Do spirits exist?

And_So_It_Burns
And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in The Social Lounge
If your brain is responsible for your conciseness, personality and intelligence. What is a spirit responsible for and who actually believes these things exist?

Do spirits exist? 34 votes

Yes
76% 26 votes
No
23% 8 votes
«13

Comments

  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I talk as if I have a soul or a spirit but I really try and stick to things that can be verified. This kinda puts me in an awkward position because we can't even verify the mind. We all agree we have one, and use it and it is an existing thing, but no one can really 'find' it.


  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    spirit/
    some people hear it some people fear it/
    spirit/
    some people just wont go near it/
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Spirit is liken to that of the wind hence the name its unseen but you feel it and can see its wreckage.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I think some form of spirits exist....some are good, some are bad. I've never seen them but I know several people personally who have, and they don't really seem crazy, minus some exes. Not sure what they're responsible for though
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Spirit is liken to that of the wind hence the name its unseen but you feel it and can see its wreckage.

    Could you please explain how a spirit is felt?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Trashboat wrote: »
    They absolutely exist
    I have some in my house

    I call them vodka, scotch and cognac

    Lol, why do you think some can see them and some can't? I used to date a doctor who said people who see spirits are either schizophrenic (as I have said Zombie possibly is in previous threads) or have some other kind of mental illness. Not saying this is true but IDK, most of the people I know who've seen ghosts mostly seem like normal people. And I personally have never seen one, minus those drinks you mentioned
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not schizophrenic.

    We are all not the same. some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I am not schizophrenic.
    I don't think you're schizophrenic just delusional.
    zombie wrote: »
    We are all not the same.
    You're right some people are delusional while other are not.
    zombie wrote: »
    some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve

    Why believe something like a spirit exist if it can't objectively and repeatably be shown to exist?

    Let me show you how silly your arguments sounds...

    "How can people not believe in genies? some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve"
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I am not schizophrenic.

    We are all not the same. some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve

    I hope those ghosts don't bother you too much at night.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I am not schizophrenic.
    I don't think you're schizophrenic just delusional.
    zombie wrote: »
    We are all not the same.
    You're right some people are delusional while other are not.
    zombie wrote: »
    some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve

    Why believe something like a spirit exist if it can't objectively and repeatably be shown to exist?

    Let me show you how silly your arguments sounds...

    "How can people not believe in genies? some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve"

    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    You don't respect me, i can't respect you to me people who say the spiritual world does not exist are just as delusional as you think i am. Myself and many others have experienced it Talking to some of you people is like talking to a blind person about color they can never fully get it. Perhaps people who experience the spiritual have a sense that you don't have.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I despise Materialism and i am not talking about the love of money the viewpoint that says all that exist is matter is ? and even science is coming around to that fact
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    Right, but the subjective(in the mind) experience that is true for you may not be necessarily true for someone elses mind(or subjective reality), nor does your subjective experience have any bearing on objective(outside the mind) reality.

    You're penalizing people for not having the same subjective reality as you, but we never could because we're not you!

  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think spirit/mind is one in the same. Real question is what happens to it when we die? Does it die with the physical body or is it something beyond that. I need that answer. Nobody ? has it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think spirit/mind is one in the same. Real question is what happens to it when we die? Does it die with the physical body or is it something beyond that. I need that answer. Nobody ? has it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VXiF1MRvIE
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashboat wrote: »
    They absolutely exist
    I have some in my house

    I call them vodka, scotch and cognac

    You know why alcohol is called spirits?
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I am not schizophrenic.
    I don't think you're schizophrenic just delusional.
    zombie wrote: »
    We are all not the same.
    You're right some people are delusional while other are not.
    zombie wrote: »
    some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve

    Why believe something like a spirit exist if it can't objectively and repeatably be shown to exist?

    Let me show you how silly your arguments sounds...

    "How can people not believe in genies? some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve"

    Well many people have actually repeatedly experienced these things that's why they believe know because it got pounded into their head until they got the point. I'm talking about overt ? like repeatedly seeing apparitions, things like that. People always like to talk like belief in these things is just a preference and not based off real life occurrences. In reality many people have more of a logical reason to believe in spirits than certain scientific principles.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    G.Avant wrote: »
    Trashboat wrote: »
    They absolutely exist
    I have some in my house

    I call them vodka, scotch and cognac

    You know why alcohol is called spirits?

