Warner Brothers Traded The Rights To Friday The 13th And South Park For The Rights To Interstellar

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guardian - Jonah Nolan (Christopher’s brother) had originally been hired by Steven Spielberg and the producer Linda Obst, in 2007, to turn Kip Thorne’s theories about black holes and wormholes into a movie for Paramount. Eventually Spielberg moved on to other projects, but one evening in 2009, while scouting locations for the final film in the Batman trilogy,The Dark Knight Rises, Jonah told his brother about the script he was working on. Nolan had his own ideas for a movie about interplanetary travel, which he merged with the first and final acts of Jonah’s script. He also brought along Warner Bros, even though the project had been initiated by Paramount. “He doesn’t have a deal with Warner Bros, and it wasn’t like he was obliged to make sure they were a part of it,” Brad Grey said. When he met Nolan to hear the pitch for the script, the director said that he wanted Warner Bros to be a part of the deal, as an acknowledgment of the support they had given Nolan after a lone gunman walked into a packed theatre showing The Dark Knight Rises in 2012, killing 12 audience members and injuring 70 others. The studio had closed ranks around the film-maker, pulling him from a European press tour, withholding grosses, and donating money to a charity benefiting the victims. “He felt a real sense of loyalty because of what they had just been through,” Grey said. “When he explained it to me I said yes on the spot.”

The deal that Paramount and Warner Bros negotiated was anomalous to say the least. For the right to distribute Interstellar internationally, Warner Bros traded the rights for two of their franchises, Friday the 13th and South Park, plus “a to-be-determined A-list Warners property”, while its subsidiary, Legendary, agreed to trade Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for a further piece of the pie. To say this disregards the reigning economic logic of modern Hollywood is not quite right – it reverses the normal logic by which Hollywood operates. Franchises are the lifeblood of the studios. For Warner Bros to hand over the rights to two of its well-known properties, representing money in the bank, for the opportunity to take a spin on an original idea – a film with no sequel potential and few merchandising opportunities, based on the dimly understood recesses of quantum physics – speaks both to the value placed by the studios on Nolan, and also the extent to which he has become a franchise unto himself.

Some cool behind the scenes sh*t from the Hollywood movie industry that I didnt even know could go on. Studios trading movie franchises like they’re ? baseball cards. Pulling the trigger on a 2 movies and a property to be named later for McConaughey and Nolan like its some sort of fantasy movie league. I gotta be honest, I feel like Warner Bros. straight up fleeced Paramount in this deal. I mean this isn’t the 1980s…how much money are you really making on Friday the 14th almost 35 years after it first came out? I know you can always churn out a Jason Voorhees flick and make a little dough but its not like you’re getting a big time money maker. South Park I’m sure has potential for at least another big movie but its not like they are churning those out left and right either. That A-List property to be named later is a motherfu*ker though. I wonder if Paramount can just choose which one they want. Wait for the next Harry Potter to come along and be like “Yea we’ll take that one.” If Warner Bros is smart they put some protection on that future pick. But overall I feel like nabbing Nolan and McConaughey in the most highly anticipated sci fi movie since like Avatar is a steal. This movie is gonna make a billion dollars. You can have Voorhees and Cartman, I’ll take the billion dollars now.

Comments

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk. I'm not really that hyped about interstellar. The previews dont explain much. I'll wait until others see it or catch it on Movie4k
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    I'm a Jason stan, so I just care about the quality of any future Friday the 13th's.

New Line (which I think is part of Warner Bros now..?) has been pretty much ? the franchise up for a minute now. I think they took over either with Jason Takes Manhattan or Jason's Dead, the Final Friday. I've watched them all, and enjoyed them all, but quality-wise the franchise has been toilet water for a good minute. with that said, Jason X actually had a pretty decent story, and Freddy vs Jason was somewhat entertaining...the reboot, Friday the 13th, is the best the series has been in a looong time tho.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    From the franchise wiki:

