy Kane battle had taken place we wouldn't even be having this discussion...before the Jay Z battle NAS was on a life line...rembember...Rakim was voted as the GOAT Emcce in the Source back in the late 90's even though he hadn't dropped an album in years...
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim
    So let me get this straight, he sold out for sales on IWW with a positive song called if I ruled the world but because it's a r&b hook he's selling out?
    If I Ruled the World
    is by
    Kurtis Blow, A Hip hop Legend"
  • Jaydan014
    Jaydan014 Members Posts: 229
    Options
    Rakim
    So let me get this straight, he sold out for sales on IWW with a positive song called if I ruled the world but because it's a r&b hook he's selling out?
    If I Ruled the World
    is by
    Kurtis Blow, A Hip hop Legend"

I agree with this and i'm not even a fan. It is simple if a rapper can't do hooks they will get an RnB singer to do it most the time and focus on wat they can do which is spit verses. If a rapper can do hooks they will do it them self it is that simple. So Nas wasn't selling out he just addressed his weakness by getting features for hooks and stuck to his strength rhyming
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas

Nastradamus>>>The Master

^^^^^I got two nosigns for saying this.

So for the people who no signed me, why do you think The Master is better than Nastradamus?

The Master had two good songs, When I Be On The Mic and Waiting For The World To End (both produced by Premiere)

Nastradamus had a handful of good songs
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas could pull some Jim Jones drink the kool-aid ? with some of yall ? .
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Verse for Verse, lyric for lyric they're about even.

However, Nas did more with his career. He got better production and made more albums.

Rakim took a hiatus in the mid 90s while Nas, Big and Pac were blowing up. Then he came back in 1997 with The 18th Letter which was cool but it didn't compare to what Puffy was doing in the mainstream (No Way Out/Life After Death) or what spitters like Wu Tang were doing in the underground (Wu tang Forever).

Rakim didn't fall off lyrically, but ever since he broke up with Eric B he hasn't reached his full potential. Back in High school I thought Eric B was the weak link, But when you look back at Rakim's career he made his best music with Eric B. Everybody thought when he went solo he was going to drop the bomb but his solo work has been more like a firecracker than a bomb.

? ..Rakim was the music because he produced all those records..not Eric B. He was the DJ but every Eric B. and Rakim classic you heard was all RAKIM period..with assistance from the late Paul C and a young Large Professor.
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    This is just natural progression.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim
    Verse for Verse, lyric for lyric they're about even.

? ..Rakim was the music because he produced all those records..not Eric B. He was the DJ but every Eric B. and Rakim classic you heard was all RAKIM period..with assistance from the late Paul C and a young Large Professor.

Rakim has said in interviews that he made a lot of beats and people just naturally accredited them to eric b. dunno if eric disputes that or what
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Nas has surpassed Rakim. However, Rakim ranks higher on my list. Also, while the similarities with Rakim are obvious Nas also studied G-Rap, Kane, KRS and other greats which, has helped Nas round out better as an artist.