Charles Barkley: ‘Unintelligent’ Blacks ‘Brainwashed’ To Keep Successful Black Men Down

Options
MR.CJ
MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley spoke candidly about the problems facing the black community when appearing on a Philadelphia radio station, accusing “unintelligent,” “brainwashed” African-Americans of keeping successful ones down.

While appearing on “Afternoons with Anthony Gargano and Rob Ellis,” Barkley was asked about a rumor that Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson was getting criticism from his black teammates for not being, quote, “black enough.”

Barkley went on a long monologue on the subject: ”Unfortunately, as I tell my white friends, we as black people, we’re never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you’re black, you have to deal with so much ? in your life from other black people. It’s a ? , dark secret; I’m glad it’s coming out.”

Barkley said that young black men who do well in school are accused of “acting white” by their peers. “One of the reasons we’re never going to be successful as a whole, because of other black people. And for some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you’re not a thug or an idiot, you’re not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don’t break the law, you’re not a good black person. And it’s a ? , dark secret.”

“There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don’t have success,” he continued. “It’s best to knock a successful black person down because they’re intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they’re successful…”

“We’re the only ethnic group who say, ‘Hey, if you go to jail, it gives you street cred.’ It’s just typical BS that goes on when you’re black, man.”

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/25/charles-barkley-unintelligent-blacks-brainwashed-to-keep-successful-black-men-down-video/

Comments

• Aquafina..floe
    Aquafina..floe Members Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol that old lady is so cute

? up story though...
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The 'acting white' thing is real, whatever some deluded black scholars may say.

So Charles has a point. But the phenomenon needs to be contextualized. It's a way of responding to racism. It may be counterproductive, but there is a reason why people think like that.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    KingSimba wrote: »

So Charles has a point. But the phenomenon needs to be contextualized. It's a way of responding to racism. It may be counterproductive, but there is a reason why people think like that.

Who hurt you bruh?

Does that sound like someone hut me? Huh?
  • A Talented One
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So the 'acting white' thing is not real? It NEVER happens?

Did Fordham and Ogbu fabricate their results?

http://www.unc.edu/courses/2006fall/educ/645/001/Fordham-Ogbu.pdf

FOH with this ? .

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingSimba wrote: »

Who hurt you bruh?

Does that sound like someone hut me? Huh?

A lot of your post just come off as upset and bitter for some reason. I try not to just on the criticism bandwagon, but for you to read his quotes and say "he has a point" says something.

Where you picked on in high school or by family members or something? Serious question.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Abstract
    Using a newly available data set, which allows one to construct a novel measure of a student’s social
    status, we demonstrate that there are potentially important racial differences in the relationship between
    social status and academic achievement. The effect is intensified among students with a grade point
    average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher and those in schools with more interracial contact. Earlier studies showing
    a positive relationship between popularity and academic achievement for blacks are sensitive to the
    inclusion of more continuous achievement measures. We argue that the data are most consistent with a
    model of ‘acting white’ in which investments in education are taken as a signal of one’s opportunity costs
    of peer-group loyalty, though imprecise estimates make definitive conclusions difficult.

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/an_empirical_analysis_of_acting_white.pdf
  • Aquafina..floe
    Aquafina..floe Members Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is something that I myself face.....even though im not highly education..i am extremely proper and well put together...all of my friends say that i act white....but u know what when ? needs to get done im the first person they call

i think its more of a jealousy thing...some black people are just too narrow minded and ? to think outside the box when it comes to certain things....they are too programed into thinking they are fine just the way they are and they can survive thru life thinking they are the dominate ? race that nobody wants to ? with

when all actuality they aint ? ...and never gonna be ?
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I will agree with the fact that ignorance seems to be celebrated in some sections of the black community. No one was ? at Chris Rock for this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tkZuLixZOk
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will agree with the fact that ignorance seems to be celebrated in some sections of the black community. No one was ? at Chris Rock for this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tkZuLixZOk

Is this as factual as it was back then though? Idk if it's just something I've been experiencing within my own generation (I'm 24) but I feel there's been a general shift away from the self-hate of 10-15 years ago.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    contextualized.

What?

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He sho does sound like my ? , ? you ? .

Bruh, kys.