Future[edit]
    In an interview, producers Brad Fuller and Andrew Form expressed an interest in doing another Friday the 13th film, citing the enjoyment they had working on the 2009 reboot.[70] On October 1, 2009, Warner Bros. announced that they planned to release the Friday the 13th sequel on August 13, 2010.[71] Subsequently, Warner Bros. announced on December 10, 2009 that the sequel had been pulled from the August 13 release slot and is now listed as "TBD" (to be determined). Currently, Damian Shannon and Mark Swift are penning the sequel.[72] On April 21, 2010, Fuller announced on his Twitter page that a sequel to the 2009 remake was no longer in the works, declaring it, "dead — not happening".[73] In a later interview, Fuller explained that the making of the 2009 remake was a joint effort by Paramount and New Line, who both own portions of the Friday the 13th franchise. With the economy down, both studios are limiting the films that they produce each year, opting for lower risks and higher rewards. As such, films like Friday the 13th Part 2 were put on hold, with the hope that when the economy bounced back, they would move forward with the next installment. Form explained that since neither studio wants to walk away from the production of a sequel and have it perform well without their involvement, thus making them look like "idiots", the chance of having one studio being the primary producing house was rejected. Form and Fuller also mentioned that the Friday the 13th sequel may be a 3‑D film, should it ever get the green light for production.[74] On February 1, 2011, it was reported that a script for a sequel had been completed. Brad Fuller states that he is ready when New Line Cinema is ready.[75] On June 5, 2013, it was reported that Warner Bros. relinquished their film rights to the Friday the 13th series back to Paramount as part of a deal that allows Warner Bros. to co-produce Interstellar.[76] One week later, Derek Mears revealed that Paramount is working with Platinum Dunes to make a new installment "as fast as possible".[77]
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a Jason stan, so I just care about the quality of any future Friday the 13th's.

New Line (which I think is part of Warner Bros now..?) has been pretty much ? the franchise up for a minute now. I think they took over either with Jason Takes Manhattan or Jason's Dead, the Final Friday. I've watched them all, and enjoyed them all, but quality-wise the franchise has been toilet water for a good minute. with that said, Jason X actually had a pretty decent story, and Freddy vs Jason was somewhat entertaining...the reboot, Friday the 13th, is the best the series has been in a looong time tho.

Time Warner bought New Line so it was a sister studio to Warner Bros until it's original incarnation died. Nowadays it's been brought back directly under WB yes.

New Line only produced 3 Jason movies. Goes to Hell, Jason X and Freddy Vs. Jason. I really didn't like that reboot at all though and I'm glad it's being ignored and rebooted again but the Friday series is definitely more synonymous with Paramount than any other movie studio.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jason X had a good story? Really bro? With him being held in prison in ? space of all places, you can't be serious.

And the 9th one was called Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday. You must be thinking of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    ^^ I just got the title mixed up, not the garbage-ness that was Jason Goes To Hell. and yes, Jason X wasn't that bad IMHO...it was nowhere near the worst of the franchise, and the futuristic plot was inherently kinda out there, but the story itself was plausible.

With the exception of the dumb-azz ending, what did u guys have against the reboot?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New South Park movie hopefully
  • Broddie
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^^ I just got the title mixed up, not the garbage-ness that was Jason Goes To Hell. and yes, Jason X wasn't that bad IMHO...it was nowhere near the worst of the franchise, and the futuristic plot was inherently kinda out there, but the story itself was plausible.

With the exception of the dumb-azz ending, what did u guys have against the reboot?

It tried too hard to give a Friday movie a valid narrative and "credibility" and didn't succeed because the characters were just as vapid and stupid as they are in some other Friday movies like part 5 and part 8. Especially the black guy, asian guy and the frat boy ? off. I also hated how it tried to go for this grim dark cinematography like some sort of psychological thriller. It just looked ugly as ? with 0 memorable visuals and kills. On top of that Jason himself felt really off and all the wannabe fan service was just really lazy.

To me the movie was a hot mess that missed the point of being a Friday movie just like Platinum Dunes did with A Nightmare on Elm Street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So I'm glad they lost the rights and that Crystal Lake Entertainment would be handling ? from now on. At least CLE is ran by franchise veterans.

None of the Friday the 13th movies are about plot (I mean seriously) or any of that ? . It's just about being entertaining slashers with some cool final girls or even guys to overcome Jason and leave the camp site. I agree with you that Jason X falls into that category. Parts 3, 4, 6 and 7 do as well. Whenever they try to overthink it like with Jason Goes to Hell (who the ? wants an explanation for Jason's supernatural abilities?) or the remake it just fails. At least part 9 had the guy from the TV series though.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    ^^ I think they tried to give it "credibility" to make the events themselves plausible...I disagree with parts of your opinion, but appreciate u sharing it.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I only seen jason X 1 time and that was around the time It came out, From what I remember, I remember hating that movie. One of the worst horror movies I ever seen and as a horror fanatic I sat through alot of ? movies. As for the reboot, I thought It was ok, nothing groundbreaking but still a ok movie. Alot better than wtf they did to other reboots/remakes like nightmare on elm street and that horrible HORRIBLE leatherface movie, jeez smh
  • Rampage12
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Honestly the only recent horror reboot that I've liked is Last House on the Left. But I did spare myself from seeing Texas Chainsaw, that series is just a hot mess with all the times they've acted like certain films didn't happen but then all of a sudden they did happen. Like anyone remember when Leatherface was a crossdresser SMH.
  • Broddie
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^^ I think they tried to give it "credibility" to make the events themselves plausible...I disagree with parts of your opinion, but appreciate u sharing it.

