African Boys, 11 and 13, Attacked at Bronx School, Called "Ebola"

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
A group that advocates for Africans in the Bronx is calling for action after it says two brothers who had recently immigrated to the borough from Senegal were beaten and badly injured by several people who called them “Ebola” in school.

The 11- and 13-year-old boys, in sixth and eighth grade, respectively, were attacked Friday afternoon at I.S. 318 in Tremont, according to the African Advocacy Council.

Their father, Amadou Drame, said his sons were cruelly harassed. Days after news broke that the deadly disease was in the United States, he said students, whispering the word, "Ebola," told other students not to talk to the boys. They were treated like cancers, he said. And though the children were raised in Senegal, they were born in America -- and have every right to be here, their father said.

But Drame didn't blame the students.

"They don't know nothing. They're babies," he said.

Instead, Drame insisted the school system wasn't doing enough to protect his children and others like them. He called on politicians and educators to spread awareness about the disease -- and to step in when necessary.

Calling the attack "unacceptable," advocates say it is just the latest incidence of disrespect and bullying of Africans since the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa.

The Department of Education says it's aware of the complaint and that it dispatched additional security to the boys' school.

Senegal is one of several West African countries where Ebola cases have been reported, but there have been no new cases in that country since late August, according to the CDC.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Senegal-Boys-Attacked-Bullying-IS-318-Tremont-NYC-280519232.html

Comments

• EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    It's the same as the African ? scratcher jokes from our childhood. It's ? up

Growing up.. Only thing that saved me was the fact that I was from the projects.. Dudes in school didn't want those problems..
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Growing up Nigerian American ( was born here) I realized that african americans gave me more grief than the white kids and as an adultbi just find It sad.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder if it was AA or Latino/whiye kids doing the teasing
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Yeah i was kinda hoping someone would say it was so Albanian kids smh
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dealt with a few jokes here and there but nothing serious...i remember my brother almost getting jumped cuz he wouldnt join a gang
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I "thought" some kids had Ebola, I would want no part of helping beat they ass in fear of splattered blood getting into my body and cause it just isn't right.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dealt with a few jokes here and there but nothing serious...i remember my brother almost getting jumped cuz he wouldnt join a gang

Damn.
    Jumped if u do, jumped if u don't.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »

Damn.
    Jumped if u do, jumped if u don't.

Yea it was crazy cuz they tried to fade him one on one... He put in the work on numerous occasions... They figured they couldn't beat him one on one and tried to jump him w bats and ? chased him round the school
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    It's the same as the African ? scratcher jokes from our childhood. It's ? up

Yeah i remember that ? .. where the ? did we even get that from
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was some disrespectful AA kids?

Cuz that makes it worst.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    The school is 2/3 hispanic 1/3 black
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    And some african american wonder why africans don't like them not saying that is was AA'S that did this but if it was it would not surprise me.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ignorant ass ? ? with anybody they can. Nothing is off limits....but yiu have to consider the source. If you let the actions of a few special ed ? baby ? wit no daddies make you hate a wgole race....then youre dumb. Period.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kids do mean ? . It is what it is.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    And some african american wonder why africans don't like them not saying that is was AA'S that did this but if it was it would not surprise me.

I dont give a ? why they dont like us. The bottom line is they have no right to since if it wasnt for black Americans they would be ? and they would have ? in this country.

Black Americans fought for their right to bring their weird sounding ? to this country and so much as breath the same air in the same room as the crackers they ass-kiss when they get to this country with their arrogant pompous ? .

They like to brag about high academic achievement - you know, because they all think their ? genius - but they gloss over the fact that it was high academic achievement from black American intellectuals and lawyers that fought for their right to even sit their malnourished, awkward looking ? in the same colleges as those crackers they revere so much.

Most of these ? come to America uppity for no good reason and ? on the same group of people that fought and died for the rights they have to even migrate to this country without chains on their ankles.

So any victim roll playing, "ohhh thats why I dont like Black Americans" ? gets the ? YOU from me immediate.

All Africans have the right to say to ANY black American is, "THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOUR FOREFATHERS DID FOR US AFTER WE SOLD YOUR ? TO THE WHITE MAN...WE OWE YOU OUR EVERYTHING...THANK YOU SO MUCH."

And when you finish that sentence SHUT.THE.? .UP and go back to eating your goat and injata.
    ...and ? those kids too.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    AAs did not fight for African immigration at all...go read up the hart cellar act
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    And AAs certainly didn't welcome immigrants of any color
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ignorant ass ? ? with anybody they can. Nothing is off limits....but yiu have to consider the source. If you let the actions of a few special ed ? baby ? wit no daddies make you hate a wgole race....then youre dumb. Period.

I'm guessing "wgole race" is supposed to mean a whole race? If so, what race are u talking about? It can't be that u r referring to african and african americans as 2 different races?!

It's actually one race. And neither African or African American are races.

Another thing, don't underestimate first impressions.

I'm sure if anyone has ever looked at a vlog of a black american musician visiting a country in Africa, u'd c the massive love shown to said entertainers. Meanwhile Joe obatunde finally gets his ass out of Africa and the first thing he gotta deal with is some(not all) ignant American ? coming at him bout his ; clothes, his skin, his hair, his culture, his accent etc..

The culture of talking trash to a complete stranger is only accepted here. Y u think iggy reacted to snoop the way she did instead of taking it as a joke as everyone was saying she should?

Not saying it's right to judge all afro americans by, as u said "some ? babies".

U just got consider what some people go through coming to this country.

From an immigrant I can tell u this from experience, no black person from another country comes here expecting some of their biggest hurdles to b from other black people, instead of crackas and their system, but guess what usually happens....