day after iggy azela wins rap album and artist of the year----mike brown thread...

Options
SheerExcellence
SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in The Reason
Mike brown killer doesnt even get charges filed on him in Ferguson. Where is the modern day ice cube and chuck d? Do you young kids not care? And I don't wanna hear anything about killer mike and talib, they of my generation. They older. You guys need your own voice, someone 22 or 23.

You gotta demand more from your artists instead of talking about the money and making ass clap. Y'all control hip hop now, and its always been a tool to talk about society and what urban America going through...

Im seeing a lack of concern in the minds of you youngsters.

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iggy strikes again
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    Rap supposed to be cnn of the streets and giving voice to what going on in our communities.

But its all good. You do your thing. And some guy was shot in the prohect stairwell last week in bklyn as cops just ran thru shooting for no reason. Kid aint even do anything nor have a gun...I'm not sure where these nice guy cops are that you deal with. In nyc cops ? , beat, and arrest black youth for no reason.

• SheerExcellence
    Options
    I'm not saying run up to a cop and punch a cop on the face
    All I'm saying is our rap music should reflect what black ppl have to go thru on a daily basis on some level
    Some percentage. Not all. Not 100% just some.
    I see none from the youngsters. So I guess they just don't care.
  • CantBanTheSoulMan
    CantBanTheSoulMan Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options
    Mike brown killer doesnt even get charges filed on him in Ferguson. Where is the modern day ice cube and chuck d? Do you young kids not care? And I don't wanna hear anything about killer mike and talib, they of my generation. They older. You guys need your own voice, someone 22 or 23.

You gotta demand more from your artists instead of talking about the money and making ass clap. Y'all control hip hop now, and its always been a tool to talk about society and what urban America going through...

First of all, who are you and what generation are you from? Who is "ya'll's generation"? What are we comparing here? You trying to have a discussion or are you trying to passively aggressively rant? From what I've seen of you're posts you are smart enough to know that there are artists around 22-23 (so I take it you're referring to the millennial generation?) that are making music that talks about these things.

The answer is the media and what the media chooses to push as hip hop and what the general masses are exposed to whether it is through television or radio. It's no longer cool to speak about these topics in public, or in the mainstream, like it was in the 90's, hip hop has been commercialized. And before you start talking about "our" generation selling out and not taking a stand, remember Puffy and Jay-Z sold out to corporate interests long ago and commercialized hip hop more than anyone. And thats from "ya'll's" generation. As are T.I, Jeezy and Gucci Mane are all your generation too. WE grew up listening to artists born in YOUR generation.

I get it. It is a damn shame nobody really touched on Trayvon and Mike Brown, or Sean Bell, or these other unfortunate victims of America's police forces ongoing pogrom against blacks, But the fact is, black people have been more interested in hearing black people rap about killing black people. And this isn't a new phenomenon. An this is due in part because thats what the media wants to push. Thats the kind of rappers and songs that these record labels are handing out money for. Look at Bobby Shmurda.

By the way, Ice Cube and Chuck D haven't accomplished a single thing in regards to advancing the black community. Why? Because if they had the impact everyone thinks they did, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Look at Cube now and then go listen to his first two CD's. Thats selling out. And who's generation is that?
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop making threads dedicated to this chick.

Mods close this ? .
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mods close this ? .

? ?
  • SheerExcellence
    Options

I get it. It is a damn shame nobody really touched on Trayvon and Mike Brown, or Sean Bell, or these other unfortunate victims of America's police forces ongoing pogrom against blacks, But the fact is, black people have been more interested in hearing black people rap about killing black people. And this isn't a new phenomenon. An this is due in part because thats what the media wants to push. Thats the kind of rappers and songs that these record labels are handing out money for. Look at Bobby Shmurda.

By the way, Ice Cube and Chuck D haven't accomplished a single thing in regards to advancing the black community. Why? Because if they had the impact everyone thinks they did, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Look at Cube now and then go listen to his first two CD's. Thats selling out. And who's generation is that?

And that's all I'm saying. Who is making these songs in today's age that is in that age group. I just see foolishness. And its not about "selling out" its about literally seeing the mainstream acts not even seem to care or ever even mention anything in depth about the community.

As for chuck d ir cube accomplishing nothing, I disagree. Just cause they didn't solve all the problems of black America doesnt mean they didn't accomplish nothing. Bob marley, ghandi, martin luther king and many other ppl throughout history have spoken about peace and enpowerment and stopping violence....because violence still exisits all those ppl accomplished nothing? I don't agree.

Chuck d and ice cube and krs one and many other ppl spoke on taboo issues and affecting the black community, with a voice that hadn't been heard. They spoke on issues like police brutality and hollywood discriminating against blacks, in a way that sparked understanding in many ppls heads. Reaching that many ppl with a message creates mental growth that those kids then go on to use in their life in many ways. There are many congressmen and business owners that will tell you they greatly influenced by chuck and ice cube and many others...ive had professors admit as much too me.

