The Affair (New ShowTime series)

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Affair explores the emotional effects of an extramarital relationship between Noah Solloway and Alison Lockhart after the two meet in the resort town of Montauk in Long Island.

Noah is a New York City schoolteacher who has had one novel published, and is struggling to write a second book.

He is happily married with four children, but resents his dependence on his wealthy father-in-law.

Alison is a young waitress trying to piece her life and marriage back together in the wake of the tragic death of her child.

The story of the affair is told separately, complete with distinct memory biases, from the male and female perspectives.

Anyone catch this? It's already on episode two, just caught the first one and its pretty interesting.

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I feel like I should be interested in this since I love masters of sex and that explores sex and relationships, intimacy and all that...but I'm just not =/

Heard good things about the first episode. If people keep saying it's good I may check it out tho.

For the record I respect IC opinions over anyone else's so...if yall say it's good then I have no choice...
  • VIBE
    Options
    My bad, it's only on the first episode. 2nd won't air until Sunday.
  • VIBE
    Options
    I wasn't sure about it. I felt like since Sho already has Masters, it was a little redundant for them to have another affair type show. But it did well the first episode.

A detective is interviewing both of the main characters, Noah and Alison, and they both give their side of the story as to how they met, how the affair started and that's what it's at for now.

It's interesting because you're obviously unsure why they're being interviewed, murder seems, of course, highly likely, but it's unknown at this time, and the fact that both have totally different perspectives on how everything happened. Both paint the other as the one doing the pursuing.

Seems like it is going to be pretty good, so far.

Plus, Masters is gone. Gotta get that drama-sex fix somewhere lol
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imma check it out...
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    so what's the point of the show? they're gonna follow the same affair for like 6 seasons?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems like something for the ? . So I'll pass.
  • VIBE
    Options
    so what's the point of the show? they're gonna follow the same affair for like 6 seasons?

lol I didn't even think about that.. If they can make it good enough, that's all I care about..
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like a chick show.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I already got Masters of Sex, so, pass.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It started off promising. I got bored when the chick told her side.
    I would've kicked my sons ass for stage-hanging himself.
  • marc123
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just finished the pilot. I liked it, very interesting. I like how they both viewed their meeting differently. Im sure it will have alotta twists n turns to fill 12 episodes. BTW, based on them talkin to the black dude in the room, it looks like there is a murder mystery mixed in. My 1st guess is that they killed her boyfriend.

Overall it feels like a summer novel, but its not overly feminine. Its a healthy balance.

Showtime might have another winner on its hands.

Smh @ yall for not giving it a chance.
  • VIBE
    Options
    The men have to protect their manhood.

• KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    The men have to protect their manhood.

Don't project the issues you have with yourself @VIBE‌
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    USA network already has this show
  • marc123
    Options
    2nd episode was coo, it moved the plot forward alil.

Lol at his oldest daughter. No ? @ her friend.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just watched the 1st episode, yeah it's slow but I really enjoyed it. Will be interesting to see if Noah or Alison's side is more truthful. Also for everyone that's saying it's a show for the ? ...it's not.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Just watched the 1st episode, yeah it's slow but I really enjoyed it. Will be interesting to see if Noah or Alison's side is more truthful. Also for everyone that's saying it's a show for the ? ...it's not.

Nah, it's just for hoe ass ? .
    jk.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    Just finished the 2nd episode. So someone has obviously been hit by a car and died but it might be an accident or might not be. Who the hell knows where this is gonna go but I'm interested.
  • Rampage12
    Options

I doubt it, as it's already moved forward way too quickly to sustain it over more than one season.

I could see it being an anthology series like True Detective as it's already similar with the interrogations and the flashbacks.
  • marc123
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Just finished the 2nd episode. So someone has obviously been hit by a car and died but it might be an accident or might not be. Who the hell knows where this is gonna go but I'm interested.

I have a feelin they set up the girls husband.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    Well episode 3 was rather boring but looks like it might pick up with episode 4. I figured it might be Oscar who was killed but obviously not since Noah said "have you looked into investigating Oscar Hodges".

• marc123
    Options
    I liked episode 3.

Lol at the convo between Noah and his father n law...

And wtf is up with Alison cutting her inner thigh?

The show also needs more of the sexy waitress co worker.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    I liked episode 3.

Lol at the convo between Noah and his father n law...

And wtf is up with Alison cutting her inner thigh?

The show also needs more of the sexy waitress co worker.

Hell I thought that was some good ass advice. Basically told him to get his ass in gear and write a damn book, especially since he's pulling all those strings for him by getting him a meeting with the agent.
  • marc123
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Damn! Ep 4 was hella deep.

I liked that they addressed the inner thigh cuts deal

Um wtf tho? Alison ? Noah in her and her husbands bed. Thats ? up.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    Seems like their stories are becoming kind of more similar. Whereas in her point of view she's actually into Noah where in the first couple episodes she had him come off as a creep.

I guarantee that cigarette that Alison dropped comes into play somehow as a way for them to get her DNA.

And LOL at Dominic West still downing Jameson's like he's still Jimmy McNulty although in his point of view when they got the hotel room he wasn't drinking.