How I went from $40k a year to well.....a little more

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
@_Menace_‌

i can try to explain it here for you and the rest of the IC. hopefully some of you will want to follow in my footsteps.

im going to keep it short. but feel free to ask any questions.
I deal with asset management of pharma equipment.

Biotech R&D spends about $6.9 billion a year for research equipment.

CS_keypic.jpg
http://www.tapbiosystems.com/tap/cell_culture/CompacT_SelecT.htm

the picture shown is of a machine that cost like $300k-$700K to buy. the maintenance on it ranges depending on the service contract anywhere from $5000-$20000 or more. Correctives can be like $10000 just to get you onsite. just to get tyou there before you even touch anything.

These are very important machines and companies will pay whatever to get them running right and correct.

This is not the machine I will be servicing but this is to give you an idea of the type of money certain things command.

The companies usually collect a high check and pay the workers...like $100k a year. they can make that in a few days to a month and all the rest is profit and paying for overhead.

Now tell me why wouldn't you network and create your own business and undercut the competition. even when you undercut you can still bring in about $3000-$10000 per service. If you know what your doing ...most services or maintenance last from 1-4 hours. some longer depending on the machine.

let the questions begin

Comments

• God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't lie that was ignorant and funny.

a ounce of coke lmaooo.

so do you know how to fix the machines?

did you hire people who knew ?

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    YunnSanco wrote: »
    I can't lie that was ignorant and funny.

a ounce of coke lmaooo.

so do you know how to fix the machines?

did you hire people who knew ?

i do but i have a new contract and have to get training on the new machines.

i dont hire people right now for this...i have to build a soild foundation first.
  • God_Yunn
    Options
    How do you go about hiring people?

are you contracted?

do you do the bidding ? As in place bids to companies to get they business? Or do you hire someone else to be your money grabber
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do everything myself.

I am contracted with a company and do the bidding every december with some companies.

but with the bigger ones, I go thru the vendor process and they base the first call vendor off of response time and customer service and costs.

24-48 hours is the emergency response time. but they commands a ? load of money. that is why i fly soo much.
    Maintenance can be planned a month in advance.

hiring will maybe come in the future after i assess the new customer.

the ? can be lost very fast if the customer feels you dont know what your doing.

one company even goes as far as hiring people to say they can do the work then they hire a third party to do the work for them and they just mark up the price.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First off, respect for doing your thing, I love to see (my) people succeed, and props for taking the time to build with ? .

Starting from the roots:

How long did you work in the industry before peeping game, and realizing you can turn this into something lucrative? When did you make your move?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Where do i go to learn to fix that machine? can i go to my local college university? or is there a class somewhere else?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What other machines you fix? ever build a machine?
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thread homie
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo @pralims‌ I gotta hit you up on an empowerment book
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work for a company that produces API's(Active pharamceutical ingredients) as a desktop support technician.

Occasionally ill be called in to work on some of the chemists machines but usually ill have no idea what to do.

So from there we have to call in a tech to assist. The phone call costs 2k sometimes and to have the tech come in is damn near 10k each and every time.

They just performed an upgrade of the machines and my manager was quoted 400k for 3.

@pralims have you ever worked on a company called Agilent machines? or perhaps mettler toledo?

If you have and you know where to get training PM me or let me in on the thread, I will literally pay you alot because the opportunity to be an inhouse tech for my company would be amazing. I'd jump from 28k to 60-70 in a matter of months.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Where do i go to learn to fix that machine? can i go to my local college university? or is there a class somewhere else?

you have to search for the companies that train.

some companies have in-house training only and you have to be an employee. but you can search online for companies that train.

but it's not about the training. you have to build the network and the trust r have the connections so they will even know they can give you a try.

thing is....everyone says they can fix machines....but these machines deal with cells that give information that helps develop cures or understand diseases. you can not...i repeat..YOU CAN NOT ? THIS UP!.

the FDA is always inspecting(yes, i answer to the FDA when the call). my current company has to keep a $1mill insurance policy incase i ? up. because if a batch of medicine ? up somewhere...them you have a massive recall. and the FDA will track it back to the problem. you have to be ready just in case you are the problem.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    What other machines you fix? ever build a machine?

build from scratch as invented? no

built from scratch as in something i service...yes, i do it all the time
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Yo @pralims‌ I gotta hit you up on an empowerment book

you know i am always up for reading
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    where the weed at
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I work for a company that produces API's(Active pharamceutical ingredients) as a desktop support technician.

