Video: Don Lemon "I Get Called Uncle Tom if I Don’t Push a Certain Narrative"

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdISuTToYA

mediaite.com/tv/cnns-don-lemon-i-get-called-uncle-tom-if-i-dont-push-a-certain-narrative/
CNN’s Don Lemon: I Get Called Uncle Tom if I Don’t Push a Certain Narrative

CNN anchor Don Lemon took on Charles Barkley‘s comments about black people tearing each other down and agreed, since he said he’s also been attacked for not putting forth a certain narrative as a black man.

TheBlaze’s Tara Setmayer agreed with Barkley too, saying that she’s heard plenty of racist things from other black people because of how she looks, speaks, and the fact that she’s educated. And not only that, but Setmayer is a conservative minority, and she told Lemon she gets a lot of hate for that.

Van Jones didn’t quite agree. He said the African-Americans he’s spoken to say they’re “proud I have an Ivy League education,” and didn’t feel comfortable about people like Barkley overreacting and spreading stereotypes about black people.

Lemon argued that he’s just tired of having to qualify any comments about the black community by saying first that racism is obviously bad. He said that as a black man, “if I don’t carry a certain narrative” that liberally-minded black people have come to expect, then he gets called names like Uncle Tom.

N0b_aF.gif

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Van Jones... pause...
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lemon argued that he’s just tired of having to qualify any comments about the black community by saying first that racism is obviously bad.

So he just wants to be able to say racist and stereotypical things about black people without having to mention the root cause?

In other words he wants to be racist like a white person can but once again black people are holding him back from greatness.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol tge broad in the video still looks like charles barkley

And lol/smh at how the media purposes interrupts real life ? to have black ppl debate on absolutely nothing. This ? is a distraction
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see they really wanted to let dude have his say because he wasn't 100% agreeing with what they were saying.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I see they really didn't want to let dude have his say because he wasn't 100% agreeing with what they were saying.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ? me off by cutting van off every time he had a point
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Don one of those "what about black on black crime" ppl. Because if he ever says that this video can be pulled. He made a point to Van saying "I think that is an entirely different subject, you can mention one thing and not have to mention the other all the time."

Let me find out there's some footage of him saying "what about black on black crime?" or anything in the same spirit when it's aside from the point.

For the record what Van was getting at was NOT aside from the point, it was a relevant counter based on the innaccuracies and hyperbole within Chuck's statement.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What narrative would he rather push? Someone get these ? outta here.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can't even clck play... that setup sounds like a 3 vs. 1 ? pity party.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    i can't even clck play... that setup sounds like a 3 vs. 1 ? pity party.

It certainly is.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Don Lemon man!
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We should be ashamed of ourselves apparently.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems to me that what he is saying is very true: people call him names if he doesn't repeat a certain narrative.

I'm not even saying whether calling him these names is unjustified or not, but he certainly does get called names. People in this very thread are calling him ? .
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    No Don gets called an Uncle Tom because that's what the ? he is.

Close Thread
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    ? Don Lemon man!
    His boyfriend already has
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with having a differing opinion but when you excuse outsiders for their ? people are going to call you names.
  • b4rPnQrC32H4cT
    b4rPnQrC32H4cT Members Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What a pity.

Fgt.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never really heard this dude talk. What makes him a ? ? I know a lot of people on this site overuse that word, but it seems like everyone agrees that he's one, so I'm willing to believe it's true. Anyone got any egregious examples of ? he's said and done?

I will say one thing. Black Republicans always whine that they catch hell because they are Conservatives. They need to learn that nobody cares that they are Conservative. People criticize them because they are Republicans, members of a party that makes no illusion that it doesn't give a ? about any minorities unless they are willing to be be whipping boys and girls.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    Is Don one of those "what about black on black crime" ppl. Because if he ever says that this video can be pulled. He made a point to Van saying "I think that is an entirely different subject, you can mention one thing and not have to mention the other all the time."

Let me find out there's some footage of him saying "what about black on black crime?" or anything in the same spirit when it's aside from the point.

For the record what Van was getting at was NOT aside from the point, it was a relevant counter based on the innaccuracies and hyperbole within Chuck's statement.

true and chucks comment about jealous black people and the failure of black businesses had nothing to do with one another
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It still seems to me that most of you pay too much critical attention to people who make critical comments about black people. It's like anything that draws attention away from white people and their racism and puts it on black people is bad (though I agree that it is problematic when these is an issue of white racism and people say, "But what about [x]?" where x is some issuing having to do with black people).

I especially think that this attitude doesn't make any sense if you think white people, generally speaking, aren't going to change anytime soon, if ever (as I tend to think). I explained my reasons for thinking this in the following thread: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/522225/a-question-for-the-militants/p1