Sony Rejected Disney's Offer To Have Spider-Man Join The MCU

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Lights, Camera, Action!
SPIDER-MAN / 10 DEC 2014
MORE ON THE SONY/MARVEL/SPIDER-MAN SITUATION

BY SCOTT COLLURA

Last night a report came in that simultaneously overjoyed and yet broke the hearts of many Spider-Man fans: It turns out that Marvel and Sony Pictures have had talks about bringing the wallcrawler into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including the Captain America: Civil War movie. The character is of course an integral part of the comic-book version of that story, but those discussions had stalled. The leaked information on the discussions Marvel and Sony had comes from the trove of documents that have poured out of the latter studio in the wake of the hacking scandal it has been hit with. "The e-mails reveal extensive discussions between executives at Sony and Marvel owner Walt Disney, all the way up to their respective chief executives Kaz Hirai and Robert Iger,” says the paper. "In an Oct. 30 e-mail, Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad tells [Sony motion picture chief Amy Pascal] about a potential scenario that would see Marvel produce a new trilogy of Spider-Man movies while Sony retains ‘creative control, marketing and distribution.’”

How Sony would retain creative control seems unclear considering the tight reign that Marvel’s Kevin Feige holds over his studio’s output.

While that revelation came via leaked e-mails and documents uncovered by The Wall Street Journal, today Latino Review reports on some additional inside info on the subject.

For starters, LR’s Da7e says his source indicates that the deal Sony ultimately rejected was not a Marvel trilogy of Spider-Man movies that Sony would control. While that was mentioned in The Wall Street Journal’s story last night, what Sony finally passed on was instead a co-production arrangement where Marvel and Sony would split Spidey movie costs 60/40 (Marvel paying the 60%). Yes, Marvel would’ve shouldered more cost, but they also would’ve regained creative control over the character and films. This scenario sounds much more like the kind of deal Marvel’s Kevin Feige would be interested in.

So that makes more sense in a real-world sort of way, but still, Sony reportedly passed on this approach, preferring to keep Peter Parker and his alter ego in their creative corner. That said, LR’s sources also indicate that Sony Pictures’ parent company is none too pleased about the current situation at the studio and the internal communications and even movies that have leaked out. Additionally, they view “Sony Pictures’s handling of the Spider-Man property as disappointing. … Sony Japan thinks the Marvel deal for Spider-Man is still on the table and they want to renegotiate as a return to quality.” The sources also say that “the 60/40 split” can be negotiated and “Sony Entertainment’s October hard-line stance of wanting creative control is now mostly moot in the eyes of the higher-ups.”

Of course, even if this did somehow happen and Spider-Man became part of the MCU, there are still a ton of questions. For one, what happens to Andrew Garfield? Is the character recast? And what about Amazing Spider-Man producer Avi Arad, who has been a guiding force for Marvel and Spidey on the big screen for years? His relationship with Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige is said to be a frosty one since he left the studio, which certainly can’t help matters.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/10/more-on-the-sonymarvelspider-man-situation

Comments

• focus
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here's why Marvel wanted creative control apparently:
    Marvel Wants A Fresh Start With 'Spider-Man' Without Andrew Garfield
    Dec.12.14 – by Kellvin Chavez

We previously reported on the potential deal between Marvel and Sony to share the rights to Spider-Man at a 60/40 split, and that deal seems to be the one that will potentially be jump-started if Sony Pictures Entertainment continues to stumble in their handling of the Spider-Man franchise.

Sony is understandably preoccupied with the consequences of a massive hack that includes leaked films, downed intranet services and the leak of documents and e-mails, but should this deal move forward, we've learned some more details about what Spider-Man's potential return to Marvel would entail.

The 60/40 split still looks to be the divide with Sony handling distribution. However, Marvel's not inclined to give Sony creative control over the character, nor planning on honoring the contracts with Sony's Spider-Stars. More poking into the origins of the Aunt May solo film and Female Spider movie rumors revealed that these were actual Sony Picture Entertainment plans that Marvel knew about and severely disliked. Now that Marvel can have the rights to the character back, they plan to wipe the slate with the Amazing Spider-Man universe.

