Chris Rock Stopped Performing for Students Because Everything Offends Them

Options
janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
obviously, the interview in question covered more than just this topic, and is often joking in tone (well, halfway), but this specific topic is interesting...

Chris Rock Stopped Performing for Students Because Everything Offends Them
There's plenty to dissect in Frank Rich's comprehensive interview with Chris Rock. The comedian covers everything from Bill Cosby (he hopes the allegations are false) to the federal bailout of the auto industry (he was against it).

I found Rock's remarks about why he no longer performs at college campuses most illuminating:

What do you make of the attempt to bar Bill Maher from speaking at Berkeley for his riff on Muslims?

Well, I love Bill, but I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative.

In their political views?

Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.

When did you start to notice this?

About eight years ago. Probably a couple of tours ago. It was just like, This is not as much fun as it used to be. I remember talking to George Carlin before he died and him saying the exact same thing.

Provocative comedians avoiding the college scene? The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education's Susan Kruth explains why this is a lamentable development:

Just as college campuses are meant to be “marketplaces of ideas” generally, they should be places where comedians and other performers are especially able to play with new acts. It’s disappointing to see that this is not so, and that the atmosphere for freedom of speech and comedy in particular on campuses has gotten bad enough that noted comedians are avoiding student audiences altogether. That is a real loss for them—after all, everybody could use a laugh.

Anyone who thinks that there are no consequences for trigger warnings, speech codes, free speech zones, crackdowns on taco night, or general feelings-protection at the modern American university should consider Rock's comments. University administrators are teaching students that it is proper for them to crave insulation from contrarianism and controversy. The result is a kind of de facto censorship, where someone like Rock—a worthwhile speaker, whether one agrees with him or not—has little incentive to share his perspective.

What better way is there to drain universities of their intellectual potency than to dissuade all interesting people from setting foot on a college campus?

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this applies to everything else...this sense that everybody gets offended at what anybody says. It isn't so much that we can't take a joke, but it's that we can't take much needed criticisms about ourselves. There are faults in everybody's character and helps to know there are a few out there that will call us out on it out of love and makes us take constructive measures to do better.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is so true, though, especially with the younger generation. Its like they catch feelings over ever ? thing smh. I can't stand being people that sensitive, because I say a lot of random ? and I don't sugarcoat my opinions and thoughts.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bunch of ? out here.
  • janklow
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    I think this applies to everything else...this sense that everybody gets offended at what anybody says. It isn't so much that we can't take a joke, but it's that we can't take much needed criticisms about ourselves.
    true story

i find this particular example telling because people on the left love to talk about all the freedoms and rights they respect... until they don't like those things and then, mysteriously, rights and freedoms don't matter because someone is HURT. i suppose the parallel on the right is the whole "keep the government out of our business! except for the things we want it to be all up in the business of" thing

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what comes with the territory of comedy. Comedians like Chris Rock and Bill Maher base their comedic material based on ? that they actually seriously believe and there are people that seriously agree and disagree with them. So yes, talking about race, politics, and popular news stories comes with a gamble that you may receive backlash.

Basically, comedians are realizing that they are better off only performing in front of crowds that agree with them before they even get on stage, not unlike politicians or musicians. Can a racist red neck comedian get a standing ovation at an HBCU? Can a pro black comedian get a standing ovation in a small white town in Connecticut?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what comes with the territory of comedy. Comedians like Chris Rock and Bill Maher base their comedic material based on ? that they actually seriously believe and there are people that seriously agree and disagree with them. So yes, talking about race, politics, and popular news stories comes with a gamble that you may receive backlash.

Basically, comedians are realizing that they are better off only performing in front of crowds that agree with them before they even get on stage, not unlike politicians or musicians. Can a racist red neck comedian get a standing ovation at an HBCU? Can a pro black comedian get a standing ovation in a small white town in Connecticut?

Good points, but I'm disappointed ANYONE has a problem with Chris Rock's standup routine. He's the funniest comedian out there along with Kevin Hart and Dane Cook
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^dane cook is funny ?
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    ? is so true, though, especially with the younger generation. Its like they catch feelings over ever ? thing smh. I can't stand being people that sensitive, because I say a lot of random ? and I don't sugarcoat my opinions and thoughts.

I have two little brothers and i can cosign every single thing Chris Rock said. The new generation is softer then baby fingers. These new ? dont know anything about hard times or adversity, and want validation for everything. SMH at my lil brothers for getting mad for not getting any love for getting a C in a class. ? are to comfortable and brittle nowadays.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ^^dane cook is funny ?

He has his moments believe it or not.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    So ILL wrote: »

I have two little brothers and i can cosign every single thing Chris Rock said. The new generation is softer then baby fingers. These new ? dont know anything about hard times or adversity, and want validation for everything. SMH at my lil brothers for getting mad for not getting any love for getting a C in a class. ? are to comfortable and brittle nowadays.

