Pharrell Williams: Why Aren’t We Talking About Michael Brown’s ‘Bullyish’ Behavior?

Options
BoogaSuga
BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
The award-winning songwriter gave his thoughts on the unrest in Ferguson after a grand jury decided not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in Michael Brown’s shooting death.

Grammy Award-winning producer Pharrell Williams has previously gotten flak for his comments on race, such as when he told Oprah that “the new black doesn’t blame other races for our issues.” But that didn’t stop the singer-songwriter from voicing his thoughts on Monday’s grand jury decision in Ferguson, Mo., although he said he didn’t want to “get ... in trouble.”

In an extensive interview with Ebony, the star wondered why there wasn’t more discussion about why Michael Brown exhibited the behavior he did in the convenience store, which Williams described as “bullyish.”

“It looked very bullyish; that in itself I had a problem with,” Williams said, referring to released surveillance video that allegedly shows Brown forcefully stealing cigarillos from a store shortly before he was fatally shot by Officer Darren Wilson. “Not with the kid, but with whatever happened in his life for him to arrive at a place where that behavior is OK. Why aren’t we talking about that?”

However, he did say that Wilson should have been held accountable for shooting Brown. “I believe that [the] Ferguson officer should be punished and serve time. He used excessive force on a human being who was merely a child. He was a baby, man. The boy was walking in the middle of the street when the police supposedly told him to ‘get the f--k on the sidewalk,’” Williams told Ebony. “If you don’t listen to that, after just having pushed a storeowner, you’re asking for trouble. But you’re not asking to be killed. Some of these youth feel hunted and preyed upon, and that’s why that officer needs to be punished.”

The songwriter also blasted police departments’ use of force in the inner city, questioning their use of equipment—such as “mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicles.” He also lamented the fact that President Barack Obama himself has not made an appearance in Ferguson.

“I felt like the president should have gone down there. I think sending Attorney General Eric Holder was a kind gesture, but the president should have gone. He didn’t have to go and take a side; all he needed to do was show his presence and everybody would have straightened up. But he didn’t go. I won’t fault him. He’s a man with a lot of weight on his shoulders, but I personally would have gone because being a ‘man of the people’ means you’re right there with them in it,” Williams said, citing the examples of Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi.

Read the full interview at Ebony.

Comments

• BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    let the roast begin...
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some ? I kno' said the same thing. Doesn't matter what he did, he was unarmed and shot dead. The police are meant to protect even those they arrest, since not every person they take in will be trialled let alone convicted.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Black male aggressiveness, and the way someone people try to define black male identity through it in part, is definitely a conversation worth having, but not in this context where it'll just serve to distract us from Brown's unjustified killing and make white people think that they are on to something in their sense that he was a bad guy and so his killing was justified.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    real ? . after talkin with my homie who read some of the court transcripts, I can see why the police officer shot him. ACCORDING to his story that is though. if the officer lied about what happened, then there may not have been as seemed.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    real ? . after talkin with my homie who read some of the court transcripts, I can see why the police officer shot him. ACCORDING to his story that is though. if the officer lied about what happened, then there may not have been as seemed.

Of course he is lying. If not about what happened near the car, then about what happened when he shot him again and killed him. Dude even said that Brown was reaching into his pants, something which is very hard to believe given the situation and the fact that Brown was unarmed.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    He said the cop should be held accountable for what he did. He's basically saying both sides played a part in the equation. But of course ? 's arent going to read the article and call him a ? .
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk enough about this case to make an educated but some of yall are naive when it comes to cops and how they handle situations

It's been hard for me to get worked up about this the way I was when Oscar Grant/Trayvon were killed

Dude just robbed a store not stole from but robbed and refused to move out of the middle of the street...he was a ? ?

As for cops, it's easy for everybody to say shoot him in the legs or tase him

Cops have lost their lives trying to do exactly that...in that moment, they just reacting

Who knows who is telling the truth cause one party ain't here to tell his story

It's just weird to me that this is the case that got ? riled up, not one of the truly innocent kids who lost their lives but cause of this case
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    DNB1 wrote: »
    That bullyish behaviour warrented this unarmed teen to lose his life - Some ? thats has lost touch with reality and shakes his ass like a ? cause he is happy.

Pharrel's statement about the bullying isn't needed but he didn't say Brown deserved it. Just that he was being a "bully" in the store. Still stupid as ? but if you're going to ? on Pharrell for this, which he deserves, be accurate about what you're ? on. Don't leave room for people to defend that ?

Fair point...