Occasionally ill be called in to work on some of the chemists machines but usually ill have no idea what to do.

So from there we have to call in a tech to assist. The phone call costs 2k sometimes and to have the tech come in is damn near 10k each and every time.

They just performed an upgrade of the machines and my manager was quoted 400k for 3.

@pralims have you ever worked on a company called Agilent machines? or perhaps mettler toledo?

If you have and you know where to get training PM me or let me in on the thread, I will literally pay you alot because the opportunity to be an inhouse tech for my company would be amazing. I'd jump from 28k to 60-70 in a matter of months.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Agilent...really.

They are my comp and sometimes they partner with me. but they are one of the companies i have to watch. they are always trying to get info over your shoulder.
    \
    that is part of the cutthroat backstabbing past of the game.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    where the weed at

amsterdam and in the stash
  • God_Yunn
    Options
    Well right now I work for a company that specializes in logging the gas ,different formations in the earth while drilling (oilfield) , I also have a friend who does it. I've been thinking of pretty much doing the same thing you decided to do.

this company builds and sells the equipment required for the job also. I could buy from them and branch out or other companies.

I know the average work site makes about 40g-60g a month, depending on what they charge for and how much. Probably be a few years so its a thought at this point. But after seeing that you did it,motivates me to look more into it.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

i worked in it for four years.

and once i saw one of the invoices by mistake...i knew i was making a fraction of crumbs compared to what the company was making.

my move was made in a kinda crazy way.

like most people i was afraid to go out on my own. but the company forced my hand and wouldnt back down ...so i have to wait until my non-compete clause was up(6 months) then i began my own company. but while waiting i incorporated and begin to contact my massive network i build over the four years.

Yeah that is crazy, but it seems like you were on your A-game and able to counter everything they threw at you. Safe to say you started building your network the minute you saw they were paying you pennies?

What's your advice for building a network from scratch? How were you able to build the network so quick? Was it convenient enough where your job gave you access to a database of clients and you were in front of the "right" people?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And I thought this dude was an intelligent and educated weight mover like myself lol jk well maybe maybe not .....Pralims I might need your Europeans connect very soon
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

i worked in it for four years.

and once i saw one of the invoices by mistake...i knew i was making a fraction of crumbs compared to what the company was making.

my move was made in a kinda crazy way.

like most people i was afraid to go out on my own. but the company forced my hand and wouldnt back down ...so i have to wait until my non-compete clause was up(6 months) then i began my own company. but while waiting i incorporated and begin to contact my massive network i build over the four years.

Yeah that is crazy, but it seems like you were on your A-game and able to counter everything they threw at you. Safe to say you started building your network the minute you saw they were paying you pennies?

What's your advice for building a network from scratch? How were you able to build the network so quick? Was it convenient enough where your job gave you access to a database of clients and you were in front of the "right" people?

yep, i covered a very large area and i had to contact every customer. so i always had the contact info.

i always took people to lunch or bought the drinks when we went out. at times i just had general conversation and people began to open up on a personal level.

I am always thinking way ahead, i just never let it be known. but when i saw that invoice....it did create an immediate longterm plan but i was just afraid to take the step.

I always stayed in touch with people even if just to talk about sports or BS.

the decision makers were invited to my suite for games under the term "team building" that way they hung out to see a game in luxury, free drinks, free food and all eyes on you.
    it made them feel special and important and look like ballers to their family and friends.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so how you aint gone tell nobody where to find these jobs on the net and what to look for? cause connects and networking dont mean ? if you dont know what the ? youre doing or how to fix it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    so how you aint gone tell nobody where to find these jobs on the net and what to look for? cause connects and networking dont mean ? if you dont know what the ? youre doing or how to fix it.

first off, there are thousands of machines that are in pharma. the fukk am i supposed to link you to every one?

second, you are missing the point i am trying to make. you can get training then g out on your own. but you can start by being an engineer for a large asset management company. that will help you with your foundation.

third, i am not here to spoon feed.

fourth, networking and connect mean more than you think. you just dont know how to use them.

fifth,

if you really want something, you will find a way to get it.