As for cube being in hollywood selling out, I dint see how that is the case...to me he tells black stories with predominantly black casts that are not shucking and jiving and generally positive. Thirty years ago there was only spike lee making movies as a black man focused on black folks. Now we have many and ice cube is one of them, I don't think this is selling out. Esp given that he employs and gives jobs to many black actors/actresses.

Lastly both of them have donated tons of money and resources to schools, kids programs and scholarships to urban kids...so again how is this accomplishing nothing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying these dudes are without fault or they are saints. And im not saying this young generation ain't ? . Im just saying do y'all even care about these things at all? Cause I saw the reflection of concern in the music, even alongside the ignorant ? ...we heard some concern.

I don't hear a sizable concern among these young kids today.
  • SheerExcellence
    Options

Mods close this ? .

If you not going to read the thread then shut the ? up. Nothing in this thread is dedicated to her. If you going yo criticize then make sure you read. Either add to the convo or get the ? out.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been writing this song since April, I think, about the all the injustices over the years but every time i think I'm finished some new ? happens.

Its called Oaths. I'll finish it one day

This is one of the verses

a loving husband they took his life like it was nothing a father with sons and daughters step out of line once and its manslaughter better yet life without the chance of parole and all they get taken is a shield and pistol
    Wrestling moves to subdue a man who poses no issue
    ? a black man three weeks paid vacation or put on desk duty I guess it's police probation
    We yell I can't breathe because their foot is on our neck they want us to have a place and to not forget
    Go thru the system they say its the only way I say the system ain't broke it was made this way
  • Thegreatone3
    Thegreatone3 Members Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Not all cops are bad. Not all black people are criminals. And not all white people are racist. Stop labeling. It's 2014 let's get equal.
  • Thegreatone3
    Options
    What's annoying to me is that everyone wants to say cops this cops that, that they're all corrupt and all that. Yes, I'm not ignorant to think that there aren't corrupt cops, corrupt Government officials, same way there are black criminals and racist white people and all the other prejudices that are stuck with particular individuals. When has hating the police ever helped anyone. And this stupid stop snitching ? is ? dumb too. I'm telling you all the minute I have seen a criminal activity take place or it could put someone dangerous behind bars, police are gonna know from me and don't give a ? about no 'no snitching' ? . If someone murdered your close family member or friend and you witnessed it, we'll see how quickly this no snitching policy will work well with you. This is why I don't really listen to Hip Hop as much before because it helps people to say ? the police and the police and all those that don't know about hip hop will only see it in a certain light.

I remember once reading on the news 'rapper chris brown has attacked rihanna' (This was before he was rapping mind you) Chris Brown don't ? rap!!!! But he's done something negative and and he's black so they closely associate that with a rap, or rap as a culture. We have to change people's mindsets on how we behave because at the moment I'm looking at all of y'all, and everyone who thinks this and that about individuals and I'm shaking my head at the ignorance. Grow the ? up man and don't bring this negativity into 2015!!!
  • Thegreatone3
    Options
    And about looking up to rappers.... when did that start happening. I've never looked up to a rapper to breathe words into my life on what I should be doing. Get up off you're own ass and do something about projects you feel passionate about. Ice Cube, KRS One and the rest probably are tired of speaking on the same issues and nothing is being done about it. These people need to live their lives too and not just ours. Let them live and breathe new life into things that you find disappointing about life!
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iggy won an award?...which awards were these?
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was gonna make a thread similar to this

If you give any sorta damn about the Mike Brown case and you follow Rappers that are active on social media....Go to their respective pages and see if they mentioned anything about it. Anything at all.

If not? ? em. Stop following them this very instant. And the next time you think about supporting their work, think back to this day and take their actions (or lack thereof) into consideration.

For the record, of the rappers/producers I follow on IG; only Fabolous, the Game, Preemo, and Diddy have made any mention of the whole situation.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    idc. As long as we still able to put out our own music. They have Jazz, Rock, R&B and now Rap but fortunately, with the state of the industry today, our artist are still able to get their voices out unlike the past when Record Companies would stop us at the gate. Let that fake voice white girl cook. Our people out here getting fake booties and beating each other up over twitter beef, so we can't say ? anymore. With that said, this has nothing to do with Mike Brown rip, and crackers own those award shows.
  • Thegreatone3
    Options
    gang vs gang = not the police business

ah ? kidnapping and killing lil kids = police business

You sound dumb and ignorant. But that's cool. At least I'm aware of it. The worry is when you're not
  • Thegreatone3
    Options

You sound dumb and ignorant. But that's cool. At least I'm aware of it. The worry is when you're not

So the police should choose when to but into violence.... riiiiiiiiight!!!!
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited November 2014
    Options

man ? you...i do not believe ah gang member should get ah life sentence for killing another gang member; so the police don't need to be involved in that ? ...if thats the case, the soliders at war should get life sentences..you cannot tell me the difference from the two..

