How Many Albums (Of Any Genre) Have You Purchased In The Past 3 Years?

Options

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5-10
    5 grand you love in Jersey? Thats whats up
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've purchased over 40 hard copies of an album in the past 3 years
    This question is for people who don't buy albums;

If you don't buy the album when it comes out, there's no way to measure if the rapper/artist is successful. For example, a rapper releases his album and it sells 5k in the first week. The record label assumes its a flop and drops the artist.

Don't you feel partially responsible to buy an album every once in a while so artists don't get dropped from their labels?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zero - I haven't purchased any retail albums or online in the past 3 years
    5 Grand wrote: »

If you don't buy the album when it comes out, there's no way to measure if the rapper/artist is successful. For example, a rapper releases his album and it sells 5k in the first week. The record label assumes its a flop and drops the artist.

Don't you feel partially responsible to buy an album every once in a while so artists don't get dropped from their labels?

No, I don't these artist claim to be living the lifestyle my couple dollars cant hurt them lol #trollface, also I find it extremely difficult to buy something that I can get for free easier on top of being burned by so many garbage albums at 15 - 20$ a piece in the past I have a sense of entitlement.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been buying a shitload of hard copies the last couple of years just started collecting hard copies 3 years ago. Old and new stuff.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

No, I don't these artist claim to be living the lifestyle my couple dollars cant hurt them lol #trollface, also I find it extremely difficult to buy something that I can get for free easier on top of being burned by so many garbage albums at 15 - 20$ a piece in the past I have a sense of entitlement.

You bring up an interesting point, a lot of these rappers claim to have so much money they can just throw it up in the air and make it rain at a strip club, so by their own accord, they don't need the money from record sales.

But seriously, wouldn't you like to see your favorite artist release a second album and have big name producers and big name features? If they don't make any money the label will stop ? with them (which could be a good thing I guess).

Anyway, I still say if you d/l an album and you really like it, you should buy it from a retail store, even if its just Amazon where you can get it for half price.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1-4
    Life is good, that's it
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1-4
    Yeezus
    Albert Einstein
    pinata

And if you wanna count it:

The tonight show with Gibbs

I only buy music from artists I REALLY ? with. Spitta gonna get my money too when he makes us pay eventually
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEEN COPPIN' ALBUMS SINCE I WAS 10 YEARS OLD
    SHOVELING SNOW TO COP LIQUID SWORDS & ? .
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You bring up an interesting point, a lot of these rappers claim to have so much money they can just throw it up in the air and make it rain at a strip club, so by their own accord, they don't need the money from record sales.

But seriously, wouldn't you like to see your favorite artist release a second album and have big name producers and big name features? If they don't make any money the label will stop ? with them (which could be a good thing I guess).

Anyway, I still say if you d/l an album and you really like it, you should buy it from a retail store, even if its just Amazon where you can get it for half price.

I agree with your statement about if you dl an album and like it you should buy it. I think of that while listening to great albums (GKMC, MBDTF, Sail Out EP, Love/Hate, Love vs Money, IV Play, the only albums I would have purchased in the last several years) but never get around to buying them. I guess its easier for me to say it than actually practice it.

We also have to consider how some of these artist are dropping free bodies of work that are better at most times much better than their retail albums. Also now artist are dropping free tapes repackaging them as EP's and selling stripped down versions of the dope tapes. Ty Dolla Sign - Beach House EP and K Camps - In Due Time EP come to mind.

That takes away from the fun of buying music for me because I've heard a better version already, but I like you as an artist and want to support you and you sell me something inferior to something you already gave to me free. Its a catch 22 I could go on and on about this topic.

I would feel better just donating to an artist but most rappers have to much pride for that but Ive heard of it before cant remember who did it though, but others genres should adopt it more when it comes to free albums/mixtapes.

#justmythoughtspeople.
  • Avenged Sevenfold
    Avenged Sevenfold Members Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Options
    5-10
    4 I think. I need to step it up. My cd collection is sad. And my vinyl collection is worse.
  • Avenged Sevenfold
    Avenged Sevenfold Members Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Options
    5-10
    4 I think. I need to step it up. My cd collection is sad. And my vinyl collection is worse.

I'm a ? . Meant to click 1-4 not 5-10
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I rather spend money on clothes, club, gym than buying albums
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1-4
    gkmc
    untitled
    mack wilds album
    the stimulus package
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    16-20
    Probably a little more than I answered...

Just in last week...

Diamond District - March on Washington
    Apollo Brown & Ras Kass - Blasphemy
    Black Milk - If There's a Hell Below
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ive bought so much music

cd's
    vinyls
    tapes

my collection is no joke I got doubles,triples of alot of albums I got all kinds of generes.

If anyone wanna put their collection up against mine it's a wrap
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prolly purchased around 100 cd's/vinyl in the last 2 years. how many of them were hip-hop... about 15-20.

Been buying a bunch of these box sets/essential album collections labels have been dropping. 5-6 cd's for 20 bucks isn't bad at all.
    1146520_543215432480702_8202423654042367152_n_zps5efbfe2e.jpg
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1-4

No

I'd rather hear some up and coming producers and albums with a few features from up and coming artists
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The last albums I remembered copping is "Fishscale" and "Monkey Barz"....since then my collection looks something like this
    cds-pile-620x465.jpg?hash=MwRkLGV2MQ&upscale=1
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    ive bought so much music

cd's
    vinyls
    tapes

my collection is no joke I got doubles,triples of alot of albums I got all kinds of generes.

@ the bolded. Don't get cocky!

• _Menace_
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    ive bought so much music

cd's
    vinyls
    tapes

@ the bolded. Don't get cocky!

fam drop your collection.....

im not even home to get pics of it but ill drop what i got on file...
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I dropped a YouTube link to my collection on the first page.
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Seen it... impressive but you been around when 8Tracks were being sold in stores.

My Collection is big as well I got cassettes and tapes.

But I guarantee I got records in my collection that cost more than half of yours
  • C-PortTrapper
    C-PortTrapper Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    Options
    Shiiiiiiit last album I bought was Traphouse by Gucci Man in 2004
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1-4
    Live From the Undergrond-Krit
    Birdman-Fast Money
    UGK-Underground Kingz

Bought that Krit back in '12, and the other 2 last year.