    Cuz it puts people in too many kinds of spirits?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    Right, but the subjective(in the mind) experience that is true for you may not be necessarily true for someone elses mind(or subjective reality), nor does your subjective experience have any bearing on objective(outside the mind) reality.

    You're penalizing people for not having the same subjective reality as you, but we never could because we're not you!

    There are somethings that are collectively subjective meaning anyone who experiences it will have a similar experience but will lack a way to objectively prove the reality of what they experienced without personal input.

    being subjective is more like giving a opinion about the reality you experienced it does not invalidate an experiences reality, a subjective experience is not based on imagination it's a personal perspective not an invention of the mind.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    zombie wrote: »
    I am not schizophrenic.
    I don't think you're schizophrenic just delusional.
    zombie wrote: »
    We are all not the same.
    You're right some people are delusional while other are not.
    zombie wrote: »
    some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve

    Why believe something like a spirit exist if it can't objectively and repeatably be shown to exist?

    Let me show you how silly your arguments sounds...

    "How can people not believe in genies? some people just cannot see they are blind, third eye is closed they are spiritually ? blind deaf and dumb. If you hold to a purely physical view of reality how the ? are you going to comprehend the spiritual?? you cannot and won't evolve"

    The would genie is taken from the Arabic word for a spirit, which they called Djinni.

    So basically nothing you said was any different than what he Proposed.

    The science you worship acknowledges the existence of multiple dimensions. Just because it is too infantile to foray into the topography of said planes doesn't make the multitude of schools whom profess to train people in activating the faculties that make travel and perception of said planes any less legit.

    In other words, there are ways to experience it yourself. You're just too lazy to take the time to research and apply the knowledge.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭

    zombie wrote: »
    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    That's fine but please don't expect anyone to take what you believe as fact. We scientists and engineers have an obligation to believe what is true. Things subjective can never shown to be true and honestly, there isn't a good reason to believe it.
    zombie wrote: »
    You don't respect me, i can't respect you to me people who say the spiritual world does not exist are just as delusional as you think i am.
    This is far from the truth. "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." There is no superior evidence that a spirit world exist. Until something can be shown to be true, you don't believe in it. That's not delusion, that's called being a rational human being.
    zombie wrote: »
    Myself and many others have experienced it Talking to some of you people is like talking to a blind person about color they can never fully get it. Perhaps people who experience the spiritual have a sense that you don't have.
    Which is more likely? The laws of the physical universe momentarily ceased to exist or you misinterpreted what you saw?

  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Meroe wrote: »

    The would genie is taken from the Arabic word for a spirit, which they called Djinni.

    umm yes this is a well known fact. What's your point? Any spiritual entity could have been used in my example.
    Meroe wrote: »
    So basically nothing you said was any different than what he Proposed.
    Umm yes they're vastly different. I could explain the difference if you have troubles understanding.
    Meroe wrote: »
    The science you worship
    I don't worship anything but if something had to be worshiped it would be the thing that vastly improved everyone's life and living expectancy like science.
    Meroe wrote: »
    acknowledges the existence of multiple dimensions. Just because it is too infantile to foray into the topography of said planes doesn't make the multitude of schools whom profess to train people in activating the faculties that make travel and perception of said planes any less legit.


    Please don't pretend to be scientifically literate. You'll embarrass your self. First of all, the minority of cosmologists that do believe in multi universes do not believe these are of supernatural origin or nature so your point is moot regardless. Even so, it's only conjecture and not a proven scientific theory. . There isn't a overwhelming majority of scientist that believes in such.
    Meroe wrote: »
    In other words, there are ways to experience it yourself. You're just too lazy to take the time to research and apply the knowledge.

    Not lazy just too rational to believe in pseudoscience.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    zombie wrote: »
    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    That's fine but please don't expect anyone to take what you believe as fact. We scientists and engineers have an obligation to believe what is true. Things subjective can never shown to be true and honestly, there isn't a good reason to believe it.
    zombie wrote: »
    You don't respect me, i can't respect you to me people who say the spiritual world does not exist are just as delusional as you think i am.
    This is far from the truth. "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." There is no superior evidence that a spirit world exist. Until something can be shown to be true, you don't believe in it. That's not delusion, that's called being a rational human being.
    zombie wrote: »
    Myself and many others have experienced it Talking to some of you people is like talking to a blind person about color they can never fully get it. Perhaps people who experience the spiritual have a sense that you don't have.
    Which is more likely? The laws of the physical universe momentarily ceased to exist or you misinterpreted what you saw?