Soldiers at war get worse depending on the victor. See what happened to the soldiers considered war criminals? Wars are usually sanctioned by nation states which i suppose some gangs consider themselves nations, but they have no State so their rules don't count.
  • Thegreatone3
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

man ? you...i do not believe ah gang member should get ah life sentence for killing another gang member; so the police don't need to be involved in that ? ...if thats the case, the soliders at war should get life sentences..you cannot tell me the difference from the two..

Soldiers at war get worse depending on the victor. See what happened to the soldiers considered war criminals? Wars are usually sanctioned by nation states which i suppose some gangs consider themselves nations, but they have no State so their rules don't count.

Couldn't have said it better myself - they are two completely different things, but doesn't mean war is right either. We are deviating from the point though. I understand what you are trying to say about the gang members thing a bit, but we have to discover why people join gangs in the first place and prevent that from happening. And for that to happen there has to be police involvement. Whether it is low self esteem, no father figure, etc, for me I believe the root of the problem comes from stopping youngsters from joining gangs in the first place.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Couldn't have said it better myself - they are two completely different things, but doesn't mean war is right either. We are deviating from the point though. I understand what you are trying to say about the gang members thing a bit, but we have to discover why people join gangs in the first place and prevent that from happening. And for that to happen there has to be police involvement. Whether it is low self esteem, no father figure, etc, for me I believe the root of the problem comes from stopping youngsters from joining gangs in the first place.

The allure of joining in group think can be stronger even then a stable home. That's the neighborhood they are surrounded in and the gang that existed well before their birth. A gang that existed to counter the very real segregative tactics that hold sway today. Being broke doesn't help either with many. I see no issue with brotherly camaraderie. White folks join gangs all the time with their Frats and Secret Societies. I would rather we focus their energy to the positive rather then destroy the only stability they know in this nation where most white folks wouldn't even befriend us and hold all the cards. Too many of our elders throw our kids under the bus too much telling them to pull up their pants when they did the same crimes regardless of their clean slacks. They should embrace the movements they laid the foundation for, and help to guide its potential.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as mainstream Black artists and radio continue to sell out and destroy their own music, Iggy will win more awards. Didn't the NY Post say Hip Hop was "White hot"? Lmao.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options

First of all, who are you and what generation are you from? Who is "ya'll's generation"? What are we comparing here? You trying to have a discussion or are you trying to passively aggressively rant? From what I've seen of you're posts you are smart enough to know that there are artists around 22-23 (so I take it you're referring to the millennial generation?) that are making music that talks about these things.

The answer is the media and what the media chooses to push as hip hop and what the general masses are exposed to whether it is through television or radio.
    It's no longer cool to speak about these topics in public, or in the mainstream, like it was in the 90's, hip hop has been commercialized. And before you start talking about "our" generation selling out and not taking a stand, remember Puffy and Jay-Z sold out to corporate interests long ago and commercialized hip hop more than anyone. And thats from "ya'll's" generation. As are T.I, Jeezy and Gucci Mane are all your generation too. WE grew up listening to artists born in YOUR generation.

Nope!! If I see another person blame the media I'm gonna scream! Social media is becoming more impactful than TV media! A ? sitting on his couch can make up a ? meme with 100% wrong information and get thousands of people to believe it. Social media made Bobby Schmurda a star, why can't they blow up a song or songs about police brutality? If people made a song about Mike and Trayvon, ? need to be blowing them up! Why would you wait on the media to do it?

:edit and Cube and P.E. Did make an impact! You had to be there... Saying that is basically saying nothing that black folks did made an impact because we are still having these conversations today.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    @TS, you should change the thread title and make it about the topic at hand, so the thread doesnt get sidetracked. This ? has nothing to do with Iggy, its about this era of hiphop having no voice for the culture. Same mfs saying "all you gotta do is search online for what you like" need to wake the ? up and see this era is lead by mfs who only talk about ass clapping and gun clapping (at other blacks).
  • Thegreatone3
    Options
    I understand that kids will want to join gangs because of security reasons and they feel more comfortable and secure with a group of these people then their own family - I understand that. The problem for me is what are we doing as a society to understand why this is happening as well as looking at why joining a gang is always seen as a negative thing. Let's be real large groups of people hanging out on the street is intimidating, so people will be scared. I still think people need to take responsibility for themselves and their actions rather than joining a gang, but some people don;'t have that self confidence to stand up for themselves.

I lived in an area of mostly poverty, loads of gangs around - I didn't join a single one. Raised by mum after my dad left when I was 8, have a brother and sister who are not part of a gang. And now I work in a successful company, earning money that allows me to be comfortable. Now with all that I was around I could have easily joined a gang, but didn't because I felt I'm better than that and I feel we need to teach our kids that too. The end result from being in a gang is usually very negative!!!
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Iggy won an award?...which awards were these?
    Best rap artist and best rap album