‘Archer’ Drops ISIS Spy Agency Name

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
archer-isis.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Come January during the sixth season premiere of “Archer,” the show’s central spy agency will no longer be called ISIS.

The creators of the hit FX animated show have eliminated all use of the acronym, which stands for the International Secret Intelligence Service — the name of the show’s underground spy organization — as it’s become increasingly associated with the jihadist group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

According to The Daily Beast, the season opener shows movers rolling out the circular blue ISIS sign that has been a prominent part of the show’s New York City setting for the past five seasons. The pivotal scene and following dialogue between Malory Archer (Jessica Walter) and her son Sterling (H. Jon Benjamin) — explaining that they now work for the CIA — was added after the original version of the episode screened at San Diego Comic-Con.

“We were waiting for it to go away — at least I was,” creator Adam Reed told The Daily Beast. “Back in season 5, FX said, ‘This might be a thing,’ and I thought, ‘Maybe it won’t be? Maybe it’ll be the mole that I’m gonna ignore and nothing will happen.’ We got sort of lucky and could organically make a merger with the CIA, so we went back and retroactively painted out the ISIS logos in parts of the show, and we just don’t talk about it in dialogue.”

However, they didn’t remove the logo or mentions of ISIS from previous seasons of the show.

“We won’t say ISIS anymore, and the only visual representation of it will be that sign rolling off the show,” exec producer Matt Thompson told The Daily Beast. “It’s just the most awful thing, and we didn’t want to have anything to do with it.”

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is ? .

It's a ? cartoon which existed long before ISIS' notoriety exploded over the summer. It would have been better if they acknowledged the extremist group in the show, used it as a way to further the story and change the fictional agency's name, and drop a ton of jokes throughout the season condemning the real life ISIS.

The creators of South Park wouldn't have pussied out like this.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knew this was gonna happen. Dumb.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Straight up. They would have taken ISIS, made a big joke out of them, then wait for the kidnapping and beheading threats to rain down on them from the group themselves.

Still wondering if the creators of the show are still on the Taliban's wanted list.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is ? .

It's a ? cartoon which existed long before ISIS' notoriety exploded over the summer. It would have been better if they acknowledged the extremist group in the show, used it as a way to further the story and change the fictional agency's name, and drop a ton of jokes throughout the season condemning the real life ISIS.

South Park was a lot bigger than Archer is, even from the beginning
    I don't think Archer has the fan base to survive a large publicly outcry
    their average viewership is only about 1 million per episode
  • focus
    Options
    Seems like it would change the dynamic of the show to have them working under the CIA now instead of independently operated.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn that's wack. I understand though.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Seems like it would change the dynamic of the show to have them working under the CIA now instead of independently operated.

last season ended with them flipping bricks for the CIA though

would not be too hard to write that into the plot
  • focus
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    focus wrote: »

last season ended with them flipping bricks for the CIA though

would not be too hard to write that into the plot

Yea, it was fine for that one time story, but I dunno about having it as a permanent thing. A big part of what makes the show great is how dysfunctional ISIS is, in and of itself.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that's a damn shame.... the only Isis I recognised was an Egyptian Goddess and this group smh
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well now maybe Mallory can buy Odin and use that name
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ? 's ? up, they had it first. FX should sue ISIS for copyright infringement.

Well, technically they have already changed the name to IS aka the islamic state. Don't know why people still call them ISIS.

"On 29 June 2014, the group renamed itself as the "Islamic State" (IS) and claimed to be a caliphate (type of government)."
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's ? up, they had it first. FX should sue ISIS for copyright infringement.

Well, technically they have already changed the name to IS aka the islamic state. Don't know why people still call them ISIS.

"On 29 June 2014, the group renamed itself as the "Islamic State" (IS) and claimed to be a caliphate (type of government)."

Because the public uses ISIS and ISIL interchangeably.

They could call it the I.S., like the U.S. or the U.K., but I think they want to avoid referring to the Islamic State as if it were a legitimate state.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what are they gonna do with all that merchandise?

Lol they should sell it to the real Isis