DriveClub Reviews...Greatness Awaits

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in IllGaming
I don't own a PS4, don't plan on buying one, and have no interest in driveclub but since I have no life and no original thread ideas that dont involve pics of men, here's a bunch of reviews that anyone with Google and a finger can find themselves. My mother is an ass eater.

GameSpot - 5
It's hard to find any true celebration here. Driveclub is ordinary menus and ordinary races, standard time trials, and a few drift events. Driveclub is bland social competition. Driveclub is the fear of risks and the embrace of the ordinary. It's basic racing in basic packaging. It is not, however, an argument for a new generation of driving, given how it fails to exceed the standards of the old one.

Eurogamer - 6
The problem with DriveClub is that it's just competent. No passion. There's nothing particularly engaging or new here.

Joystiq - 6
IGN - 7.9
Polygon - 7.5
Destructoid - 7.5
Game Informer - 7.8
? Gamer - 5
Game Revolution - 6
USGamer - 7
Gamereactor - 6
Shacknews - 7
Metro GameCentral - 5

Comments

• focus
    Options
    *dead* at the mad mod edit.

Charlton+Heston+laughing.gif
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Which one was this? The racing MMO?
  • Karl.
    Options
    I'm always wary of launch games that drop a year after launch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never followed this game since I always knew I was getting for free from ps plus.

Is it a sim or arcade racer?
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if a racing game doesn't have "burnout" in the title... i'm not ? with it.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wait so we editing threads only when they insult PS4 ahahahah clowns
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not a big racing head. The only racing series I like is Burnout. I was just kinda checking out the Forza 2 vs Driveclub reviews, and it seems like most people consider Forza better. I can see why. Forza has more customization outside of gameplay and less rules inside of gameplay. That said, Driveclub seems more like you're actually racing. There is some intensity in the gameplay and your penalized if you drive badly. With Forza, you drive however you want and it doesn't matter and really it feels like you're just going out for a drive and not actually racing. I don't know if that makes sense.

For the racing heads here, which is more important, customization and in-game freedom or authentic racing gameplay?
  • Karl.
    Options
    Nah I crashed a bunch of time on Forza and completed ? my race up. I've played many easier racers than this.

(Based off demo gameplay)
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Nah I crashed a bunch of time on Forza and completed ? my race up. I've played many easier racers than this.

(Based off demo gameplay)

Nah I wasn't suggesting its easy. It's just weird. It doesn't seem intense. Check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGG1FWLr3Us

That was basically the same guy playing both games attempting to recreate similar situations in both for the point of comparison. Something about Forza just seems relaxed in comparison to Driveclub, like you're not racing, you're just driving for the sake of it. Maybe I'm tripping. It just seems like Driveclub has the more engaging gameplay while Forza has better bells and whistles, but I could be completely wrong about that.
  • focus
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Giant Bomb - 4
    The core act of driving a car feels off in a way that completely put me off of playing the game. Without that in place, the rest of it just falls apart. The PlayStation 4 has been without a serious racing option since launch, and Driveclub doesn't fill that gap.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? still hasn't dropped for free for PS+. I think they're trying to sucker impatient people into buying this. Never was interested in the slightest for this game, but I'll check it out whenever it drops for PS+.

Granted that it wasn't a good video to show off each games features, there wasn't anything engaging about the Drive Club segment of that comparison video. The car looked like it was floating on the track around 2:35.
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? still hasn't dropped for free for PS+. I think they're trying to sucker impatient people into buying this. Never was interested in the slightest for this game, but I'll check it out whenever it drops for PS+.

Granted that it wasn't a good video to show off each games features, there wasn't anything engaging about the Drive Club segment of that comparison video. The car looked like it was floating on the track around 2:35.

They delayed it because the game's servers aren't working for the disc copies.
  • Bcotton5
    Options

Right only reason I know of it is because it was promised to be free for us
  • Karl.
    Options
    Another empty promise from good ol' Sony.

Flag me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

Right only reason I know of it is because it was promised to be free for us
    Why you flag me?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess this is free on psn this month.
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    I guess this is free on psn this month.

no this is the free edition plus was getting. they finally fixed the servers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    anybody play it yet?
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    anybody play it yet?

i got the free edition its ok but its limited on what u can do im level 18 unlocked 15 cars so far but only 8 are in the free game so far. u can create a club send invites and challenges out to people, play online.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I played about 2 minutes of it, I got a short attention span lol but the gameplay mechanics are solid asf.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PS+ version is like Gran Turismo light...

Seems like a good racing game but I have other games I would rather put the time into...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Played the PS+ version. It's ok, especially for a free game. I'd still rather play Burnout. They need to give us a PS+ version of that.