Nobody goes to a Friday movie to see some guy on a quest to save his sister though. Nobody wants a slasher to be plausible any slasher fan just wants the movie to be a fun time had with their girl at the flicks or at home while ? on brew or high on bud.

We just want to see Jason massacre teens who have made some bad decisions and see the fittest of the group survive in the end. If it was more like the first half I would've tolerated it more. That first act had potential but he just butchered all the crystal lake kids and then it shifted into a bad episode of Supernatural.
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Honestly the only recent horror reboot that I've liked is Last House on the Left. But I did spare myself from seeing Texas Chainsaw, that series is just a hot mess with all the times they've acted like certain films didn't happen but then all of a sudden they did happen. Like anyone remember when Leatherface was a crossdresser SMH.

Yes with academy award winner Matthew McConaughey as one of his siblings lmao

None of the TCM sequels lived up to the classic original. Part 2 came close though at least in terms of entertainment factor and I loved how Hooper didn't try to outdo himself and just took it in a completely different direction. That's probably one of my most watched movies ever at this point.

• _Jay_
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

It tried too hard to give a Friday movie a valid narrative and "credibility" and didn't succeed because the characters were just as vapid and stupid as they are in some other Friday movies like part 5 and part 8. Especially the black guy, asian guy and the frat boy ? off. I also hated how it tried to go for this grim dark cinematography like some sort of psychological thriller. It just looked ugly as ? with 0 memorable visuals and kills. On top of that Jason himself felt really off and all the wannabe fan service was just really lazy.

To me the movie was a hot mess that missed the point of being a Friday movie just like Platinum Dunes did with A Nightmare on Elm Street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So I'm glad they lost the rights and that Crystal Lake Entertainment would be handling ? from now on. At least CLE is ran by franchise veterans.

None of the Friday the 13th movies are about plot (I mean seriously) or any of that ? . It's just about being entertaining slashers with some cool final girls or even guys to overcome Jason and leave the camp site. I agree with you that Jason X falls into that category. Parts 3, 4, 6 and 7 do as well. Whenever they try to overthink it like with Jason Goes to Hell (who the ? wants an explanation for Jason's supernatural abilities?) or the remake it just fails. At least part 9 had the guy from the TV series though.

the characters were vapid and stupid so ppl wouldn't care and/or would cheer them gettin killed off...that's always been part of the formula. and I for one was cool with the grim, dark cinematography cuz it was something new to the franchise. also disagree with "0 memorable visuals and kills". dude on the boat taking the arrow to the eye; nude girl in the lake hiding under the dock and catching a machete to the dome, being hoisted up on it, and then sinking into the water was DOPE; and the sheriff taking the arrow in the eye thru the door were def memorable, all IMO. I agree with Jason feeling "off", but the series has used diff Jasons over the years, I just attributed that to them not using Kane Hodder (my personal fave Jason). and this guy wasn't BAD, he just wasn't...familiar.

Nobody goes to a Friday movie to see some guy on a quest to save his sister though. Nobody wants a slasher to be plausible any slasher fan just wants the movie to be a fun time had with their girl at the flicks or at home while ? on brew or high on bud.

We just want to see Jason massacre teens who have made some bad decisions and see the fittest of the group survive in the end. If it was more like the first half I would've tolerated it more. That first act had potential but he just butchered all the crystal lake kids and then it shifted into a bad episode of Supernatural.

I thought the guy attempting to save his sister was a decent twist. for once, anybody with common sense didn't automatically know who was gonna live to the end (does the sister get killed? will they ? the brother off, after all he's been thru to find her? this dark-haired girl who's helped the brother all this time...she's been mad helpful, will she live and and the sister dies? will there be one survivor, two survivors? 3? None?) It also gave a purpose for the things that were goin on, the writers had to come up with a reason these ppl were there...when the franchise began, summer camps were a thing that most folks related to, whether in going or in not going, but in 2009 that sorta plot device is dated...this is still just a rumor, but the next in the franchise is supposedly "found footage" ala Blair Witch. I personally thought Blair Witch was garbage, but the idea of found footage is something that resonates in this age of selfies and smartphones. <=== what I'm gettin at is, there has to be a reason for the movie to make sense, some sorta plausibility. ppl are gonna automatically talk about how campy, how far-fetched, and/or how unrealistic any film in this genre is, even as they watch it and are entertained, so the writers coming with a valid reason for ppl being in the woods at this killer's mercy is an ok touch. IMO.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    Lmao...as I said earlier, Imma Jason stan...so if my posts sound...however they may sound, that's the reason why. lol
  • Broddie
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lmao...as I said earlier, Imma Jason stan...so if my posts sound...however they may sound, that's the reason why. lol

