Are you technically a rapper if you never drop an album.. And who's the most successful not to

Options
freethewave
freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you dont a have a debut album can you even call yourself one.

Comments

• deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'd say Jungle. He don't got the solo album but he is def underrated. All the features he did with Nas and what he did with Bravehearts was pure Gold. I heard he wrote some of the One Mic and that's my top 5 Nas track. I'd say Jungle is probably top 30 DOA
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmfao at Garden
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Wish Bone still hasn't dropped his solo
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Jay elect and the majority of ym are in that category too
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you get a record deal and never drop an album you're still pretty successful in rapper terms relative to most ? that never get more than 40 plays on a song on soundcloud or wherever...

Matter fact a ? with a record deal that never put out a album is more successful of a rapper than a ? without a record deal that puts a album up on itunes that nobody buys
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wish Bone still hasn't dropped his solo

he acturally had a hood banger with "get ya thug on" in cleveland
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    If you get a record deal and never drop an album you're still pretty successful in rapper terms relative to most ? that never get more than 40 plays on a song on soundcloud or wherever...

Matter fact a ? with a record deal that never put out a album is more successful of a rapper than a ? without a record deal that puts a album up on itunes that nobody buys

yeah but that rapper's career is most likely over
    it seems way harder to establish yourself from being in that position
    compared to never being signed cuz by then companies know for sure what won't work
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Rock had a record contract prefame. He never released his album tho.

I would say hes successful
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This feels like it should b a j elect thread
  • FunkyWindstarCaravan
    FunkyWindstarCaravan Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    Sauce Money...Yeah he dropped one album (quietly), but...."Before the album dropped, copped a grammy." Everything he spit on was flames (Reservoir Dogs, Bring It On, Face Off, Show & Prove, etc). If he got his pub from those songs, plus "I'll Be Missing You", he should be straight.
  • FunkyWindstarCaravan
    FunkyWindstarCaravan Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    you USETA BE ABLE TO make ah living selling cds out of your trunk

^^ *FIXED*
    Nowadays the game is so overcrowded, ? don't wanna hear ya ? even for FREE. Last I heard from my dudes up top in NYC, it's a thousand mufuckas handing out mixtapes in Times Sq, to the point they consider it harassment. I told my dude "Nah you bullshitting. That ? was actually a mission in GTA IV"..LOL!!

• englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if ah ? approach me and he fitted, or riding clean, and lookin like he get money; ill buy his cd if i got some cash on me...

but if ah ? hand me ah cd-r disc with marker saying his name, and lookin broke; he can get the jamie foxx hand sign

So if the guy looks like he already has money you woul be willin to purchase his music? But if he looked broke you would refuse?

Can I ask why?

I'd rather buy the broke dudes music....

The rich guy prolly feels he's already made it so his content will likely contain lyrics about materialistic ? .

Broke guy would be struggling to make ends meet so I'd expect more effort put into his work for him to change his living situation.

Listen to most artists debut albums (pre labels forcing album sounds) and then listen to their 3rd/4th album (if they lasted long enough) most artist content will have fallen off because they're no longer struggling so they ain't thinking the same which makes for a different creative process...
  • englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man being ah "rapper" ain't just about the music you make; it's about your swagger...you can't just go to ah hospital and be ah doctor, and you can't just go to ah court and be ah lawyer...everything is govern by rules and protocols...ah rapper is ah hustler, point blank period..just about every OG rapper came into the rap game with money...

@ bolded that's ? , unless they were funded behind the scenes, a lot were broke that's why thy got into rap in the first place...

"You don't sign a contract and become a celebrity" - I woulda agreed in the 90s but nowadays you pretty much can, if the label behind you feel you have what it takes all you need is a catchy tune and enough money to pay for radio spins, good publicist etc rest will take care of itself.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No more artist development..
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @DJ-Mista-Em‌ been makin a lot of sense lately...
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you rap you're a rapper

• trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if ah ? approach me and he fitted, or riding clean, and lookin like he get money; ill buy his cd if i got some cash on me...

but if ah ? hand me ah cd-r disc with marker saying his name, and lookin broke; he can get the jamie foxx hand sign

Depends wht kinda rapper you portray… jeez been getin away 4 tha longest… bao had meech work n was tha kool lil guy who rap n told ther stories… bao had meech hand me downs from clothes to cars even tha hoes…

Then ? from trap or die video is meechshit…
    man being ah "rapper" ain't just about the music you make; it's about your swagger...you can't just go to ah hospital and be ah doctor, and you can't just go to ah court and be ah lawyer...everything is govern by rules and protocols...ah rapper is ah hustler, point blank period..just about every OG rapper came into the rap game with money...

@ bolded that's ? , unless they were funded behind the scenes, a lot were broke that's why thy got into rap in the first place...

"You don't sign a contract and become a celebrity" - I woulda agreed in the 90s but nowadays you pretty much can, if the label behind you feel you have what it takes all you need is a catchy tune and enough money to pay for radio spins, good publicist etc rest will take care of itself.

nope...you get one hit wonders and not artists...temporary fame, ? it's not in them to be celebrities...it's like how the cartoon aladin, the ? had the genie make him into ah king, and it worked for ah couple weeks, then people seen he wasn't really no damn king lol...

name me ah rapper that been in the game for years that wasn't ah hustler first, and still ah celebrity now...
    "if i wasn't rapping baby, i'll still be riding mercedes" ? c

Some ? good actors… but you do know most of the hustler rappers get that 1 check n leave I.e. Juelz Santana … n you ain't got be a block ? to have that attention wave it's called been a leader also bao…

Some times the fake succeed
    Trappers need rappers for fame n rappers need trappers for image it's a win win situation been together we make each other look good… Weezy n gilly
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about Katt Williams...

He was supposed to drop an album

Katt Williams - Mind right
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbRb1aAGlok

...anybody?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Grandmaster Caz is the GOAT rapper that never released an album. He's a pioneer of the game, been around since before rap records, co-wrote Rapper's Delight and still does shows. His crew, The Cold Crush Brothers toured Europe and Japan in the early 80s and can still do a show in America, Europe or Japan in 2014....and they only have a handful of studio recordings.

Grandmaster Caz freestyle - fairly recent
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1TKmSUEZUAc