IF the Marvel/Sony deal were to go forward, Andrew Garfield would no longer be Peter Parker and any baggage from existing films, Raimi or Webb, would be non-canonical, Marvel doesn't want any part of those films. The idea is that the Spider-Man romance movie has been played out over five installments, so any new Spider-Man films would focus on the difficulties of being a teenager and a superhero with a romance side-story, not the film's focus. Marvel also thinks that the origin story is well-trodden territory, so any Spider-Man movies under this deal would begin with Peter Parker already leading a dual life. Spider-Man making his debut in Captain America: Civil War is still a distinct possibility and would serve as the character's introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But as of now Spider-Man will NOT be in Civil War. I was told that they have a script nailed down.

Marvel's desire to remove Andrew Garfield from the role was a major point of contention with Sony's Amy Pascal, traditionally a stalwart defender of the talent in her films. However, current events leave her positioned slightly weakened.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvel-wants-a-fresh-start-with-spider-man-without-andrew-garfield
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Marvel rights are all over the place
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Sony is prolly THE dumbest company on Earth SMMFH. As I said, ? like this is why they stay going broke and/or barely able to turn a profit quarterly and annually SMMFH. How you gonna tell Marvel how to put out their own star ? Aunt May movie ? Spidergirl ? SMMFH, Sony not even original just lazy w/ their ideas and doing anything they think will make money for their broke ? SMMFH. Of course Disney Marvel gonna step in and call their ? .

If I were Disney Marvel, if they didn't comply (and 60/40 is a GOOD ? deal considering it still allows Sony to use Spiderman), I'd just shut them down entirely from using Spiderman altogether. If they won't respect him why should I honor our arrangement ? FOH I can guaran-? -tee Disney Marvel will put out the BEST Spiderman movie ever. Same goes for X-Men. Iuno how Sony ? up Wolverine or the X-men, you'd have to be a real claffy to ? that up SMMFH.

Cosign but... x-men/wolverine is with fox. We've been over this. Definite cosign tho.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even though Sony is rejecting now if you read the article it seems inevitable that spiderman will land back with Marvel/Disney where it belongs. Dope considering 2-3 years ago that was an impossible idea.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Garfield isn't really the problem with the current Spiderman series but ? it, sony has done their damage. I'd rather start right over than fix somebody's ? ups too.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They just gone flood these streets with Spider-Man films huh
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the PlayStation the only good thing. Sony makes even their tv's aren't that fly.

Sony Japan really needs to shake things up and do something about Sony pictures.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Sony is prolly THE dumbest company on Earth SMMFH. As I said, ? like this is why they stay going broke and/or barely able to turn a profit quarterly and annually SMMFH. How you gonna tell Marvel how to put out their own star ? Aunt May movie ? Spidergirl ? SMMFH, Sony not even original just lazy w/ their ideas and doing anything they think will make money for their broke ? SMMFH. Of course Disney Marvel gonna step in and call their ? .

If I were Disney Marvel, if they didn't comply (and 60/40 is a GOOD ? deal considering it still allows Sony to use Spiderman), I'd just shut them down entirely from using Spiderman altogether. If they won't respect him why should I honor our arrangement ? FOH I can guaran-? -tee Disney Marvel will put out the BEST Spiderman movie ever. Same goes for X-Men. Iuno how Sony ? up Wolverine or the X-men, you'd have to be a real claffy to ? that up SMMFH.

Apple wouldn't have gotten so huge wasn't it for Sony's stupidity and greedyness
  • focus
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    Garfield isn't really the problem with the current Spiderman series but ? it, sony has done their damage. I'd rather start right over than fix somebody's ? ups too.

He`s not terrible or anything, but sounds like Marvel wants a real teenager. Not Garfield`s 31 yo ass pretending to be one.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »

He's a great actor and deserves better. Sony have ruined two attempts of Spider-Man - they should have left Sam Raimi to get on with the first series instead of crowbarring Venom into the third for no good reason and they should have trusted Marc Webb enough to support him and let him get on with this new version. Sony seem like they take every opportunity they have to immolate themselves so no surprise they're in such a bad state right now.