Don't worry man that's what this forum is supposed to be about anyway. I could talk about this series and horror in general for hours.

Now onto your point of certain tropes being outdated. I don't know if that's necessarily true. I've seen people half my age complain about slashers trying too hard to explain themselves and the killer's motivations and that's the demographic studios are going for today. Rob Zombie's Halloween being most notorious about this. Contrast that with My ? Valentine 3D however which pretty much stuck closer to the original and you see why one succeeded as a slasher with audiences more than the other. The K.I.S.S. rule works best for all horror tbh but especially slashers.

Slasher subgenre is one where simplicity works best and it's been that way since the 60's. If anything trying to add "plausibility" is just going to leave it open for much more critique because it's something that just drags and bogs down the whole thing. Sure you want to keep the audience engaged and guessing but you don't want to give them unecessary headaches because you're trying to seem "outsmart" the formula. This is why Scream 4 to name a reason example was such a piece of trash.

Imagine seeing ? and spending the first 2 acts dealing with explaining Norman's psychosis. I know that's the basis of a TV series at the moment but think of that within the context of a 2 hour picture. You rob the movie of all it's best and most powerful moments which benefited from a much more simpler structure. One of the things I enjoyed about Cabin in the Woods for example was how they ? on the whole trying to overcomplicate monsters and slashers bit in their own meta textual way.

TBF all you need to know going into a Friday movie is that Jason haunts Crystal Lake cause he drowned there years ago. That's it. From there you can take it wherever you want whether it's Jason Vs. Carrie (part 7) or one of the little kids who stayed at the camp retaliating and helping out the final girl (part 4). But really people just want to go into a slasher to turn their brain off and enjoy the junk food cinema

So in that sense even with the remake. OK fine. Have a guy come to Crystal Lake looking for a missing sister. Cool. But don't tell the audience that Jason goes on kidnapping girls cause of his mommy fetish that just makes him seem really pathetic. It also bogs down the pace a lot because you have to focus so much on the girl and her brother in so many pointless filler scenes that fail to enhance the atmosphere or add any suspense. A little more mystery and less exposition goes a long way.

Especially when the characters end up as one dimensional as the canon fodder anyway. It would've been better served if the guy came back to find a sister that was no longer alive and had to find a way to just make it back out into civilization from Crystal Lake. Would've been more consistent with the spirit of the series anyway. I think this is why so many fans and even non fans took issue with it. Sometimes if it ain't really broke you shouldn't try to fix it. This is how we end up with ? like Freddy's Dead or Jason Goes to Hell (which I still enjoy regardless but you get my point hopefully).

Trying to overcompensate by coming up with elaborate explanations most people don't care to ever ask for is just room to derail your own movie.

So I can't really agree with that. I am open to a found footage slasher though. Not really too into the found footage subgenre overall but when it involves something where the characters will always stay on their toes like Cloverfield or a regular slasher flick it could have it's moments.

I'm more interested in the new TV series that will feature Jason this time than a new movie though.
  • Rampage12
    Options

Rampage12 wrote: »

Yes with academy award winner Matthew McConaughey as one of his siblings lmao

None of the TCM sequels lived up to the classic original. Part 2 came close though at least in terms of entertainment factor and I loved how Hooper didn't try to outdo himself and just took it in a completely different direction. That's probably one of my most watched movies ever at this point.

Haha, wasn't Renee Zellweger in that too?
  • Broddie
    Options
    Yeah she was the final girl. They both came a long way since then.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? are you ? talkin about?!
  • Broddie
    Options
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really enjoyed the 2009 Jason but I'm still hoping that Jason Lives/ New Blood flavor eventually gets recaptured in a movie
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk. I'm not really that hyped about interstellar. The previews dont explain much. I'll wait until others see it or catch it on Movie4k

Don't rob yourself and watch a ? rip of this film. Go see it in IMAX.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't realise the Jason franchise could garner such discussion.