Hayao Miyazaki Addresses Studio Ghibli's Future

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hayao Miyazaki Addresses Studio Ghibli's Future
'At this point, we're not making a new film...'

11 November 2014 | Written by James White | Source: LA Times

Hayao-Miyazaki-Announces-His-Retirement.jpg

Last year, animation genius and Studio Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki announced that he was retiring from filmmaking to focus on other projects, and we were sad. Then, a couple of months ago word came that Ghibli itself would be shutting down, which was later modified to “restructuring” and we were even sadder. But according to Miyazaki himself, it could still be the end for the venerable animation studio.

Talking with the LA Times as he prepares to accept an honorary Oscar, Miyazaki was asked about the future of the company he helped to build. “At this point, we're not making a new film, he says. “I think we will not be making any feature films to be shown in theaters. That was not my intention, though. All I did was announce that I would be retiring and not making any more features.” Surely someone new could come along and continue the work? “That will depend on their efforts and whether they'll have the fortune, the luck, to be able to make films.”

It sounds like he’s not hopeful right now, but is leaving the door open for others, so presumably someone could come along and restore the studio’s fortunes. He doesn’t seem to be all that confident in the future of hand-drawn animation, though. “If creators have the intent to do hand-drawn animation, there certainly will be opportunities for them to do that. But what might be a difficulty will be the financial considerations. I do think the era of pencil, paper and film is coming to an end.”

Of course, until Studio Ghibli actually shuts its doors, there is hope, but it’s certainly not the most encouraging news, especially given the source…

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42719

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was a pretty sad read tbh.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hayao Miyazaki is coming out of retirement
    The legendary Studio Ghibli director is reportedly working on a new feature-length project.

hayao-miyazaki-1108x0-c-default.jpg

It’s official: Hayao Miyazaki, arguably Japan’s best known and most beloved living filmmaker, is reportedly coming out of retirement to start work on a new Studio Ghibli film.

The animation maestro announced back in 2013 that he was stepping away from directing indefinitely, but now Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki has confirmed that Miyazaki is busy developing on a feature-length project which began as a short film called Kemushi no Boro.

Suzuki broke the news at a pre-Oscars interview with Pixar director Pete Docter in Los Angeles, where the Ghibli co-produced The Red Turtle is in the mix for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

Miyazaki has apparently spent the last few years learning how to animate on a computer, and his comeback will mark his and the studio’s first full venture into CG animation.

We’re not entirely sure what to make of that – especially given that in December 2016 Miyazaki referred to an AI-based CG animation programme as “an insult to life itself”– but it’s certainly an intriguing development. We’ll keep you updated as and when the story develops.

https://youtu.be/Sw7BggqBpTk

http://lwlies.com/articles/hayao-miyazaki-is-coming-out-of-retirement/
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's good. The world still needs Miyazaki's storytelling.