    I don't care if you take it as fact or not that's not why i come into these kinds of threads. The only reasons i need to believe in anything is my own. You don't want to place any importance on subjective experience that's fine but don't disparage those of us who do, or act as if you have the answers because you don't.

    what superior evidence do you have that makes my subjective experience of the supernatural a delusion?? none and ANYTHING THAT IS logically possible can be believed to be real and the rejection of any logical possibility no mater how unlikely is not rational, unless you can prove that a possibility is an impossibility YOU CANNOT positively make a claim about it's reality. You cannot use conventional methods to define the supernatural.

    WE DON'T HAVE A FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE PHYSICAL LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE so to just dismiss the interpretation of any individuals experience without hard proof of the contrary is pure arrogance.

    I have a degree in science and what is "true" is murky as ? especially when it comes to certain sciences so don't give me the science is the sole determining factor on truth ? .
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meroe wrote: »

    The would genie is taken from the Arabic word for a spirit, which they called Djinni.

    umm yes this is a well known fact. What's your point? Any spiritual entity could have been used in my example.
    Meroe wrote: »
    So basically nothing you said was any different than what he Proposed.
    Umm yes they're vastly different. I could explain the difference if you have troubles understanding.
    Meroe wrote: »
    The science you worship
    I don't worship anything but if something had to be worshiped it would be the thing that vastly improved everyone's life and living expectancy like science.
    Meroe wrote: »
    acknowledges the existence of multiple dimensions. Just because it is too infantile to foray into the topography of said planes doesn't make the multitude of schools whom profess to train people in activating the faculties that make travel and perception of said planes any less legit.


    Please don't pretend to be scientifically literate. You'll embarrass your self. First of all, the minority of cosmologists that do believe in multi universes do not believe these are of supernatural origin or nature so your point is moot regardless. Even so, it's only conjecture and not a proven scientific theory. . There isn't a overwhelming majority of scientist that believes in such.
    Meroe wrote: »
    In other words, there are ways to experience it yourself. You're just too lazy to take the time to research and apply the knowledge.

    Not lazy just too rational to believe in pseudoscience.

    HAS science vastly improved human life?? an argument could be made that the creations of science are actively killing the entire planet and human life being longer does not equal life being better. Science might not fully accept multiple dimension as really existing but science does not categorically rejects it's possibility either which is hypocrisy.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    zombie wrote: »
    Meroe wrote: »

    The would genie is taken from the Arabic word for a spirit, which they called Djinni.

    umm yes this is a well known fact. What's your point? Any spiritual entity could have been used in my example.
    Meroe wrote: »
    So basically nothing you said was any different than what he Proposed.
    Umm yes they're vastly different. I could explain the difference if you have troubles understanding.
    Meroe wrote: »
    The science you worship
    I don't worship anything but if something had to be worshiped it would be the thing that vastly improved everyone's life and living expectancy like science.
    Meroe wrote: »
    acknowledges the existence of multiple dimensions. Just because it is too infantile to foray into the topography of said planes doesn't make the multitude of schools whom profess to train people in activating the faculties that make travel and perception of said planes any less legit.


    Please don't pretend to be scientifically literate. You'll embarrass your self. First of all, the minority of cosmologists that do believe in multi universes do not believe these are of supernatural origin or nature so your point is moot regardless. Even so, it's only conjecture and not a proven scientific theory. . There isn't a overwhelming majority of scientist that believes in such.
    Meroe wrote: »
    In other words, there are ways to experience it yourself. You're just too lazy to take the time to research and apply the knowledge.

    Not lazy just too rational to believe in pseudoscience.

    HAS science vastly improved human life?? an argument could be made that the creations of science are actively killing the entire planet and human life being longer does not equal life being better. Science might not fully accept multiple dimension as really existing but science does not categorically rejects it's possibility either which is hypocrisy.

    This is by far the most ignorant thing you've said. Has science improved human life? Look at the correlation between technological, medical, agricultural and biological advances and life expectancy. Science has eradicated small pox for crying out loud.

    Lol longer human life doens't equal life being better? I'm done you gave the false impression of being a critical thinker. People take everyday scientific advancements for granted. Do you think life was better in the dark ages as opposed to now lmao....I'm done