Jay vs 2Pac

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not going to make this into a poll because it would be pointless.

But something I've noticed over the past few days.

2Pac and Jay Z had the same upbringing. Both were poor and raised in the ghetto in single parent families. But Jay's outlook is the polar opposite of Pac's.

A typical Jay verse will have him rapping about wearing the finest clothes money can buy, drinking the finest champagne and travelling to exotic places by private jet or possibly a cruise ship.

Whereas a typical 2Pac verse will have him rapping about the hardships of the ghetto and how he's poor and he's pleading to ? to help him get through the tough times.

Same upbringing, same socio-economic background. Just two completely different outlooks on life.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    first off, thats not a typical jayz verse, You gotta listen to the albums again and second you gotta remember pac was raised by panthers
  • Chasin Bundlez
    Chasin Bundlez Members Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrong...a typical 2pac verse is about him drinking Hennessy and having enemies....oh, and letting ? know you ain't no "friends of me"....sad.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrong...a typical 2pac verse is about him drinking Hennessy and having enemies....oh, and letting ? know you ain't no "friends of me"....sad.

I noticed you always end your posts in a similar way....word.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay n pac both ? on mobb deep

thats where it stops
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

There's a lot more to pac than that...word b
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH at the premise of this thread.

Pac and Jay come from the same place just like how Nas and Jay come from the same place. Lets get a few things right. Jay doesn't only rap about material ? or floss it in your face. That's what ? like Meek Mills does, Jay-z has deeper raps than you give him credit for. Pac doesn't just rap about the struggle, he has his womanizing, ignorant ? too.

To me Jay-z raps from a interpersonal/introspective pov and Pac raps from a observational style. It's not a matter of subject matter imo because they are both a byproduct of the same environment and rap about the same ? just different ways. To me what Jay raps about (introspective hustler, the paranoia of drug dealing, living fast because you'll probably die young) is just as conscious as a Pac song like Brendas Gotta Baby, Keep your head up). It's a matter of which view you like more. Pac was that observant type (rap about the drug dealing he sees the hood) and Jay was the drug dealer (but he gave you the paranoia, the fears, and what led him to that).

Jay has songs like Regrets, Can't be life, Soon you'll understand, Allure, You must love me, Dope Man, In my lifetime,etc. Pac has his deep songs too, i don't need to list them because we all know them.

Pac had his ignorant and flossy ? too.

As for this thread as who i prefer. I prefer Jay-z because i feel Jay-z is a more gifted mc on a technical level. His wordplay is better, more flows, and i'm more a fan of rappers who say subtle lines you catch later..,ie Lupe, Pharoah Monche,etc.

My goat list

1. Jay
    2.Nas
    3. Pac
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pac, jay and em are some of the best rappers
    they grew up without fathers so i did the same
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Inb4 the lock....
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    SMH at the premise of this thread.

Pac and Jay come from the same place just like how Nas and Jay come from the same place. Lets get a few things right. Jay doesn't only rap about material ? or floss it in your face. That's what ? like Meek Mills does, Jay-z has deeper raps than you give him credit for. Pac doesn't just rap about the struggle, he has his womanizing, ignorant ? too.

To me Jay-z raps from a interpersonal/introspective pov and Pac raps from a observational style. It's not a matter of subject matter imo because they are both a byproduct of the same environment and rap about the same ? just different ways. To me what Jay raps about (introspective hustler, the paranoia of drug dealing, living fast because you'll probably die young) is just as conscious as a Pac song like Brendas Gotta Baby, Keep your head up). It's a matter of which view you like more. Pac was that observant type (rap about the drug dealing he sees the hood) and Jay was the drug dealer (but he gave you the paranoia, the fears, and what led him to that).

Jay has songs like Regrets, Can't be life, Soon you'll understand, Allure, You must love me, Dope Man, In my lifetime,etc. Pac has his deep songs too, i don't need to list them because we all know them.

Pac had his ignorant and flossy ? too.

As for this thread as who i prefer. I prefer Jay-z because i feel Jay-z is a more gifted mc on a technical level. His wordplay is better, more flows, and i'm more a fan of rappers who say subtle lines you catch later..,ie Lupe, Pharoah Monche,etc.

My goat list

1. Jay
    2.Nas
    3. Pac

At least SOMEBODY gave an intelligent response.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to discredit Jay, he has skills and depth (so does PAC) But I'm simply noting that they represent the same struggle but approached it from different angles. Yeah, PAC has a few jiggy songs and Jay has songs with a message, but IMO when PAC gets into that zone it's when he's rapping about the struggle and pleading to The Lord while Jay is at his apex when he's flossing that hustler/? style.

Both great MCs and both were commercially successful. I just think it's interesting that they had the same upbringing, approached the same topic with a separate point of view and both have GOAT discographies. they're almost like Yin and Yang.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You in here looking for intelligent responses but the premise of your thread was inaccurate. Dont try to bash people for responding the way they did. you saying inaccurate stuff like this

"A typical Jay verse will have him rapping about wearing the finest clothes money can buy, drinking the finest champagne and travelling to exotic places by private jet or possibly a cruise ship."

And you expected to get an "intelligent" response when ? be thinking you trolling? do better dude
  • Chasin Bundlez
    Chasin Bundlez Members Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stupid thread...why? Because you singled out Jay and Pac coming from the same place, when the fact of the matter is that 90% of rappers come from the same place...the hood!

So why single out Jay for not being as introspective and socially conscious as Pac?...this is basically a thinly veiled undercover hate Jay/dickride Pac thread.... if that's the case then by ur logic every single rapper, not just Hov, should make that type of socially conscious music since again, they all come from the "same place"...next time troll harder....word.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac ? all over Jay with runny diarrhea.

That intelligent enough for you?
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Musically (Overall body of work)
    Pac

Storytelling
    PAC

Lyrically
    Jay
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think about it like this pac dead at a age that Jay hadn't even hit the scene really yet at that same age....pac was still close to the environment he came from while Jay is a half a billionaire so tryna compare their two "typical" lyrics isn't a real intelligent thing to try and do it's like tryna compare an apple and a orange just becuz they're both fruits
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac was better than jay lyrically lets get it right people.
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I swear i can't take a ? seriously who can't admit Jay the GOAT. Pac still that ? though.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One dude from my high school became a successful marketing executive, another kid from my school is a murderer in jail. They lived next door to each other in same city. Thoughts?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    and jay z sold major drugs...2pac didn't...

2pac mama was ah ? head...

Jay's mama was a crackhead too. That's what I'm saying, they both came from the same struggle but have a different outlook on life.

Another thing to note is that PAC was getting acting roles to subsidize his income from rapping, but he didn't rap about it (to my knowledge). I don't think 2Pac has any songs about acting, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.