If You Could Executive Produce An Album Would You Spend More Dough On Beats Or Features?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in The Reason
How Would You Spend Your budget?

If You Could Executive Produce An Album Would You Spend More Dough On Beats Or Features? 48 votes

Features from Jay, Nas, Eminem, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne with in house production (your homies)
8%
robblr86mryounggunA$AP_A$TONPeezy_Jenkins 4 votes
Beats from Dre, Kanye, Just Blaze, Mannie Fresh and DJ Premiere with local unknown MCs
91%
eternal soldier[Deleted User]B_Asapp08_2001jonorip.dillanex ginnillerthekidsr_the_freshmanhueyqawshunbigbird_1HustleThaDongman82awwwwwwwwwwwillestni99ainnetompetrez3KINGECMr.LVStoneColdMikey 44 votes

Comments

• sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beats from Dre, Kanye, Just Blaze, Mannie Fresh and DJ Premiere with local unknown MCs
    No one respects an artist that relies so heavily on features.
    I'd make sure said artist was a spitter, and slayed every dope beat that came through our doors.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Features from Jay, Nas, Eminem, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne with in house production (your homies)
    People are more likely to give a beat from an unknown producer a chance than a verse from an unknown rapper. Also, next time you do a pole like this, leave off the names and ? . Because even though I'd choose to spent money oh features, I wouldn't want a verse from Wayne, Nicky or Eminem. And none of my ? do beats.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate feature heavy albums
  • sr_the_freshman
    edited October 2014
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    People are more likely to give a beat from an unknown producer a chance than a verse from an unknown rapper. Also, next time you do a pole like this, leave off the names and ? . Because even though I'd choose to spent money oh features, I wouldn't want a verse from Wayne, Nicky or Eminem. And none of my ? do beats.

See this was the route I was gonna take, but then I'd be worried about the artists gettin' overshadowed by the feature.
    I feel like this would be good for short term exposure, but bad for the long term.
  • mryounggun
    Options

See this was the route I was gonna take, but then I'd be worried about the artists gettin' overshadowed by the feature.
    I feel like this would be good for short term exposure, but bad for the long term.

Maaaan, ? all that. Lol. I wouldn't executive produce an album by a Lupe Fiasco-ass artist. Meaning an artists that is scared to get on songs with certain artists because he's afraid of being murdered on wax. SMH.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No features and preferably with an in-house producer. Who doesn't need to be a homie, but good musicians(band) that knows music. Them guys charging 500k ain't on my radar.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i make my own beats, id go for features, not as much as someone like game, but good features in the right places(hook features, interludes, and verses) and i wouldnt have these exact names so id save money there also.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

thats why u pick smart bruh, pick the right feature, u an idiot but i know u know not to put nas on a chief keef record
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd like a mainstream rapper to make an album with NO guest appearances in this era.

It takes a lot of boldness to do that

Also I dig rappers using just ONE producer on an album
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yg my krazy life
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Yg my krazy life

Yeah I just remembered Mustard handled all that. It was decent too. ..
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Last 3 Killer Mike projects had only one producer.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Killer Mike isn't necessarily a "mainstream" act who gets heavy radio spins but I like your example

You'd see more of these one producer type rappers on the indie scene.

There was Gibbs and Madlib too but on Stonesthrow which is independent
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    estsblished artists can give you that unintentional cosign and that's not bad but that ? could box you in. I'd rather pay for the beats of a kanye of a just blaze because I can show out and the unknown feature gets his opportunity to show and prove.
  • sr_the_freshman
    Options

thats why u pick smart bruh, pick the right feature, u an idiot but i know u know not to put nas on a chief keef record

None of the right features are in OP's choices. They are all artists which would easily overshadow my rookie with simply star power alone; talent wouldn't be a factor. I'm basing my ? off the options given to me, ? ? .

Don't start with your wack personal shots when a rapper as garbage as you would need both in order to survive.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

None of the right features are in OP's choices. They are all artists which would easily overshadow my rookie with simply star power alone; talent wouldn't be a factor. I'm basing my ? off the options given to me, ? ? .

Don't start with your wack personal shots when a rapper as garbage as you would need both in order to survive.

lol this how i know i got u in ur feelings, i respected the fact my opinions didnt affect ur thought on my music, so why wasnt i garbage the first time i had u listening to my ? ? backpedaling scorned ass ?
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    LOL y'all both are funny AF..

Every single thread
  • sr_the_freshman
    edited October 2014
    Options

lol this how i know i got u in ur feelings, i respected the fact my opinions didnt affect ur thought on my music, so why wasnt i garbage the first time i had u listening to my ? ? backpedaling scorned ass ?

lol you need to reread my assessment of your ? B. I made it very clear, you weren't horrible flow / delivery wise but you needed work in all other departments including beat selection, which was a surprise.

If I was executive producing your album, I would not be able to rely on you to survive on the track with any other talent rap wise either. That's the problem.

Money is involved dawwwwgg. I need you to be great.
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beats !! You can just Suge Knight Artists in to being on a album. Come to think of it guess you could do that to producers too .... lol
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last 3 Killer Mike projects had only one producer.

I tell folks albums made like that have a signature sound to them, their own identity, and I think that ? is important.

You get a beat from this guy and that other guy and some dude from some where and your ? sounds all over the place. Like it hasn't carved it's own lane.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a real executive produvcer would balnce it out
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beats because i cant stand when albums with good production allow wack ass rappers come in and ? the whole vibe up
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With features you attracting ppl from different fan bases and possibly making new ones of your own.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stalley and Rashad: Ohio and Lincoln Way Nights
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My squad is nice my ? gonna sound like the war report