Were the people who got offended at KKKramer soft?
  • janklow
    Options
    they can if they have good material.
    and it's not about crowds having to agree with you in advance; it's about people not being willing to listen at all. did you look at the interview?

"And by the way: An audience that’s not laughing is the biggest indictment that something’s too far. No comedian’s ever done a joke that bombs all the time and kept doing it. Nobody in the history of stand-up. Not one guy."

it's almost like Michael Richards going into a racist rant -which, incidentally, was not a joke, but an ? flipping out- would be something that wouldn't get a laugh.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    they can if they have good material.
    and it's not about crowds having to agree with you in advance; it's about people not being willing to listen at all. did you look at the interview?

"And by the way: An audience that’s not laughing is the biggest indictment that something’s too far. No comedian’s ever done a joke that bombs all the time and kept doing it. Nobody in the history of stand-up. Not one guy."

it's almost like Michael Richards going into a racist rant -which, incidentally, was not a joke, but an ? flipping out- would be something that wouldn't get a laugh.
    Go back and read KKKramer's interview after that incident. To him, he was trying to fuel his anger through comedy, only he failed miserably. And yes, there were slight giggles from the crowd during his rant.

Generally speaking, people are not going to line up to see someone who is known for saying things they find offensive or wrong BUT you never know who is in the audience. Again, that's the risk of comedy. Comedians, and not the shock content ones, use their perspectives as a basis for their material and the fact is, their perspective may conflict with people who might be willing to voice their disagreement.
  • janklow
    Options
    Go back and read KKKramer's interview after that incident. To him, he was trying to fuel his anger through comedy, only he failed miserably.
    i read what the dude said afterwards, but honestly, i strain to figure HOW he was trying to make a joke. i could see if he was just trying to be MAXIMIZE OFFENSIVE in the face of heckling that got to him... but that's still an angry outburst, not a joke.
    Generally speaking, people are not going to line up to see someone who is known for saying things they find offensive or wrong BUT you never know who is in the audience. Again, that's the risk of comedy.
    right, but there's still a difference between a venue declining to book a comedian if they don't think it'll make money (which is what it is) and a comedian saying "i don't want to work colleges because of the attitude of the kids there" (which is sad).

thing is, we bash right-wing guys for having closed minds and hating on dissent all the time, but i think we give left-wing guys a pass for doing the same thing.

• Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah its a cultural/generational shift....we live in an era where nerds are cool, shows like the Big bang theory are populair etc.

kids/new generation is less assertive and sensitive af.

its not only in the states, the hyper sensitivity is also present in Holland nowadays...

people are just so spoiled and bored nowadays that we live with hoards of naggers, people worrying about incredibly petty ? . No ambition, no soul. No more leaders, people just caught up in their comfort-zones.

the bitchazzness is strong. Its the digital era comrades. Willpower and discipline, patience and momentum bliss are dying.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Go back and read KKKramer's interview after that incident. To him, he was trying to fuel his anger through comedy, only he failed miserably.
    i read what the dude said afterwards, but honestly, i strain to figure HOW he was trying to make a joke. i could see if he was just trying to be MAXIMIZE OFFENSIVE in the face of heckling that got to him... but that's still an angry outburst, not a joke.
    Generally speaking, people are not going to line up to see someone who is known for saying things they find offensive or wrong BUT you never know who is in the audience. Again, that's the risk of comedy.
    right, but there's still a difference between a venue declining to book a comedian if they don't think it'll make money (which is what it is) and a comedian saying "i don't want to work colleges because of the attitude of the kids there" (which is sad).

thing is, we bash right-wing guys for having closed minds and hating on dissent all the time, but i think we give left-wing guys a pass for doing the same thing.

It is a fact that conservative minded individuals tend to avoid contrary thought because they don't want their ideas challenged.

It is a fact that liberal minded individuals tend to avoid contrary thought because they believe their ideas have already been tried and tested.
  • janklow
    Options
    It is a fact that individuals tend to avoid contrary thought because they don't want their ideas challenged.
    fixed that for you. you're going to pretend that being liberal exempts someone from angrily refusing debate?

• soul rattler
    Options
    It is a fact that individuals tend to avoid contrary thought because they don't want their ideas challenged.
    fixed that for you. you're going to pretend that being liberal exempts someone from angrily refusing debate?

Obviously my assertions are not universally true. They are, however, general truths.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Hopefully Chris Rock's movie on Friday is good, I didn't like any of the Grown Up movies to be honest
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know what he's talking about. DeRay played U of M my senior year and ? on everything not nailed down. Great show. Maybe these lily white institutions got those problems, but he's definitely got room to be offensive as ? in the M-Town.
  • janklow
    Options
    Obviously my assertions are not universally true. They are, however, general truths.
    as a general rule, i don't think being liberal means you're not out there angrily rejecting debate.